Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cerakote/extreme heat proofing mods

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
What he didn’t tell you is that his turbo kit was ~$5k so saving $650 isn’t a huge savings off the total price lol.

PM me some of the stuff you’re looking for. I have a ton of extra shit that I’m getting rid of. I’ve just not had the motivation to clean out my parts boxes after moving and make a FS post. I definitely don’t need all 4 of the downpipes I’ve got though lol.
Dusty that $650 was off my ATP kit i bought BNB...My DHM360r kit is another matter. That was Also BNB and i got for $3k...brand new they were $4750-5k ish* Thats some good savings right there also almost 2k off retail*

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Dusty that $650 was off my ATP kit i bought BNB...My DHM360r kit is another matter. That was Also BNB and i got for $3k...brand new they were $4750-5k ish* Thats some good savings right there also almost 2k off retail*
Fair enough, sir! That was steal on the ATP kit. I'll be selling mine for more than $650 off new price but it's got 10k miles on it.

It's not coated. I'm running a 2560r and all supporting mods possible basically. I suspect we can figure out when ambient temps are similar in our areas and do relatively similar tests. It's better than nothing.
We'll make it happen. My IR thermometer is broken - what brand do you have? I need a replacement, so there's a variable that can be controlled if I get the same one.

Is there any testing that proves Cerakote actually helps with heat?
cerakote 100% helps with heat...on hunting rifle barrels. which don't come anywhere near the same ballpark/league as engine heat.

i don't know how much that translates to auto exhaust systems but looking forward to seeing any results you guys find.

edit: for our hunters out there, i understand cerakote on rifle barrels is for protection against the elements and not for heat management. i'm just stating that i *know* it helps with heat. i've never accidentally touched a hot exhaust manifold that was luckily coated in cerakote...

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
cerakote 100% helps with heat...on hunting rifle barrels. which don't come anywhere near the same ballpark/league as engine heat.

i don't know how much that translates to auto exhaust systems but looking forward to seeing any results you guys find.

edit: for our hunters out there, I understand cerakote on rifle barrels is for protection against the elements and not for heat management. I'm just stating that I *know* it helps with heat. I've never accidentally touched a hot exhaust manifold that was luckily coated in cerakote...
The Cerakote most definitely does protect whatever it is put on since my exhaust tips are still perfect after 4 of our salt soup mid-Atlantic region winters, as well as being peppered/sprayed with gravel while working on 5 ARA rally events. [wink] [thumb]

OP
M
Thread Starter #46

edit: for our hunters out there, i understand cerakote on rifle barrels is for protection against the elements and not for heat management. i'm just stating that i *know* it helps with heat. i've never accidentally touched a hot exhaust manifold that was luckily coated in cerakote...
I think most people (well car people) cerakote more for protection from the elements/corrosion and for asthetic purposes more than heat. Look at an uncoated exhaust manifold after its been on a car for a year and tell me it looks good. I dont thing we expect huge deltas in under hold Temps with ceraote exhaust but thata kinda what I hope to find out

Bull Run

U.S. Army Veteran
One word PayPal credit* If goods/services aren't what were advertised or in working order without notifying me before hand. i get my money back. Almost everyone who does sell something aren't Shysty and are selling known working goods.
I second and third that. Bought a turbo off of a guy on the Facebook group and he blocked me. I would've been out about $1K if I didn't pay via PayPal goods & services. Others in the group wasn't as lucky.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
lol I don't have one anymore, find one and I'll buy it.
BTMETER BT-985B Laser Temp Gun Pyrometer, -58~2480℉(-50~1360℃) High Temperature Meter, 16:1 Distance Spot Ratio Industrial Infrared Thermometer Tester for Furnace, Smelting (NOT for Human Temp) https://a.co/d/dQ6g7xy

Arriving Monday

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
BTMETER BT-985B Laser Temp Gun Pyrometer, -58~2480℉(-50~1360℃) High Temperature Meter, 16:1 Distance Spot Ratio Industrial Infrared Thermometer Tester for Furnace, Smelting (NOT for Human Temp) https://a.co/d/dQ6g7xy

Arriving Monday
Mine gets here Tuesday. I'm retuning my car and weather here is trash, might have to wait until spring but we'll see.

Dialcaliper

Just thought I’d share this - got a ramair crossover to install and decided to try an experiment:

Wrapped with corrugated aluminum heat shielding and metal zip ties. Inside the bottom half I tucked in a layer of Pyrogel XTE high temp insulation to provide extra shielding from the exhaust manifold.

The Pyrogel is basically mineral wool with embedded silica aerogel microbeads (yes, the NASA developed stuff) good to 1200F, which should handle anything under the engine bay including the catalyst. 5mm is roughly the equivalent of the 3/8” (9mm) black foam pipe insulation in effectiveness (about R1.2). Found someone selling cuts of it on ebay. Seems to be the real stuff. Reasonably affordable at least in smaller pieces.

Unfortunately I don’t have any temperature data for comparison, but if this works I’m considering making an add-on shield to stack on the exhaust manifold and/or cat. (Probably with stainless shielding riveted together which will handle higher heat instead than aluminum at the expense of being a slightly less effective reflective surface)

Caveats working with this stuff - it is extremely dusty when cutting, so wear at least an N95 and use gloves because it will dessicate your skin if you get it on you and unspeakable things to your lungs if you breathe the dust. I tried to make sure it is completely contained inside the aluminum shield. Hopefully it doesn’t dust all over my engine bay or into my cabin air vents…

Attachments

Last edited: