Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 Fiesta ST - comments from a new owner

Hi all, thought I'd post some comments and observations as a new owner of a 2016 Fiesta ST. These are things I've noticed that I think would be helpful to know for somebody considering one of these cars. For perspective, I am a middle aged male in the US. The Fiesta ST is not my only car. I've owned many cars (more than 30) over the years, and always seek something fun or unusual, must have some personality. I like fast cars, but I've had fun cars that are not fast (FRS and a TDI for example). The Fiesta will be my DD winter car. My DD summer car cost ~4x as much and has ~3x the power, but is not 3 or 4 times the fun. This is my first Ford though!

My Fiesta does not have Recaros. I test drove a Fiesta with the Recaros and found them OK. The base seats for me are also OK. I have had a few cars with Recaro seats and generally like them, but for the Fiesta I personally don't think they are worth the $2k cost. That's nearly 10% the cost of the entire car. The Recaros do look great, but that doesn't make them worth the cost to me. The base seats are actually fairly comfortable and adjustable. The base seat in the ST DOES have a lumbar adjustment, although it is only a two position option.

My car has the factory optional Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 tires. I specifically wanted a car with the AS tires, as this will be my primary winter driver. I realize AS tires are a compromise all around, but I'm willing to trade ultimate dry summer traction and ultimate snow/ice tire traction to have a little of both. The advantage of being able to safely drive in temps below 40F is much more important to me than being able to plow through snow drifts with dedicated snows or pull 1.1G corners with high performance summer tires (I have those on my summer DD anyway). In my area, we get some snow but I don't expect to be driving through heavy snow. We do get cold temps though, so that's a must. Lastly, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 tires are VERY good all season tires. I am frankly amazed at how far tire technology has improved in recent years. This is true for high performance summer and snow tires also, but a good AS tire today is not as much of a compromise as it was 10 or even 5 years ago.

I did get the nav and sunroof options. I like them both. The nav seems to work reasonably quickly and works well with voice commands. I have no experience with Sync prior to this car, so all i can say is it seems to work well in this car. The factory stereo really sucks though. The tone is awful, very flat and I can't seem to make it sound much better with any of the sound settings. I'm no audiophile, but this is one of the worst sounding OEM systems I've encountered. Odd because Sync seems pretty good. I am anxiously awaiting the Android Auto release - fingers crossed it will actually be available someday. The sunroof can be wide open and has an acceptable level of wind noise.

This car has more torque steer than I like. Second gear can be dangerous if on any kind of crown or uneven surface. I don't know how those of you with power upgrades manage this. This is the biggest knock I can give the car right now. Speaking of power, I find the car has plenty to make it fun in stock form. I have no intentions of doing any power mods. For me, this car fits its intended purpose just right with stock power levels (that is, I intend to use it as a daily street commuter - no track time).

According to the shipping manifest from my dealer, my car weighs 2643 pounds. That seems light according to the specs I've seen. I am assuming that is with oil/coolant but probably only a gallon of gas or so. Has anybody actually weighed their car to find out precise weight?

The seating position is OK. I am 6'1" and with the driver seat in a comfortable position I find I am sitting far enough back that my left elbow has to move forward to use the front door arm rest. It is a little awkward but not terrible. Overall I find it a comfortable small car.

Compared to other similarly powered cars I've owned, such as FRS and S2000, I find the Fiesta as engaging but in a different way. Those other cars are focused bespoke sports cars, fit for the purpose of being a good sports car. The Fiesta is first a practical small hatchback that has been improved upon in ST form. The Fiesta is a very fun car, and engaging, but feels very different to me than a similarly powered and sized dedicated RWD sports car. That should be no surprise, but thought it worth mentioning for somebody comparing that class of car. If I wanted a track day car or focused canyon carver, I would prefer FRS/S2000/Miata. Fiesta offers much more practicality with similar 'fun' levels though.

One last thing - my car has the standard gray rado wheels and silver calipers. I've seen other 16s with the same gray wheels but red calipers, and I think red calipers were standard in earlier years? Does anybody know the story with which cars get what color brakes? Thanks

Congratulations on your purchase! Great write up! Some really great observations. I didn't actually know that the base seats (we only can get Recaros in Canada) have lumbar support. As for the torque steer, I bought the MR230 pack and the torque steer gets even worse with the extra 50lb-ft of torque. Also, glad to hear I'm not the only one with the awkward elbow on the door sill.

With regards to the audio, have you tried setting it to driver only settings? It focuses the sound a little more, but given the issue is likely the speakers, there is only so much you can do.

As nice review from someone who is familiar with a lot of cars. Congratulations, I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy.

FYI - For 2014/15, the red calipers came with the optional Rado wheels. For 2016, they also came with the optional wheels, now black. Someone forgot to tell Mexico and they continued to include them with the Rado wheels, which were now standard, but not on the Black optionals. After having to replace the calipers of quite a few owners who went for the optional black wheels, Ford finally revised production to standard with Rado, red with optional black wheels.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Congrats and WELCOME!

