Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2J-Racing Cowl Induction Intake

Trader history for joe@2j-racing (0)

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Why is the pipe length a problem? It's only marginally longer than stock and has smoother bends. Plastic is less resistant to heatsoak, but takes special manufacturing processes to make it right. Thats why most people can't do it ;)

Ian
Who said stock was the best way to make power? Maybe so but custom bending then welding a piece together seems more labor intensive. You compare the the filter on the intake to stock filter. How much better is it then the drop in?

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
in past experience; I've seen companies that don't take negative criticism well and end up stopping any future plans for items. sometimes saying nothing is better if egos/pride get hurt easy. but I feel people should say what they think and work together for the betterment of future items.

unrelated to anything going on here.[offtopic][loveboost]

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I agree. Future items are born out of controversy. Better items are made when people don't just buy blindly and actually consider results.
I agree with your logic on an enthusiast's standpoint, but at the same time you have to look at things from a business standpoint ( if you are a company like Cobb, 2JR, etc). If all you have are customers who don't buy parts because they think that future parts will be better, then the companies who start the rollout of parts for any given vehicle first...will fail, then the companies who are waiting to see what kind of aftermarket following the given vehicle will have will see there is no money to be made and move on.
I have the Cobb and I really like it. With that being said, I have modified my lower box to fit a larger filter. I have no issue with the piping length as I like where it is. I actually have the 2JR intake on order but have thought a lot about this set-up and have made the decision that it's not the best setup for me in a daily driven vehicle in an area where it rain/ storms often. It is spoken for as of now, btw. I have looked at that area under the cowl and water does get in there in heavy rain and the filter of the 2JR sits right in that area. The 2JR looks to be outstanding for a dedicated race car though.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
I agree with your logic on an enthusiast's standpoint, but at the same time you have to look at things from a business standpoint ( if you are a company like Cobb, 2JR, etc). If all you have are customers who don't buy parts because they think that future parts will be better, then the companies who start the rollout of parts for any given vehicle first...will fail, then the companies who are waiting to see what kind of aftermarket following the given vehicle will have will see there is no money to be made and move on.
I have the Cobb and I really like it. With that being said, I have modified my lower box to fit a larger filter. I have no issue with the piping length as I like where it is. I actually have the 2JR intake on order but have thought a lot about this set-up and have made the decision that it's not the best setup for me in a daily driven vehicle in an area where it rain/ storms often. It is spoken for as of now, btw. I have looked at that area under the cowl and water does get in there in heavy rain and the filter of the 2JR sits right in that area. The 2JR looks to be outstanding for a dedicated race car though.
I agree to an extent. If controversy or scrutiny wasn't around a engine could never develop. Look at the 2jz from just the early 2000's to now. Improvements .

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I agree to an extent. If controversy or scrutiny wasn't around a engine could never develop. Look at the 2jz from just the early 2000's to now. Improvements .
Oh no doubt., but if you or I could know/see the amount of money and time that went into that, lol. Not only hardcore automotive gurus but also new people to the game, who will blindly buy. I'd imagine it would be ridiculous.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I'm not arguing with anyone. What i'll point out is that I said the 2J is built in the USA, and I also said, "preliminary testing". If it was "published testing", then it would be published or simply "testing". The testing that was done, was not done by me. And the test results were not published because.... Of things like that. He/we didn't want to make a thing about it. As a matter of fact, the "tester" is keeping his cobb air intake ( with a bigger filter installed inside the box ).

I'm not even looking back, but if I ( me ) said that the cobb filter was made in china ( which I assume everything plastic comes from china, lol ) then I'm sorry I assumed wrong if its made in the USA ( but I don't remember posting that, but I guess i could have ).

Everything else I said about the cobb were positives, other than the price. And me ( my opinion ), the injen cost less than 1/2 as much and has with-in 1-2hp the same gains. The 2J will no-doubt have better gains and cost 1/2 as much ( all be it pretty loud gains, lol ). But that makes me question where a $300 air intake fits into a market with $150 intakes that does the same things.

$50 Stock box + cobb drop in = quiet cheap little power gain
$150 Injen = gets your noise on, cheap, some power gains.
$150 2J race = loud, cheap, real measurable gains+response.
$300 ($320 from what some have said). Looks great. Gets your noise on, Not cheap at all, some power gains.

It really is like buying a 2008 V8 M3 over the 335i m-sport, then getting your ass handed to you by said 335i lol.

I personally don't can't imagine why anyone would spend $300 on any air intake for ANY CAR. Maybe if it had twin air filters and twin maf adaptors, and some 3+ inch piping.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
There will be folks here who invest $200-$300 on the 2JR when it's said and done...with the intake, extension harness, shipping and something to block the water from the filter...just saying, lol. Some...not all :)

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Ok.... I did look back. I never said the cobb was not made in the USA ( although if I was asked, i would have assuming it was ). What I said was that plastic is cheap ( it is... Its cheap to mass produce ). Not meaning its "cheap" as in "not good". I even put that I like that is has plastic tubes/piping. The point about that was is... Have custom bends, custom welded with maf adapters, and a name brand filter, and check your price... I have the tooling, and the skill to build it myself, but its actually just about as cheap to just buy it from Joe and 100x easier and faster. For $150 I figured it would cost me total to build it, and the time, I actually didn't think it would be worth it. Now 2J selling it for $150 and that's it, I'd say its def worth the trouble, lol.
On the flip side... Molded plastic, and a filter ( that your not paying for a name brand sticker for ) means the cost to build is relatively low. Doesn't mean the product will be poor or unreliable, just means you could sell it for $90 and make a profit. If Joe can sell these for $150 and make a profit, imagine how much profit is in a $300 plastic intake.

