Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone running Motul 5w-40?

Was directed to run this in my hybrid. Curious to discuss with anyone running the same or similar brand/weight.

Was directed to run this in my hybrid. Curious to discuss with anyone running the same or similar brand/weight.
I'm pretty sure any brand full synth 5w-40 would satisfy Whoosh's new requirements. Although, I'm curious why they would specify a weight of oil that falls outside the engine's requirements. Maybe there have been some premature turbo wear when people were using the previously specified 5w-30. Although, I'd be worried about risking the engine to protect the turbo though.

DEss

OP
OneFord
Thread Starter #3
I'm pretty sure any brand full synth 5w-40 would satisfy Whoosh's new requirements. Although, I'm curious why they would specify a weight of oil that falls outside the engine's requirements. Maybe there have been some premature turbo wear when people were using the previously specified 5w-30. Although, I'd be worried about risking the engine to protect the turbo though.
DEss
Based on my understanding, the heavier weight oil was directed because the 30 weight with the added heat from the hybrid was not thick enough to protect the bearings.

You mention risking damaging the engine running 40 weight. What risk is there to the engine running a 40 weight oil in your opinion?