Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Battery Replacement-How often & which one?

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #102

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
When I bought my Odyssey 96R-600 about 3 years ago, it was ~ $170.00 shipped and taxed from Summit Racing. [wink]

Last edited:
OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #104
I saw recently that Motocraft appears to be making an AGM battery in our group 96R size. Does anyone have any experience with this battery?
I don't see a lot of places online that have it, Walmart shows it here although it's out of stock-
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Motorcraft-BAGM-96R-Automotive-AGM-Battery/1846464898

Motorcraft also put out a video touting the batteries-
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEJ3aTlo53w
I posted this recently, that Motorcraft seemed to be making an AGM battery in our group 96R size. However, it is not readily available. As I mentioned earlier, a couple websites show it, but then it's out of stock. Tasca Parts has it, but @dhminer tried to order it and it was something like $140 to ship it. I called the local Ford dealer where I bought the car to see if they could get it, and they can't get it either.
It looks like for now if you want an AGM battery that the only options are still the Advance Auto one and the Odyssey one.

Last edited:

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I get any battery that fits in the space allocated. I'm only on my 2nd going into my 9th year of ownership, so cost doesn't come into it. I paid $138 installed for my wife's Fiesta SE at AutoZone.

irontmp

U.S. Army Veteran
I had an Odyssey (it was a Sears Platinum actually, which is made by Odyssey under contract, as an exactly the same battery, with just a different color case and stickers) in my '00 Z28, and it was perfect, still cranking away, after being in the car for 7 years, when I sold it 4 months before taking delivery of this car.
It is probably still going strong for that owner now.

WHY I want one for this car so much, plus I already have the specific Odyssey labelled, Schumacher built charger for it. [:)]

I DO have my doubts as to the comparative quality of the Autocraft, given that weight difference, for a street (vs. 'race') battery.[wink]

For those who want the 96R-600 Odyssey, Summit Racing is selling it for $158.99 with free shipping, obviously NO core charge, plus whatever (if any) sales tax your home state requires.
I was the one who had the rep put in a part request to offer this battery for sale by Summit

They told me mine would ship by ~3/30/20.

This is LESS THAN what Advance gets for their AGM car battery replacement dubai, before any core charges! [:)]

I am STILL curious as to WHO is actually building this battery for Autocraft/Advance though. [dunno]
Has anyone replaced their battery as of yet? Infiniti Part sites are all saying discontinued and optima batteries does not have one listed.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #110
Here's a new group 96R AGM battery by Champion-
https://www.pepboys.com/champion-agm-battery/product/2359395

Has anybody tried that one? It looks like that's the cheapest AGM battery in our size out there at $204. The Advance Auto one is up to $250, and I believe the Odyssey group 96R battery is quite a bit more than that.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I ve been Rolling a Group 48 agm for about 4 years now. I Killed it finally. Sometimes my AP3 will stay on and not auto shutdown and it was cold here. I got it for $25 after taxes when i worked at Autozone. Now i got another group 48 agm...$250 out the door w/ 4 year free replacement. Also did the battery reset procedure Spinklestar posted a while ago. Easy as pie! A 48 series can be done with slight battery tray modification FYI.

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/a-group-48-battery-oh-yes-it-can-be-done.20186/

I'm thinking about switching to a group 48 battery as my roommate has her old but still good OEM AGM battery for her Veloster N (She switched to Antigravity Lithium a while ago) and my original Motorcraft battery is calling it quits. It's got barely enough juice to crank the car, but it hesitates real bad doing so when it's cold. And it's cold all the time now. It's sitting in the 11.4v range so it's definitely time. All it is for a group 48 battery is tray trimming, right? I know one size (Group 47?) requires the little bike brake threaded bits to stay strapped down.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm thinking about switching to a group 48 battery as my roommate has her old but still good OEM AGM battery for her Veloster N (She switched to Antigravity Lithium a while ago) and my original Motorcraft battery is calling it quits. It's got barely enough juice to crank the car, but it hesitates real bad doing so when it's cold. And it's cold all the time now. It's sitting in the 11.4v range so it's definitely time. All it is for a group 48 battery is tray trimming, right? I know one size (Group 47?) requires the little bike brake threaded bits to stay strapped down.
Correct*The lip needs to be Dremeled down and Bolt extenders that you can get at the local hardware store for the Battery hold down.

Bring the Hold down Nut with you....Tell them you want a bolt extender in the this size* [driving] Make them do their job!
Something something 2023 no one wants to work anymore lol. More like I don't have time to sit and wait at Home Depot trying to get someone to help. I'll see about getting it done tomorrow I suppose

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Something something 2023 no one wants to work anymore lol. More like I don't have time to sit and wait at Home Depot trying to get someone to help. I'll see about getting it done tomorrow I suppose
Little family owned hardware stores are 10x the Box stores will ever be* [cheers]

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
My local ACE Hardware has very helpful staff as well as a huge nut/bolt collection. There are also fixed 'template' or sizer sheets that you can thread your fastener onto to see what size and thread-pitch you have. Makes finding out what it is quick and painless.

XanRules

When I bought my Odyssey 96R-600 about 3 years ago, it was ~ $170.00 shipped and taxed from Summit Racing. [wink]
and now it's $326. Yuck.

I've made it 6+ years on the stock battery but it's finally starting to make me nervous at startup. I'm having a hard time justifying the extra $150+ for an AGM over the $110 Interstate 96R from Costco.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
and now it's $326. Yuck.

I've made it 6+ years on the stock battery but it's finally starting to make me nervous at startup. I'm having a hard time justifying the extra $150+ for an AGM over the $110 Interstate 96R from Costco.
Yes, but that is less than the up to/over $400 some were saying it is now.

The Interstate is fine (probably one of the best) for a flooded lead acid battery, but I personally will never put that type of power source in my car ever again, save for a life and death emergency.

At this point, if my Odyssey dies, I would most likely go with the Advance Diehard AGM/whatever they are calling it nowadays, since they are the closest parts store to me currently.