Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cold air intake vs. Air box

Sure, it retains the same front air feed as well as adding the 2nd inlet from the bottom hose... it would be curious to see, if it could even be tested, from which inlet has the lowest resistance and sucks the most air in from.
I would assume the larger opening of the two at any given speed would, as well as the big mouth inlet being closer to the induction hose I would think it would draw more air from that location. Just assuming though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
That's also a bit why I'm on the fence too. All my mods so far have been reversible given enough time, but you can't uncut the shroud.
But the shroud cut can't even be seen at all, not even from the front... only *possible* downside is that it MAYBE not direct enough cool air over the radiator... Honestly, I've been having some close calls with overheating but due to the strange whirring sounds from my AC when it's on, I'm leaning towards that as the issue. I bring the car in tonight to have the cooling issue checked out and on top of the shroud cut I did drill 1/2" holes in the lower grille sections as well, even if most of it is blocked by the crash bar, I wanted to enhance flow every bit I could still being stuck with the stock IC for now... would be crazy to find out that anything I did actually hurt, like debris stuck in the AC condenser or something. I'll give the honest report here after I find out!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Anything's better than an Open CAI under the hood Xan....other than sound. Both the mountune and ST200 boxes are great choices.....either way it's better than the stock box with no velossatech or ST200 bottom hose to suck "redundant" air.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Mikey456

Anyone with the mountune or ST200 kit running a big mouth by chance?

I'm on the fence about them since I'm not sure if it'll negate the advantage the cold air hose has.

That was why I ultimately chose mine as well, I'll try and sneak the ST200 box past the smog techs here in CA in a few years.
I would go one way or the other with my car. I would also check out a YouTube video by Mighty Car Mods “Cold air intakes Mythbusted” that I found interesting . They dyno tested a turbo car with various intake mods. I will probably be looking for a extra stock lower box too.

Ok, I know little about all the mods, but what would be the effect of just cutting off the bottom of the stock airbox? Wouldn't it just pull cool air from beneath the car without having to perform an upper endoscopy to get a hose behind a headlight?

Spork1569

Ok, I know little about all the mods, but what would be the effect of just cutting off the bottom of the stock airbox? Wouldn't it just pull cool air from beneath the car without having to perform an upper endoscopy to get a hose behind a headlight?
Some people do just that, drill holes in their airbox. It should add the same effect of increasing airflow. I recall someone also doing a diy ST200 airbox a week or so back.

The nice thing about the other kits is its a nice, official part from Ford/mountune and pulls from one of the colder parts possible. Plus to put the hose in place all you need to do is remove the right headlight, nothing too extreme.

XanRules

Anything's better than an Open CAI under the hood Xan....other than sound. Both the mountune and ST200 boxes are great choices.....either way it's better than the stock box with no velossatech or ST200 bottom hose to suck "redundant" air.

No question!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Get used to taking your front end off the car....I can do mine in about 10 mins now after having it off about 10+ times for multiple reasons. It seems daunting....but it's super easy.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
So, a small improvement with a real CAI attached to a stock car. 227 up to 232.

One could expect better results with mods.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
It's a pod filter, and results are very different on different cars. Our intake is a decent design. Take my old car for example. Pzev design. When replaced by a under the fender cold air on a dyno made an 11.4 hp gain. Same car also got 2 hp from switching to cheap copper core plugs with a much bigger gap over the stock platinum plugs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Mountune is a racing winning engine builder long time for Ford factory rally cars. The ST200 Airbox was a direct result of the Mountune box. Mountune does like to test their stuff so I am sure there is some improvement over stock . If you combine this with a crossover pipe and a intake hose I am sure you will pick up some improvements as well. Again Mountune tested their intake tubes. Suffice to say one cannot go wrong with either. I also feel the big mouth is not ideal as it robs potential airflow that would normally go directly to your radiator. I would rather port a hole in the fog light cover or even change the fog light out for a LED Ring and velocity tube going to the cold air hose.

A velossatech Big mouth? Yessir....I have one along with a fog light that has an air inlet built in for the ST200 box to go too!

This is the ideal setup IMO. I have my ST200 hose sort of tucked up above the fog light in kind of dead air. Down the road I would like to get the hose into a more ram air effect. The drivers fog light hole is perfect for this, but I hate to lose the light in the process.

My only concern is the intake hose being that low in puddle/hydro lock danger. Not sure if AEM even sells it anymore but one of those one way valves they had might be a good idea. Just avoiding water is the answer but I have seen enough freak hydrolock shit in person for it to be a concern for me.

Spork1569

This is the ideal setup IMO. I have my ST200 hose sort of tucked up above the fog light in kind of dead air. Down the road I would like to get the hose into a more ram air effect. The drivers fog light hole is perfect for this, but I hate to lose the light in the process.

My only concern is the intake hose being that low in puddle/hydro lock danger. Not sure if AEM even sells it anymore but one of those one way valves they had might be a good idea. Just avoiding water is the answer but I have seen enough freak hydrolock shit in person for it to be a concern for me.
I think the material for the ST200 is made with moisture in minds, seeing as it's more of a cloth than a waterproof plastic/vinyl I think water would have a harder time getting up the hose, let alone past the air filter.

Rain [emoji943] ram air intakes might be problematic. Mountune or ST200 with a secondary fibrous intake tube mitigates water from entering. They made it like that for a reason. Yolo! [emoji2112]
I’ve yet to hear if anyone having that issue with a big mouth. It’s been raining pretty good hear for the past few days and I’ve yet to see any moisture issues when checking the filter. Not saying it’s not possible but I feel like you’d have to be going through some really have shit for it to cause an issue

I’ve yet to hear if anyone having that issue with a big mouth. It’s been raining pretty good hear for the past few days and I’ve yet to see any moisture issues when checking the filter. Not saying it’s not possible but I feel like you’d have to be going through some really have shit for it to cause an issue

I think someone had a problem on here. Can’t say when or where but it’s simple physics 🦆

I think someone had a problem on here. Can’t say when or where but it’s simple physics [emoji1658]
Never said it wasn’t possible, because it is. Just saying that from the checks I’ve done on mine in heavy rain filter never got wet and that is going 65 for 35 miles.