Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Considering a Tesla Model 3 for wife...would like informed opinions

Remi

In Miami I believe it. I live in NC. I found 5 sites within a 100 miles. 1 within 30 minutes of me.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Makes sense, that would be annoying. Unless you're charging at home overnight or at work. But then again, if you're charging at home you have to factor in the cost of adding a charger.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
This may be the case with many, as I alluded to earlier, but not everyone, and certainly not me. I've never given them a second glance until 2 days ago when I realized they were within my price range. Then I started doing comparisons. It has nothing to do with the badge for me - like I said earlier it's about what is the best way to spend my money.

I'm definitely not going to not buy one because of a label people might put on me...that's their problem. To me it would be no different from buying a Chevy or a Lexus - it's about what I think is best for my needs, not the badge. Heck I drive a Ford Fiesta, and I could have bought pretty much any car I wanted instead but I bought this because I liked it. Many people I know make fun of me but I don't drive it for them or because of what they think. A Tesla would be the same. I wouldn't be driving it to get anyone's attention or approval, I'd drive it because it was what I decided was best for my needs.

Having said that, I'm 2 days into researching now and I'm leaning away from Tesla because of some objective reasons that have nothing to do with the pomp that some associate with the brand.

Exactly. You're leaning away because...

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #43
Exactly. You're leaning away because...
This will be the close of this thread because I'm about to start another. I went into the Tesla thing 3 days ago as a Tesla 'virgin' as it were. Bottom line is what is the best sedan for <$50k that fits my needs at this stage in life. Like everything I do I research research research before buying and then keep the car a good long while. My wife has been driving a van since 2003 and it's nearly time to spoil her. She's pretty excited.

Ultimately I've completely lost interest in Tesla after 3 days of research because:
- range anxiety/long trips become longer which defeats the purpose of us buying our "nice don't need a 7 seater anymore and are ready to do lots of road trips now that the kids are mostly gone" stage of life car
- build quality
- lack of access to repair/dealer/service
- speed and tech do not make up for numb vanilla lifeless appliance feel

I haven't driven one but all the reviewers I respect have said enough to make me realize without even driving one that this isn't the car for me.

However, I just test drove another car on my radar and am about to start the research stage on that one....another thread coming...

A bit late to the game, and see you have moved on, but the $49k price, is that a new car? A Performance S is $99,990 purchase price (without any options), then there is the $1850 fed tax credit (not 7500, that is gone), then some states have another $2500ish in tax credits, and some power utilities help with installing a charger.

I assume your talking about a new car, as you talk about "with incentives" as there wont be any incentives on used car (that I know of).

I drive a Ford Fusion Energi, which provides only 18-25 miles of electric range. With my 3ish mile commute each way its fantastic. I go 6-8 weeks between getting gas. After 6 years and 55k miles and 60mpg ave, I firmly believe that every family should have 1 EV in their garage. Now if its an only car, I am a lot more hesitant due to range on longer trips, and things like last weekends hours long lines to get to use a charger. But if you have an SUV for touring the country, there is no reason an electric isn't the best option for around town. I also am one that has a separate "Fun" car, as I never expect only 1 car to fill all of my needs. Everything is a compromise, and trying to shoe horn a car into a do everything pigeon hole isn't realistic. Thats why I don't get why people talk about driving excitement in a car that they sit in traffic, or putt bumper to bumper down the freeway in, whats the point? I find those people the type that dont ever actually take their car to the track and race.

I just joined the FiST family last month after selling my heavily modified C4 Corvette. After winning my regions CAM class for autocross, I was looking to move to something that could be competitive on a national level. A Model 3 Performance won BS this year, the first electric to win a national championship. My wife and I went and test drove a basic 3 RWD. The sales lady showed us all the ins and outs of the car, and from that alone, my wife was stunned how amazing the car is. We went for a short test drive, and this lowliest slowest RWD model was STUNNINGLY fast. This is coming from a 450hp Corvette, the 3 felt faster 0-40. The only reason I didn't get one, I would have needed the dual motor version, which is 50k (and only 1850 fed/2500 state credits available).

If your goal is long road trips with the car, yes dont get the Tesla or any all electrics, but in the right circumstances, a Tesla/Leaf/Bolt/Mach-E make a ton of sense.

Ah ok, the 3 makes more sense with what your talking about. But the Performance is 56,990 before delivery, and again the 7500 tax credit is gone, only $1850 if you take delivery before the end of the year. Just want to be sure you weren't looking at it with "include potential savings" which includes savings in fuel as well. Not that it matters at this point, just dont want others being tricked like I was.

Considering your needs, the Stinger sounds like a great option, or the better driving Genesis G70, but those havent come down in price like the Stingers have.

Remi

Jeff I understand you and your wife decided to go away from the Tesla, with good reasons. But I still recommend taking a test drive when you guys have a chance, if you have a Tesla store nearby. Even if just for the novelty.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #47
Jeff I understand you and your wife decided to go away from the Tesla, with good reasons. But I still recommend taking a test drive when you guys have a chance, if you have a Tesla store nearby. Even if just for the novelty.
Thanks I appreciate that. Yeah I definitely respect them, just not right for me when I start seriously thinking about the next 10 years of my life. if I had the money to get an electric for around town and a newer gas car for trips I would, but I don’t think that would be responsible.