Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blend Door Actuator Issue Thread

Who has had blend door actuator problems?

• '14 Fiesta ST

Votes: 143 28.9%
  • '15 Fiesta ST

Votes: 144 29.1%
  • '16 Fiesta ST

Votes: 143 28.9%
  • '17 Fiesta ST

Votes: 65 13.1%

• Total voters

ROCKYFiestta

lol I probably have a few snow seasons left in me but I definitely am considering going down there its so big I just have no idea which part. all I know is I want to be away from the big cities where there is room.

Why does every youtube video call the mode door actuator the "blend door". There is one blend door actuator not 3. 1 blend door, 1 mode door, and 1 inlet actuator.

ROCKYFiestta

Solomon from Advance Auto Parts said:
This Dorman Air Door Actuator - Part # 604-400 is behind the driver knee air bag. The air inlet actuator - part # 604-251 would be located behind the glove box."

Solomon from Advance Auto Parts said:
This Dorman Air Door Actuator - Part # 604-400 is behind the driver knee air bag. The air inlet actuator - part # 604-251 would be located behind the glove box."
Rocky, I don't know if the passenger side actuator is much different from the 2011 Fiestas, but if it is, it's a lot easier than the one below the steering column. The part looks the same, but the passenger side only has 2 prongs in the connector instead of 5 (I think).

You first remove the glove box by opening it and pressing both sides in, letting it drop down (remove everything first). You'll then see the actuator on the left side, and it has the same 3 Torx screws. Attached is a picture of the ST after getting the glove box, the actuator is the is next to the fuses.

As an added note (don't know if it has been mentioned before): The steering column actuator (5 connectors) will work on the passenger side if you open it and rotate the gear so that the notch aligns and fits correctly. The passenger side will NOT fit the driver's side actuator (learned this the hard way at the same time that I learned that there are 2 actuators, after 4 times of replacing the same one, it gets easier ha!).

Attachments

Last edited:
Finally happened to me :/

Got a bit chilly here one day and put the defroster on. Next day when I switched back to panel...*clicky click*. Little over 8k miles and an '18 to boot. Luckily we had one in stock and pretty much got paid to work on my own car lol.

Any chance you can cut that thing apart and take pics of what breaks within? I'm curious if what Ford is shipping now is identical to what went bad in our cars. Also, if a Dorman brand item is any different, better or worse...

Any chance you can cut that thing apart and take pics of what breaks within? I'm curious if what Ford is shipping now is identical to what went bad in our cars. Also, if a Dorman brand item is any different, better or worse...
Just about all the actuators I've seen across brands are snapped together with 5-6 clips. Use a little screwdriver to pop them off and peak inside. Usually one or more gears end up losing a tooth. Not much can be done unfortunately. They're usually white too, which gets more brittle with age.

A bit off-topic, but the "chrome" trim around the cup holder is about $40. New cup holders not included.

Hey guys, my blend door actuator is starting to act up and make that annoying clicking noise near the passenger side of the dash, right above the glove box. Does anybody know what part number I would need to buy in order to replace it? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KTB

Hey guys, my blend door actuator is starting to act up and make that annoying clicking noise near the passenger side of the dash, right above the glove box. Does anybody know what part number I would need to buy in order to replace it? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like OEM BE8Z19E616A or Dorman 604-251.

Just set up a warranty appointment next Tuesday at 8:30am for my 2018 with 20k miles, service advisor said he has to diagnose and estimates a day depending on part availability. And no loaner program at that dealer, so fingers crossed they've got it in stock. Part is definitely driver's side mode door actuator, based on what I've read in all 27 (😭) pages of this thread but obviously dealer can't just take my word for it which I understand

Mine just went out at 54k miles(2014). I got the Doorman one I'll let everyone know if this happens to fail again. Replaced it myself within an hour without taking the whole dash apart(just plastics around steering wheel).

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Did my driver side one a couple months back and when I switch the air on or off the passenger side above my glove box gives a click. I give it a couple weeks before the loud click click click

28k miles on my 2017 and one of mine just started clicking lol
Not sure if your car is still under warranty but if it is id take to the dealer. I recently fixed the issue myself (I had it on both the Driver and Passenger side) I bought the actuator for like $30 USD.

Im sure someone has posted these, but just in case...

I used this Vid as a guide:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuENktnNelc&t=372s

Here is the part i got off amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009B5S5E8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

UPDATE from my post last Friday: Dropped car off at the dealer at 8:30 this morning. Car was done almost exactly 8 hours later at 4:30. Other than a trim piece under the steering wheel needing to be clipped back in place, everything was done fine. And interestingly, the part number they replaced it with is BE8Z19E616B, not 616A as mentioned above. I'm hoping it's an upgraded piece compared to the old OEM part, so I'll be watching it with interest over the life of the car and see if its an issue again. I am planning on following some of the tips here, specifically using Lo or Hi and keeping air going out from dash and feet. Hopefully those changes plus the new part=not having to deal with this again. Time will tell

Mikey456

28k miles on my 2017 and one of mine just started clicking lol
18k miles on my 2017 and started clicking on start up with no a/c or anything else turned on. Approximately 10 seconds and then goes away. Does not click on every start up though.?

TDavis

1000 Post Club
18k miles on my 2017 and started clicking on start up with no a/c or anything else turned on. Approximately 10 seconds and then goes away. Does not click on every start up though.?
Yeah, mines the same way. Clicks on startup when the air isn't even on. I think the HVAC system has a cycle mode when you first turn the car on. My friends says his does it every other startup

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Not sure if your car is still under warranty but if it is id take to the dealer. I recently fixed the issue myself (I had it on both the Driver and Passenger side) I bought the actuator for like $30 USD.

Im sure someone has posted these, but just in case...

I used this Vid as a guide:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuENktnNelc&t=372s

Here is the part i got off amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009B5S5E8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yeah its still under warranty, thats why I'm not too worried. Even so its a cheap part.