And less face it... An air intake is not the same as wind tunnel testing the an air brake wing on a super car. Or thermal testing cylinder heads on an engine dyno. While I agree some development could and did go into the air intakes on both sides ( all sides ), its not really a formula 1 type team on the "design side". So.... One is $150. Another is $150. Where does the $300 fit in ? Why is it $300 ?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Some will buy the cobb intake for $320 and then order a new bigger filter from summit racing for $70, making it close to $400, lol. But I get what your saying jpdc, lol

My 2Jr will cost me $162 shipped, lol.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
@Sour, just for kicks the BMW comparison is hilarious! It's like hey do you want to choose between S65 crank bearing issues or N54 turbo / waste gate issues LOL! Oh BMW's

Some will buy the cobb intake for $320 and then order a new bigger filter from summit racing for $70, making it close to $400, lol. But I get what your saying jpdc, lol

My 2Jr will cost me $162 shipped, lol.

i dont think you can factor in the 2j discount price seeing how we just happen to be here at the beginning so we can get it cheaper. its gonna be 230$ not including the extension which would bring it closer to 300 if you ordered that with it.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Lol. Ransonalize how ever you guys need to, lol.

I also think Joe is only going to build a limited number of these because I honestly don't think he's making much profit at all.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club

I also think Joe is only going to build a limited number of these because I honestly don't think he's making much profit at all.
Lol. I think a modded box/drop in with mountune silicone flex section will perform
Just as good as any other intake avail besides the 2j. I will probally by a 2j since I rarely drive my car in the rain.

JPGC

2000 Post Club

Rationalize? I'm way past that, lol. I spend money on my car cause I just want something to do to it, lol. I'll be the first to admit that I spend too much for stuff that really doesn't do a lot for performance...might as well started with a turbo swap first ;-). I make good money though so it is what it is.
You are looking at this stuff through your eyes as you have tools and equipment to save yourself money. You may only spend $150 on that intake (2JR) and so would I but someone with no tools or know-how would spend more. That's all I'm saying. At this time, no one, other than 2JR knows how the 2JR will perform as a daily driven intake. I'm sure it has the potential to be the best intake on the market for some who has the modifications to use it to its potential. I curious to see if there will be any I'll effects with rattles, etc...especially from installs that are improperly completed.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Lol. I think a modded box/drop in with mountune silicone flex section will perform
Just as good as any other intake avail besides the 2j. I will probally by a 2j since I rarely drive my car in the rain.
I can attest to this as I've had 3 different setups, lol. On a stock turbo bolt-on car, I can't feel the difference between them, lol.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Jpgc.
That's what I'm hear for, lol. I'll post anything about rattles or what ever.
Cyborg turbo cars, I think will see an enormous gain. Not just because the air flow, but the response. 1-2psi gain in the amount of boost it can make across the band could be 8-15-20whp depending on RPM and the boost level before the intake.

Stock turbo cars? Well.... I'll let everyone else fill in the blanks on that. I've already logged 354tq through V-dyno on a stock turbo unit ( with the big inlet and ported parts ), so I'm not sure what type of gain is to be had on the stock turbo in the bottom or mid-range, but maybe it will really help up top? I'm not one to be able to answer that. But rock solid inlet temps will be nice in the summer. It wasn't a big deal to me until a week or 2 ago when the heat came back, and I'm seeing 111degree charge temps just sitting in traffic.

HaveBlue83

image hosting over 10mb

Im in here doing my boomba shift kit and i had a question.....there is a vent hose down by the stock airbox that looks like a fuel vent line and it t's off and goes to the intake manifold and the stock intake......does this intake kit address the need to plug that?

Heres a pic:

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Jpgc.
That's what I'm hear for, lol. I'll post anything about rattles or what ever.
Cyborg turbo cars, I think will see an enormous gain. Not just because the air flow, but the response. 1-2psi gain in the amount of boost it can make across the band could be 8-15-20whp depending on RPM and the boost level before the intake.

Stock turbo cars? Well.... I'll let everyone else fill in the blanks on that. I've already logged 354tq through V-dyno on a stock turbo unit ( with the big inlet and ported parts ), so I'm not sure what type of gain is to be had on the stock turbo in the bottom or mid-range, but maybe it will really help up top? I'm not one to be able to answer that. But rock solid inlet temps will be nice in the summer. It wasn't a big deal to me until a week or 2 ago when the heat came back, and I'm seeing 111degree charge temps just sitting in traffic.
I'm definitely in on seeing your results! Especially since I am planning on a turbo upgrade in the future. Are you still on the stock intercooler? My charge temps usually stay within 8 degrees of ambient in normal driving and within 20 degrees on spirited driving. The most I've seen this year is 98 degrees for charge temps. You must be in it all the time, lol.