Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Car starting without key in car ..anyone relate?

Hi,

I’ve got a 2013 fiesta st2 and I had it in today for it’s mot everything was all good however the mechanic came across a strange issue that he’s not came across before. Basically he drove the car outside and parked it. He then looked for the key and realised he had left it in the workshop. Curious he pressed the push start button and the car turned on without the keys being in or close by to the car.

me and my other half have just tested this for ourselves. I left the car unlocked and left my keys in the house then went and jumped in car and it switched on. I thought I was still to close to the house so I drove it down the street switched off sat for a bit then pushed the button and car came back on.

Has anyone came across this? If I ever forget to lock my car some chancer could give the button a bash and they would be off …

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Did you buy this car new or used? Could be there is a FOB somewhere in the car. If it is a previously owned car, the former owner may have lost a key and did not think that it was dropped in the car. Good luck.
That's a creative suggestion, I wouldn't have thought of that. It does seem like it would be impossible for the car to start without the fob being in it.

Although I don't think that you would be able to lock the car with a fob inside, right? I know that it has happened, but not easy.

slopoke

I tried a little experiment, using my Mustang, since I no longer have a Fiesta. I took my spare FOB and placed it in the car. I was able to lock the car using the other FOB. So my Ford product will allow the doors to be locked, even though a FOB is still in the car.

To the OP, did you get two remote FOBs or one when you received the car? Did you misplace one and never found it?

Dialcaliper

Although I don't think that you would be able to lock the car with a fob inside, right? I know that it has happened, but not easy.
The car is not quite that smart. If fob is in range, you can lock the doors with the door button (the car sends out a signal to the fob whenever this happens), but usually also unlock them as the fob is still in range. Haven’t experimented with other things like whether the seat or seatbelt sensors affect that behavior, but it’s not a complicated remote system.