Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

BigBoost Stage 3 Turbo Kit Issues

Hello Everyone!
Recently obtained a Big Boost Stage 3 turbo kit from a friend after he transferred to an S280. He made the transfer because the manifold kept separating from the turbo causing a massive leak. I’ve reached out to Big Boost 3 times with no answer back. I’ve since replaced the hardware, along with lock washers and a new gasket I made out of bulk material I found. Has anyone had this similar issue? If so, what was your “fix.” I liked this turbo a lot and would like to run it without the possibility of a leak. Thanks!

slopoke

Are you talking about the gasket from the discharge side of the exhaust manifold to turbo inlet? I went to the website and saw a pic. It shows the turbo and manifold together. Is that the way it comes and if so, is it a stock Ford manifold? If it is a stock manifold, there is a "fire ring" that fits into a circular recess and it's a high temp ring gasket. The pic below is the fire ring and the link is to a parts diagram. The part is number 2. Also, if it is a stock manifold, I'd use the OEM nuts. I've not heard of people complaining about those nuts loosening. The only nuts that I know are a problem and the turbine side case nuts loosening and that is not your issue.

https://www.varsityfordparts.com/v-2017-ford-fiesta--st--1-6l-l4-gas/engine--turbocharger

s-l960.jpg

Last edited:
OP
boostedchriss
Thread Starter #3
Are you talking about the gasket from the discharge side of the exhaust manifold to turbo inlet? I went to the website and saw a pic. It shows the turbo and manifold together. Is that the way it comes and if so, is it a stock Ford manifold? If it is a stock manifold, there is a "fire ring" that fits into a circular recess and it's a high temp ring gasket. The pic below is the fire ring and the link is to a parts diagram. The part is number 2. Also, if it is a stock manifold, I'd use the OEM nuts. I've not heard of people complaining about those nuts loosening. The only nuts that I know are a problem and the turbine side case nuts loosening and that is not your issue.

https://www.varsityfordparts.com/v-2017-ford-fiesta--st--1-6l-l4-gas/engine--turbocharger

View attachment 59653
ya it’s the stock ford manifold, issue i have with the fire ring is that it doesn’t have the actual insert it’s supposed to sit in on this turbo since it’s a modified 4 bolt Garrett flange from big boost.

OP
boostedchriss
Thread Starter #4
ya it’s the stock ford manifold, issue i have with the fire ring is that it doesn’t have the actual insert it’s supposed to sit in on this turbo since it’s a modified 4 bolt Garrett flange from big boost.
ALSO thought I should ask, which would be the best gasket material for this project? Unsure of what could withstand that much heat other than the OEM fire ring.

slopoke

If it were me, I'd reach out to the manufacturer of the turbo and see what they say.

OP
boostedchriss
Thread Starter #6
If it were me, I'd reach out to the manufacturer of the turbo and see what they say.
Yeah I tried 3 times now and no response. I might try a different manifold and shave down the studs instead of inserting smaller ones. Main issue we had was the manifold studs were too long and did not allow us to connect the turbo. Thanks for the response.

This is pretty par for the course. The handful of people I've seen who have taken the risk on their stuff reports poor quality parts coupled with even poorer customer service (Read: Non-existent). Can't imagine they're gonna change that any time soon lol