Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clunk/Crunch to my 2-3 gear shifts

Hi guys, occasionally I get a clunky crunchiness in my 2-3 gear shifts. Normal revs, even when shifting around 3k. I am still under my 36k warranty, do you guys think I should take it to the dealer to have them check it out?

Mine does this and my dealer has 6 employees with the same car, and one rode in my car and the clunk is apparently common.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Checking in with the 1-2 clunk. Also happens on 2-3 shift sometimes too. ~2100 miles.

I have it as well, '15 with 2300 miles. I believe it's fairly common and normal. Seems this transmission is a tad noisy. My Genesis Coupe was the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not like the clunk happens while I'm shifting, it happens in the split second after the shifter is firmly in gear, but just before I start releasing the clutch. That is the only reason it caught me off guard, because it doesn't coincide with me moving the shifter or clutch.
Additionally, it seems to have gone away today. [scratch]

It's not like the clunk happens while I'm shifting, it happens in the split second after the shifter is firmly in gear, but just before I start releasing the clutch. That is the only reason it caught me off guard, because it doesn't coincide with me moving the shifter or clutch.
Additionally, it seems to have gone away today. [scratch]
I just went for a ride with the Ford service tech and he said the following:

1. Whoosh air sound when accelerating and deacceleratimg. "Normal blow off noise. Some turbos are louder than others, nothing to worry about!?!"

2. Clunk when shifting. "Will look into. Not totally sure what it is. He said Ford has told them to replace transmissions rather than fix them when they can't diagnose?!? This is worrisome."

3. Very loud radiator fan. "Normal, F150's are louder. Lots of complaints."

4. Overheating to highest levels of normal range in traffic and extreme heat. "Stumped. He said It had thrown an overheated code but we could not replicate." It's done this twice over the last week in above 100 degree temps.

I'm just going to live with the trnsmission clunk until it perhaps fails and possibly buy a Mishimoto radiator to see if it helps with cooling. I'm also going to take it to Cobb Plano and see if they can diagnose and fix the odd turbo blow off sound as it wasn't doing it before last week and it's kind of annoying.

We shall see...

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I just went for a ride with the Ford service tech and he said the following:

1. Whoosh air sound when accelerating and deacceleratimg. "Normal blow off noise. Some turbos are louder than others, nothing to worry about!?!"

2. Clunk when shifting. "Will look into. Not totally sure what it is. He said Ford has told them to replace transmissions rather than fix them when they can't diagnose?!? This is worrisome."

3. Very loud radiator fan. "Normal, F150's are louder. Lots of complaints."

4. Overheating to highest levels of normal range in traffic and extreme heat. "Stumped. He said It had thrown an overheated code but we could not replicate." It's done this twice over the last week in above 100 degree temps.

I'm just going to live with the trnsmission clunk until it perhaps fails and possibly buy a Mishimoto radiator to see if it helps with cooling. I'm also going to take it to Cobb Plano and see if they can diagnose and fix the odd turbo blow off sound as it wasn't doing it before last week and it's kind of annoying.

We shall see...
The whoosh is the blow off valve for the turbo, this is normal with all turbo cars and many people prefer to make it louder.

I have the same clunk after letting off the clutch so I may go back in sometime to see about getting the halfshafts replaced.

My radiator fan is loud as well. Never really bothered me though, I can tell it's working at least.

Do you have a 2016 built before December or so? There's a problem with the cooling fan relays in the early 2016s that will make the cooling fan not run and burn up the relay and wiring harness. But if your cooling fan is still running then that's not the issue. Had it happen to mine when I was sitting in traffic and I had to pull over a couple times to let it cool off to get it home.

The whoosh is the blow off valve for the turbo, this is normal with all turbo cars and many people prefer to make it louder.

I have the same clunk after letting off the clutch so I may go back in sometime to see about getting the halfshafts replaced.

My radiator fan is loud as well. Never really bothered me though, I can tell it's working at least.

Do you have a 2016 built before December or so? There's a problem with the cooling fan relays in the early 2016s that will make the cooling fan not run and burn up the relay and wiring harness. But if your cooling fan is still running then that's not the issue. Had it happen to mine when I was sitting in traffic and I had to pull over a couple times to let it cool off to get it home.

Mine is a 2015. I found a post that confirms that the axle shafts fixed the issue on another members car. I am dropping off at dealer on Monday for the transmission tech to look at.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/9908-Clunky-noisy-transmission?p=173846#post173846

This forum is AWESOME!

me32

1000 Post Club