Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

6 point brace install trouble

Having trouble installing the 6 point brace from pierce- I can't get a single bolt off. I hit them with a few rounds of pb blaster and used my cheap torque wrench ~16" but couldn't get them to budge. Should I try a breaker bar next? Take to a pro? Other advice? 2014 with 75k so it's always a pain to take things apart.

Thanks

used my cheap torque wrench ~16" but couldn't get them to budge.
do you have a regular wrench? not sure why you're using your torque wrench to...un-torque. i would just use a regular big wrench and if that didn't work i would go breaker bar. but i have a 2019.

my subframe bolts had the entire length of the threading dipped in loctite. my dad and I were worried the entire time that we did something horribly wrong b/c the bolts never stopped resisting. after taking the first one out we figured the rest were the same way so weren't as worried. it was like whoever did the install just stored all the subframe bolts in a bucket of loctite.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
@esp_martin has it right - big breaker bar (don't use your torque wrench as a breaker bar!). I installed the 6-point 1 week after buying the car new and I had to use a 24" breaker bar to free the bolts and an impact to back them the rest of the way out; Ford wants those bolts to stay in place!

OP
GregF
Thread Starter #4
Ok Thanks. I tried my regular 1/2" drive wrench first of course, but obviously didn't have enough leverage. Will give a breaker bar a shot.

Did you loctite the bolts back in after? Also, it looked like other bolts would hold the subframe in place while these come out, there's no need for any additional support, correct?

Ok Thanks. I tried my regular 1/2" drive wrench first of course, but obviously didn't have enough leverage. Will give a breaker bar a shot.

Did you loctite the bolts back in after? Also, it looked like other bolts would hold the subframe in place while these come out, there's no need for any additional support, correct?
First, do you have replacment bolts? Cause you're supposed to throw out the old torque-to-yield bolts and install new ones.

Second, yeah the subframe is not going to drop on you but I installed a SWAVE 4 point. I think the back two on a Pierce connect subframe to chassis? I recommend not taking out all six bolts at the same time. Personally, i would R&R as you go. the subframe will shift on you and you'll need to use a ratchet strap or a lot of kicking and swearing to get the bolts to line back up if they become misaligned.

OP
GregF
Thread Starter #6
I don't, thanks for pointing that out. The brace came without any documentation and there's surprisingly little install info online (or my googling is trash)

I don't, thanks for pointing that out. The brace came without any documentation and there's surprisingly little install info online (or my googling is trash)
i would google something like "subframe fiestastforum.com" in google and see what you get back. the subframe brace *is not* as straightforward as you think. if you do it under load so you don't have to take it to a shop for realignment, you could run into serious issues. especially if you're installing by yourself.

i personally wouldn't recommend anyone install anything on this car without finding out exactly what to do and what to watch out for. there's just too many things that can go sideways.

you can reuse the bolts you have but that's not the best idea. and if you do decide to jack up your car for an easier install, prepare to pay for a shop for a wheel alignment when you're done.