Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 Ford Fiesta Se Hatchback

Team,

I figured I'd make this post here to provide everyone with a guide on the specific car listed in the title.

I've spent over 2k on fixing some issues with my Ford Fiesta and some problems I'm currently experiencing.

Problems I've fixed:
- Timing Belt at 100k miles: if you start to feel rough idles, Stalls, rough starts, check engine light, throttle issues, kick backs after acceleration it's most likely timing belt. Don't take it to dealership they will charge you around 900. Take it to a mom and pop shop. You will save some money.

- Small Leak. They had to change the canister. From my experience sensors are usually fine.

- Random lights flashing on the dash and they disappeared... Still working on this but it doesn't mess with anything apparently. I believe it's electrical issue. Ford did a piss poor job at sealing the vehicle from rain.

- pcm re programming. There's a class action law suit for this vehicle that you can take advantage of. It's around 200 bucks to get your pcm reprogrammed. This fixes rpm issues and try throttle issues. Gear changing issues with the duel clutch.

- I've actually changed some sensors and it seemed to do nothing with the problems I've been having.

- vehicle dies sometimes. Causing me to not be able to get into my vehicle. The third time I had enough and decided to get me a 30 dollar car lockout kit that I keep under my car. I had a mechanic install a nice box under the vehicle where I keep it just in case it dies. It has a lock. I know it's not smart because of thief's. But what ever. The key doesn't work at all 😂 when the battery is dead. Can't get into the trunk because it's electric. So breaking in is a must. Or just leave your hood unlatched at all times.

- catalytic converter replacement. Rough idles. Smelly exhaust. Smog type color.

- ive had problems with my heater working on specific higher settings. Motor blower seems to die. I changed out the resister twice and it's always the motor blower.

Stay away from this vehicle. I've spent over 2k on this piece of shit. I recommend just giving it back to the dealer and paying the loan 😂 You will save more money by just buying a used car. Bad car to have for your first car.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Most of the issues you are describing are not relevant to the ST model or are just general car maintenance.

OP
F
Thread Starter #3
If this post violates the forums structure. I ask that a staff member please remove it. If it violates I apologize.

Most of this is general car maintenance.
I believe for base models it is recommended you change the timing belt at 100k miles anyways.
Small/minor leaks are to be expected of almost any vehicle once it reaches over 6 digits in miles.
Is your random lights flashing only during or after driving in the rain? I ask since you mention poor sealing. There may be a small stripped wire depending on what light is showing up on the dash.
Your vehicle being dead is likely a bad battery or a bad alternator. Is your car still on the original battery? if so I would replace the battery because it is likely not holding a charge well.
A catalytic converter will go bad if it sees an improper air / fuel ratio. Which is why they go bad on tuned vehicles since they run rich. I would recommend a valve adjustment since it is needed at your mileage anyways. I assume something is off and it is either running too rich or too lean.
For your heater issue, I would just stay away from the highest setting. Just because you can max it out, doesn't mean you should. If you put a speaker to max volume 24/7 it is not going to last. If you are redlining your car 24/7 it is not going to last. Apply this to your heater and it should last a lot longer

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
My wife's SE had to have all the brakes replaced because the dealer we got it from never checked the car before selling it. Cost a fortune. I heard the Fiestas have transmission problems too, big time. Maybe the new ownership of the dealership will make changes for the better.

My wife's SE had to have all the brakes replaced because the dealer we got it from never checked the car before selling it. Cost a fortune. I heard the Fiestas have transmission problems too, big time. Maybe the new ownership of the dealership will make changes for the better.
I'm assuming your wife's SE is an automatic? If so yes they do have a lot of trans issues. One of my mechanic friends used to work at a Ford dealership and he warned me about the trans after I bought the car but he then realized I had the 5spd and said the issues were only with the autos. The brakes on the SE are extremely cheap imo. I'm looking at upgrading to some better street pads. I'm assuming most of your cost went towards labor because the parts themselves are cheaper than 90% of other cars on the road.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You are correct. It's now running as it should and the labour costs were high but at least they're warranted parts.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I'm assuming your wife's SE is an automatic? If so yes they do have a lot of trans issues. One of my mechanic friends used to work at a Ford dealership and he warned me about the trans after I bought the car but he then realized I had the 5spd and said the issues were only with the autos. The brakes on the SE are extremely cheap imo. I'm looking at upgrading to some better street pads. I'm assuming most of your cost went towards labor because the parts themselves are cheaper than 90% of other cars on the road.
Do we know if the SE brakes are the same as ST? If not I’m sure you can get some ST brakes from someone here that’s doing a BBK for cheap

Do we know if the SE brakes are the same as ST? If not I’m sure you can get some ST brakes from someone here that’s doing a BBK for cheap
The brakes are different, in the rear we have drums and ST model has disk. New parking brake cables are required but other than that it is bolt on. The front brakes is a different story. The whole knuckle is different to give the ST a faster steering response. So on top of a bigger caliper and rotor, the knuckle is also required. Not a big deal in my opinion. Will 100% do this when a good deal pops up.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
The brakes are different, in the rear we have drums and ST model has disk. New parking brake cables are required but other than that it is bolt on. The front brakes is a different story. The whole knuckle is different to give the ST a faster steering response. So on top of a bigger caliper and rotor, the knuckle is also required. Not a big deal in my opinion. Will 100% do this when a good deal pops up.
I have a full set of OEM calipers but I'm on the opposite coast.

I have a full set of OEM calipers but I'm on the opposite coast.
If the price is good shipped I'd take them. I've never changed the pads and rotors on this car so I'm sure it's due soon. My zip code in 92503 if you are willing to ship and check cost.