Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cold air intake vs. Air box

danbfree

3000 Post Club
That's also a bit why I'm on the fence too. All my mods so far have been reversible given enough time, but you can't uncut the shroud.
Not sure why it would matter if the shroud is cut, as it can't be seen, at all, and there are no downsides... it's just one of those things were Ford didn't do it from the factory as it would cost $2 in labor or something, and at intended stock power levels it's not a big deal but between the crappy stock radiator and IC, it's worth it for the enthusiast to do.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
FWIW I've had my car nearly 4 years. Done 100+ datalogs with stock turbo, all bolt ons and custom tune, then about 8 more tunes on my X47. All of this with various airbox configurations ranging from stock to panel to big mouth to CP-E and everything in between. I've measured airflow mass and done dyno runs and here are my conclusions in 2 simple sentences:

1. CP-E intake showed the same airflow psi as panel filter with stock box.
2. Dyno run with no filter at all only showed a 0.5 hp gain over having a panel filter installed.

If you want noise, spend your money and get it. If all you want is power, keep the stock airbox and get a panel filter.
Did you ever compare the stock paper filter with a panel filter? Is there a measurable difference?

FWIW I've had my car nearly 4 years. Done 100+ datalogs with stock turbo, all bolt ons and custom tune, then about 8 more tunes on my X47. All of this with various airbox configurations ranging from stock to panel to big mouth to CP-E and everything in between. I've measured airflow mass and done dyno runs and here are my conclusions in 2 simple sentences:

2. Dyno run with no filter at all only showed a 0.5 hp gain over having a panel filter installed.

If you want noise, spend your money and get it. If all you want is power, keep the stock airbox and get a panel filter.
Do you recommend Mishimoto Cold Side and Charge pipe? What about crossover with induction??

jeff

2000 Post Club
Did you ever compare the stock paper filter with a panel filter? Is there a measurable difference?
I did not compare them on a dyno, but enough word on the street says there IS a difference. Just look at them, the stocker is about 3 times as thick, that tells you something.

Do you recommend Mishimoto Cold Side and Charge pipe? What about crossover with induction??
I don't believe in charge pipe upgrades unless you need a port for meth. See my review/thoughts on the hose kit though, nice bling and a fun install and definitely hold up better than the OEM ones...and a little change in noise/sound....but no performance gain IMHO...I only purchased/installed these because I was babbling on the forum and a vendor gave me a kit at 50% off in exchange for a review:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K1RdW5mBNY&t=27s

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I did not compare them on a dyno, but enough word on the street says there IS a difference. Just look at them, the stocker is about 3 times as thick, that tells you something.

I don't believe in charge pipe upgrades unless you need a port for meth. See my review/thoughts on the hose kit though, nice bling and a fun install and definitely hold up better than the OEM ones...and a little change in noise/sound....but no performance gain IMHO...I only purchased/installed these because I was babbling on the forum and a vendor gave me a kit at 50% off in exchange for a review:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K1RdW5mBNY&t=27s
Unless you need to be tuned to see any gains, I just swapped in a green filter after getting tuned on E30 and under similar logging conditions saw no measurable difference in HP and TQ. The lines virtually overlapped completely.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Unless you need to be tuned to see any gains, I just swapped in a green filter after getting tuned on E30 and under similar logging conditions saw no measurable difference in HP and TQ. The lines virtually overlapped completely.
I agree, unless you also do a crossover and induction hose upgrade, a drop in is just to get a touch more sound really, the rest of the intake system is still a bottleneck at that point... And no, an e30 tune already maxes out the stock turbo, BO's are just for consistent charge temps and a touch more torque when staying with the stock turbo. No matter how much people drop money into stage 3 upgrades, a stock car on e30 vs. FBO car on e30 would be nearly identical in performance, but an upgraded intercooler would just prevent heatsoak on extended spirited driving.

Last edited:

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I agree, unless you also do a crossover and induction hose upgrade, a drop in is just to get a touch more sound really, the rest of the intake system is still a bottleneck at that point... And no, an e30 tune already maxes out the stock turbo, BO's are just for consistent charge temps and a touch more torque when staying with the stock turbo. No matter how much people drop money into stage 3 upgrades, a stock car on e30 vs. FBO car on e30 would be nearly identical in performance, but an upgraded intercooler would just prevent heatsoak on extended spirited driving.
Many of the posts I've read people have already purchased bolt ons before tuning so it's been hard to tell how much the mods affected the tune. Since I got E30 tuned full stock (besides spark plugs) I was curious how much I was leaving on the table. Drop-in filter alone won't do anything, and for very sporadic WOT pulls stock IC is fine in my opinion. I don't think I would consider any other bolt ons until I get a larger turbocharger. I don't feel like the gains per buck are worth it. Good tires and eventually brakes will be my next upgrade.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The ST200 airbox was my first mod. It did make the car feel better more happy. I would think Ford put it on the ST200 for a reason.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

So, what's the general consensus here? I reread through all this, the stock box with a good filter seems to be as good as anything, no? One post mentions the ITG being the best option?

Nearing 30k miles, and the filter needs replacing. Was looking at the ST200 airbox, but now not sure I shouldn't just do good panel filter.

FWIW, warranty up in January, so the mods will commence... Looking at a Whoosh hybrid or S280 down the road.

Brianmc27

So, what's the general consensus here? I reread through all this, the stock box with a good filter seems to be as good as anything, no? One post mentions the ITG being the best option?

Nearing 30k miles, and the filter needs replacing. Was looking at the ST200 airbox, but now not sure I shouldn't just do good panel filter.

FWIW, warranty up in January, so the mods will commence... Looking at a Whoosh hybrid or S280 down the road.
I’d say the ST200 or Mountune, whichever one you can get for cheaper, is the best choice if you want more than a drop-in only.

There’s a guys on Fists of Fury (FB group) selling a Mountune one for $150 that I bet you could get for less than asking.

danbfree

3000 Post Club

There is not much we can do at all beyond e30 to get any more HP out of the engine with such a small turbo exhaust port limiting our flow, but it's in the crossover and induction hose sections that gains in torque were seen when a tuner did an intake comparison... so yes, the point of this thread is pretty moot unfortunately, the actual filter end of it seems to make very little difference, the Mountune complete ST200 style with filter is down to just under $200 now on special, that would be a good way to go right now