Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

All seasons turned this car into a drifter

I replaced all four factory (Bridgestone portenza) with cheap all season performance tires from Walmart since I drive a lot for work. Now my car has turned into a drifter, I can 4 wheel drift the car every turn, even at low speeds. With the summer tires, it was harder to reach the limits of the car on public streets, but with all seasons it is easy to reach limits of adhesion at low speeds. Way more fun. Has affected the braking negatively though. Others have similar experience?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I replaced all four factory (Bridgestone portenza) with cheap all season performance tires from Walmart since I drive a lot for work. Now my car has turned into a drifter, I can 4 wheel drift the car every turn, even at low speeds. With the summer tires, it was harder to reach the limits of the car on public streets, but with all seasons it is easy to reach limits of adhesion at low speeds. Way more fun. Has affected the braking negatively though. Others have similar experience?
That's really interesting. I remember reading that Toyota had put low performance Prius tires on FRS/BRZs at some point for the same reason, so it was easy to break them loose.

you didn't buy "performance" tires in any way shape or form if that's the case. you're gonna be in for a surprise when you need to get on the brakes. you'll be "4 wheel drift"ing right into whatever you're trying to avoid.

edit: all that said it does sound like a lot of fun though. are you still within the first 500 miles of the tire break-in?

I'm experiencing a similar level of contrasting grip going from the R888R's to these Continental DWS 06+ all seasons. It's so much fun. Like you said, so easy to just poke the limits of grip in the same controlled way the ST likes to ride that line, just at a much lower speed. Every intersection is a blast if the timing lines up.

Regardless of the tires I'm always surprised how well the ST responds to hard flicks.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
When I first started HPDE with my Acura TSX, I went with my max performance all-seasons (I think they were Continentals), and, yes, it was drift city. Fun, but those tires were smoking after each session. Upgraded to 200tw after that and it was like night and day.

Now, I have a dedicated set of wheels for track season and another for winter.

When I first started HPDE with my Acura TSX, I went with my max performance all-seasons (I think they were Continentals), and, yes, it was drift city. Fun, but those tires were smoking after each session. Upgraded to 200tw after that and it was like night and day.

Now, I have a dedicated set of wheels for track season and another for winter.
there's a huge difference here comparing all seasons on track duty to what OP is saying about 4 wheel drifting on public roads "even at low speeds"

i can't be the only one thinking if you're losing grip in all 4 tires on a public road you're driving in a way you shouldn't or the tires are complete crap.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
there's a huge difference here comparing all seasons on track duty to what OP is saying about 4 wheel drifting on public roads "even at low speeds"

i can't be the only one thinking if you're losing grip in all 4 tires on a public road you're driving in a way you shouldn't or the tires are complete crap.
I’m assuming there’s some embellishment happening here