Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anybody running a GT2860RS (disco potato)

If so can you post a log or let me know what your spool looks like. I'm debating a 2860 or 2560 as a turbo upgrade. I have a GT2860RS but want to see if it's going to hurt low end too bad.

Thanks in advance.

What's the back story on the 'Disco Potato' name anyways?
The Garrett engineers who developed the turbo initially put it into a Nissan Sentra painted in psychedelic color-shifting brown paint. Given the shape of that generation Sentra, plus the interesting paint job, Sport Compact Car magazine dubbed it the "disco potato," and the name stuck. I still own that issue of SCC.

Here's an excerpt from SCC's Nissan Silvia build some time later, which best tells the story:

Sport Compact Car Magazine said:
A year and a half ago, we drove a very unlikely Sentra. Dubbed the Disco Potato for its unique combination of psychedelic color-shifting paint and unfortunate Jerry Hirshberg styling, the car was the culmination of the clandestine efforts of a few very driven engineers.

The story starts with Dan Passe who, at the time, was a Nissan PR genius with a penchant for bending rules. He conveniently "lost" the paperwork for a 1.8-liter Sentra which Nissan Design International had modified for the L.A. Auto Show. The car quietly landed in the hands of Nissan engineers Steve Mitchell and Mike Kojima.

Meanwhile, a few miles away at Garrett, turbo engineer Jay Kavanagh wanted to boost his Miata. Having full access to the newest Garrett technology, he concocted a physically small turbo with a ball-bearing center section and internal aerodynamics 20 years more modern than the T3/T4 standard the aftermarket is used to.

A few cubicles from Kavanagh, Rob Cadle, a good friend of Mitchell and Kojima, realized Kavanagh's Miata turbo would be perfect for the SR20DET the Nissan boys were planning for the Sentra. He brewed up a turbo, stuffed it under his shirt, and went out the back door.

[MENTION=3244]STeve[/MENTION] All indications are that the 2860rs is a bit oversized for our application, like pretty much all 28-series turbos. Sure, they'll spin and make good power, but the exhaust impulses from our little 1.6L just aren't good enough to spin it up quickly. I'm personally holding high hopes for the 2560, and keeping my expectations of power low(sub-300).

OP
S
Thread Starter #8
[MENTION=3244]STeve[/MENTION] All indications are that the 2860rs is a bit oversized for our application, like pretty much all 28-series turbos. Sure, they'll spin and make good power, but the exhaust impulses from our little 1.6L just aren't good enough to spin it up quickly. I'm personally holding high hopes for the 2560, and keeping my expectations of power low(sub-300).
I agree. We just installed a 2554 in a Fiesta recently and the car spools pretty good and makes damn good power. I was being cheap as I have a 2860 that's coming out of my Focus

What kind of numbers are you seeing with the 2554, [MENTION=3244]STeve[/MENTION] ? And when are you seeing spool happen?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
What indicators are these?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I am swapping from the smallest EFR which is a bit to big for my needs to a GTX2860 and 5th injector though for what I intend to use the car for the 2554 may be a bit better but once you hit 300+ WHP...hard to go lower and on 91 octane the expected power is more like 280 WHP, not bad but I want to pass all the Vettes and Porsches on track I can so willing to have a bit of lag and not autocross the car.

The 2554 might be the best all around turbo for the FiST, it the GTX is to big not a hard swap to the smaller turbo so going to give it a try.

I have a GT3076R as well but a wee bit way to f'ing big for the 1.6:)