Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 Fiesta ST hill start assist deactivation?

pwnall1337

Vendor
The owners manual refers me to page 84 which is general use of the ok button and 4 arrows which my 2016 fiesta st does not have. I'm not able to figure out how to disable this in my 16 ST.

Any advice?

If you have SYNC and the touchscreen like my 16, you will find it under the Settings "Vehicle" Tab, and itll list "Hill Start Assist" and you just press the on/off button it displays next to it

mnspeak

Another question about HILL START. I haven't had the hill start actually engage even though it's turned ON. How steep of a hill are we talking before it activates?

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
none of us know cuz we all turned it off. I killed it on mine during the test drive lol

Another question about HILL START. I haven't had the hill start actually engage even though it's turned ON. How steep of a hill are we talking before it activates?
Not very steep at all. My driveway (slightly more than normal slope) activates it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
to activate it you must be on a hillish incline. Pressing the brakes and the clutch, be in 1st gear, release the brakes with the clutch still in. You now have 3 seconds to get going before timeout.

out of curiosity why would you turn it off?

I live in a hilly area in New York.. Im constantly being tailgated sitting at a light or stopping at a stop sign and someone is an inch off my bumper on an upward incline. its helpful rather than releasing the clutch a bit to engage the powa before letting off the brakes every time I stop....

I leave it on. I know how to start on a hill, but sometimes you get on a real steep hill with someone tailgating you and it's nice to have. There is a certain angle the slope has to be for it to activate, but it does if it's working right.

Same for me. I've been driving a standard for 50 years and learned how to do hills on a notoriously steep one, with a stoplight at the top, in Portland ME, in the winter. It was especially interesting with a car right on my tail. We always said a silent prayer for green while on the way up.

That being said, I don't mind Ford making it easier for me, and, at least for really steep hills, it probably saves wear and tear on the clutch, although there always is the e-brake.

haste

1000 Post Club
hill start works great, but damn it feels weird not rolling back slightly on an incline from a stop...i still give it more gas than i should.

I leave mine off. The clutch and throttle in this car is pretty forgiving so I don't have issues with the hills around here. Granted Kansas is not very hilly.

Sent from my graphing calculator.

I leave mine on. I've been driving manuals for twenty years, so not worried about hills, but it's just so convenient.

Honest question, why turn it off? I can't think of a single logical reason.

Coming from another guy who has never owned an automatic transmission vehicle in his entire lifetime, there are no logical reasons to turn it off. My driveway also has an incline, and I quite enjoy having the feature.

It can help save the clutch, and that is enough reason for me to keep it on. The F80 M3 also has hill assist, and that's a race car.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
A day may come when you buy a car without it. I'd rather not be spoiled by the nanny. I hold the hill assist in the same regard I hold those newfangled rev matching stick shifts... crutches that soften ones skills. But to each there own!

I will never buy another car ever in my life that does not have hill assist. The hill assist function by simply having it equipped has instantaneously made me forget how to clutch it up an incline. I must admit, I am now soft. There's no way that I can ever learn this battle-hardened skill again, despite having already learned it once and perfecting it over the course of three decades. I am ruined for life because of this damned crutch referred to as hill assist.

DAMN YOU HILL ASSIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSTTTT!

I've been driving manuals for the best part of 45 years (yes, I am an olephart), and think that the hill assist is the bees knees. It makes things so much simpler, and faster. Just out of interest, all those of you that have said that you know how to deal with hill starts without any sort of hill assist, how in detail do you do it? Just interested to see if it gells with the technique I developed over the years.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I've been driving manuals for almost as long (~41 years, only my very first car was a slushbox), and I've always (on VERY steep hills) used the hand brake with the locking button depressed and then used the clutch and gas to hold a little pressure against the hand brake until the light changed, or I got up to the stop sign, then released the brake handle, and the clutch, and hit the accelerator.

I can think of one stop light on top of a 12% hill in Chatham, N.J. where the hill start assist will be most welcome. [wink]

amac3804

I don't really enjoy using it on the FiST however I have found it to be really solid on another WRX I've driven which was a bit disappointing.

To me it felt somewhat jerky and was engaging on slopes that was so minimal that it became annoying. Maybe I've got issues with my electrics, idk, but I turned it off after my first drive out of the dealership.