Thank you for making me feel better about my base seats, as I also think that 10% of the car's cost is a little too much (besides, I've had VERY BAD experiences with aftermarket Recaro products in the past, and do not trust them, and have 'sworn off' buying anything from them going forward!). [wink]

I also ordered the car with the Pilot Sport AS/3s on the standard gray wheels ($500.00 for black paint, and red calipers?!! NO THANKS!), as I also was only concerned with use in cold DRY conditions, and was ensured by the Michelin techs that these tires will NOT turn to blocks of ice in sub 20*F temps, like everyone thinks that they will (because they are not dedicated winter rubber compounds), albeit they will obviously not be any good in DEEP snow due to their less siped, all season tread pattern.

I do plan on getting both a max performance, pure summer tire/wheel combo, and a pure winter tire/wheel setup in the future, since this IS my only car (LUCKY you, getting to keep your high powered, RWD machine!).
That is also why I will pursue some minor, well planned out, performance mods, but will stop well short of 300 WHP, regardless of whether or not I add a limited slip diff.

Excellent review RBatty! [twothumb] I got on mine today and I was thinking the same thing about the torque steer. Mine is a lease and I am thinking about purchasing this car when it comes time to turn her back in. This is by far one of the funnest cars I have ever had.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
For Canadian orders, can you get an optional lsd or no?
I am wondering IF the Quaife can be factory ordered on ANY of the FiSTs outside of the states, besides with the special M-Sport limited edition available in England and I'm guessing Europe as well?? [dunno]

I too shyed away from the Recaros. I have them in my mustang (different ones obviously) but do not care much for them. I will be using mine for a daily driver as well, so I fully agree. Torque steer isn't quite bad at stock power levels, but coming from RWD cars it is annoying. The worst car I've drove when it came to torque steer was an SRT4 neon - shortly after they came out.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I noticed torque steer on my anemic (by comparison) '89 A2 16V GTI, so I fully expect to notice it as well on this car (regardless of the excellent job Ford has done to quell it as much as possible), especially also coming from a powerful RWD ride for the past 20 years. ;)

I noticed torque steer on my anemic (by comparison) '89 A2 16V GTI, so I fully expect to notice it as well on this car (regardless of the excellent job Ford has done to quell it as much as possible), especially also coming from a powerful RWD ride for the past 20 years. ;)
Pics of the gti please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joesiris

I too thought 2 grand was a lot for the recaros...not worth it, but to me the black wheels with the red calipers were, however I will say this, they are painted not powder coated so be careful not to curb check them (like my wife did) cuz it will chip the paint right off. I have found touch up paint for the grey wheels but not the black, so if any of you know where to get some let me know please.

but welcome to the community, they are fun cars arnt they

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Pics of the gti please
It is SOOO long gone that I do not even have any digital pics of it (gone BEFORE digital cameras AND any phones with cameras were even in existence, and I know that it is impossible for many on here to fathom a time like that!!), and I cannot even find any printed, regular film pics of it to scan even if I had a scanner).

But it was red, stock engine save for a K&N drop in, Bilstein HD shocks, stock height but higher rate than stock Shine Suspension springs (I worked A LOT of SCCA Pro Rallies and had to have great ground clearance to get through some of the stages to work and transit to other stages), mud flaps, Hella Euro headlights, PIAA driving lights on their own mounts/relays, Momo Monte Carlo shape (forgot the model #) suede steering wheel and hub, Sparco 'reclining shell' seats (they haven't even make this model for almost 25 years now), Schroth ASM 'autocross' harnesses, custom made by 'Borla East' 304 2.5" cat back, and 3 sets of Revolution 5 spoke 'Classic' black painted wheels, one set in 15x7 (summer/autocross with various 205/50-15s on them) and 2 sets of winter/'working rallies' 14x6es with various Nokian Hakkas on them.

It was fun until a woman in a Windstar minivan t-boned me at almost 40 mph, totaling it, and then I bought a T Bird SC.

I too thought 2 grand was a lot for the recaros...not worth it, but to me the black wheels with the red calipers were, however I will say this, they are painted not powder coated so be careful not to curb check them (like my wife did) cuz it will chip the paint right off. I have found touch up paint for the grey wheels but not the black, so if any of you know where to get some let me know please.

but welcome to the community, they are fun cars arnt they
Honestly, I found the generic gloss black touch up pen from Rustoleum to be so close to spot on, I had to get down by the wheel and work to find where I'd fixed the curb rash.

joesiris

Honestly, I found the generic gloss black touch up pen from Rustoleum to be so close to spot on, I had to get down by the wheel and work to find where I'd fixed the curb rash.
thanks for that insight, ill have to try that...its not a big chip so it should be ok

thanks for that insight, ill have to try that...its not a big chip so it should be ok
I'll grab the color code when I get home in about an hour. For a quick and easy fix, I'd say it's at least 99% of the way to perfect.

Hi neighbor. Well sort of. Like you my ST is a DD with no mods. Your logic makes perfect sense to me. I bought mine used (early 2015 build) and it had the Recaros, Nav and sunroof. In my opinion Fort Wayne is right on the edge of dedicated snow tire territory. Some winters an AS would be fine. I do run dedicated snows. What I like about the gray wheels is that I can get away with wheels loaded with brake dust and they don't show it as much as other colors. After 8,000 miles I'm not that impressed with the seats as far as comfort. I definetly agree with you on why not to get summer tires. I've got the factory summer tires and I'm starting to get nervous about the temp. even though snow is not in the forcast yet.

joesiris

no that's perfect, I picture goes a long way, thank you again...is this something I pick up at any auto parts store, or general retail?