Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone running 205/45/17 tires?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Just wondering, with 205/45/17...

Does it affect the Tire Pressure Monitoring system?

Does it change how much air you fill each tire?
TPMS for these vehicles directly monitors pressure using individual sensors at each valve stem. The signal is wireless and each sensor requires a battery.

The other TPMS system you're thinking about, relies only on the ABS wheel speed sensors; works by detecting rotational differences between each wheel. (The circumference of a deflated/low tire is less than inflated one - takes more rotations per given distance.) Could be wrong, but don't anticipate changing wheel/tire size would impact these either; provided that all are the same.

TPMS for these vehicles directly monitors pressure using individual sensors at each valve stem. The signal is wireless and each sensor requires a battery.

The other TPMS system you're thinking about, relies only on the ABS wheel speed sensors; works by detecting rotational differences between each wheel. (The circumference of a deflated/low tire is less than inflated one - takes more rotations per given distance.) Could be wrong, but don't anticipate changing wheel/tire size would impact these either; provided that all are the same.
Ok think it’d be awesome if our tpms would be individually displayed like it is in my c250

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It would be more awesome yet if the individual, actual pressure readouts of each tire were displayed like on even the older GM vehicle systems. ;)

Reviving this old thread to get some opinions...

I'm in search of the mythic stock steering feel, or something close to it.
On stock wheels (and stock suspension), would it make more sense to run a 205/45-17 or a 215/40-17 tire?
205/45 has a much better selection of tires, though the 215/40 still offers decently more tire-options than stock.

I feel like cramming a 215 tire on a 7" wheel is going to cause it to balloon, taking away some of that razor sharp feel. Whereas the 205/45 would just be slightly taller.

On stock wheels (and stock suspension), would it make more sense to run a 205/45-17 or a 215/40-17 tire?
205/45 has a much better selection of tires, though the 215/40 still offers decently more tire-options than stock.

I feel like cramming a 215 tire on a 7" wheel is going to cause it to balloon, taking away some of that razor sharp feel. Whereas the 205/45 would just be slightly taller.
i run 215/45-17 tires (i wanted to fill out the wheel well as much as i could) but i run lighter than OEM 17/7.5 rims. i did lose a little of that razor sharp feel but a lot of people here attribute that to the tire (Indy 500s). if I had gone Falken RT615s at 215/40-17 there's a good chance I wouldn't have lost that feeling. even more so if the RT660s had been available.

TL;DR everyone here says the rubber matters more than a tiny change in tire size

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Also, the sidewall of a 205/45-17 is still a bit taller than a 215/40-17, so everything else being equal (tire compounds, casing construction, sidewall plies, load rating, etc.) the 215/40 will still be more 'responsive', albeit also a bit less 'cushy'.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

GO with a the P215/40R17 the looks are more aggressive/ wider looking

Also, the sidewall of a 205/45-17 is still a bit taller than a 215/40-17, so everything else being equal (tire compounds, casing construction, sidewall plies, load rating, etc.) the 215/40 will still be more 'responsive', albeit also a bit less 'cushy'.
Good to know. That said, I was really hoping to get Bridgestone Potenza Sports (super stiff sidewall, and generally reviewed very positively in the UUHP tire class), which are available in 205/45, but not 215/40.
In 215/40, im pretty much limited to 200tw tires or... Yokohama Fleva's.
Tho maybe I should try other vendors...

I will be using these tires all months of the year (northern CA), which includes rain and temps as low as high 30's. Certainly never snow.