Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Big Turbo Tune

Hey There,

I am fairly new to self-tuning, and I have a X47 turbo, when using OTS map, which is what im starting as a base tune to work off, my boost fluctuates violently from 23-28psi when under WOT. Any ideas on what tables I need to adjust?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
A lot of those who tune take classes or seminars and have educations in the Automotive area. There might be Tuning how to's on YouTube......If it was me Id pay a Tuner that specializes in our Platform as it could turn into a costly mistake if there are any missteps along the way.

OP
Tetra
Thread Starter #5
A lot of those who tune take classes or seminars and have educations in the Automotive area. There might be Tuning how to's on YouTube......If it was me Id pay a Tuner that specializes in our Platform as it could turn into a costly mistake if there are any missteps along the way.
I'm aware of the risk, I'm learning to tune myself and thats why im asking on here lmao.
I'm just not familiar with ford's tables, I'm familiar with subaru more

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Contact Jason@dizzytuning......Contact Mitch@ Cp-e....Contact Adam@ Tune plus....Contact Stratified. Speak with a Tuner.....That's the advice I give you as most of us Pay for Tuning

Erick_V

I'm not aware of any self tuners here on the forum otherwise I'd point you towards them. I use to self tune in my Mazdaspeed3/6 days but I now leave it up to a professional (Stratified in my case) tuner to tweak and optimize my maps. Also, I'm not aware of any OTS maps that would work at all with an upgraded turbo, too many variables. I would zero out the WGDC maps and target a slightly richer AFR till you consult a tuner about any further changes. The boost spikes (torque spikes) is what's going to kill your motor faster than anything else

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
^ seconded

Running an OTS tune as a basemap with a big turbo is asking for trouble. 28psi out of an x47 is entirely different than the 28psi out of a stock turbo. The fluctuation is the car making way more boost than it expects and it closes / opens the throttle and wastegate actuator. These aren't boost targeted like Subarus are.

wetwea33

^ seconded

Running an OTS tune as a basemap with a big turbo is asking for trouble. 28psi out of an x47 is entirely different than the 28psi out of a stock turbo. The fluctuation is the car making way more boost than it expects and it closes / opens the throttle and wastegate actuator. These aren't boost targeted like Subarus are.
Correct this car is load and torque targeted. A log would be needed to see what ur talking about but it's most likely rapid throttle closures and ur wgdc going crazy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Correct this car is load and torque targeted. A log would be needed to see what ur talking about but it's most likely rapid throttle closures and ur wgdc going crazy.

Also itā€™s probably trying to save the engine from exploding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tetra
Thread Starter #13

This exactly. ETC Actual and WGDC Actual are both going up and down with boost.

Heres a log that shows what i mean:
https://datazap.me/u/tetra/boost-fluctuation?log=0&data=4-6-7-25

EDIT: I made some adjustments to TIP Desired Max target for boost, it was at what converted to around 21psi, so I bumped it up a little bit and see where that gets me.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You need to tune the car with a torque target. Messing with TIP and WGDC will help but the car is looking for a torque value, not a boost value. If you try to tune this like a Subaru, its not going to go well. If the stock turbo can blow an engine with a poor tune, I can only imagine the catastrophe that is a big turbo with a bad tune (not calling you bad, just saying)

This is from Cobb:

Boost Control ā€“ These vehicles do not directly target boost in stock form but rather engine torque. Engine torque is calculated based on numerous variables such as: pedal position, air flow, boost and RPM.
Ignition Control ā€“ The Ford ECU has an incredibly complex timing strategy. It consists of four primary methods to control spark: MBT, Borderline, Cylinder Pressure, and Pre-Ignition. The ECU also allows full dynamic advance and retard based on octane learning and knock sensor feedback. There are up to 16 primary tables for each method, along with accompanying compensations. All of these must be touched to produce desired results. To see a good example of an effective timing strategy, compare and contrast a few of our various OTS maps.
https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PRS/pages/30900388/Ford+Tuning+Guide

I think Jason posted this link earlier, but leaf through it. Its got the basics, but it does not really go into boost management for aftermarket turbos.

wetwea33

This exactly. ETC Actual and WGDC Actual are both going up and down with boost.

Heres a log that shows what i mean:
https://datazap.me/u/tetra/boost-fluctuation?log=0&data=4-6-7-25

EDIT: I made some adjustments to TIP Desired Max target for boost, it was at what converted to around 21psi, so I bumped it up a little bit and see where that gets me.
I wouldint push more than 25 psi with an x47 on 93 octane. The ecoboost ecus are dumb complex compared to most other platforms.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
OP
Tetra
Thread Starter #18
I wouldint push more than 25 psi with an x47 on 93 octane. The ecoboost ecus are dumb complex compared to most other platforms.
I have a Tune+ Custom tune and im pushing a steady 25 but I peak at 28.5

slopoke

Do a wide open throttle pull and then post the results. I don't see anything over 82%. But I wouldn't recommend it with a NON custom tune.

If you have to ask tuning advice and ask what tables to adjust, you are going to learn a very expensive lesson.

wetwea33

I have a Tune+ Custom tune and im pushing a steady 25 but I peak at 28.5
Is that in the hybrid or the stock turbo. If your just looking at ur accessport max and mins that won't tell you much. I hit 27-28 with my s280 in the mode range and taper to 24 up top. Anything over 25 up top (5800rpm and up) on 93 will most likely lead to some knock. Throw skme ethanol in and that's a different story.