Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Considering buying a Fiesta ST

ScaR

Hello Everyone I’m new

I just wanted to ask around. I’m currently in the market looking for cars that are built like a rally car. I’m considering a fiesta ST and VW type R. But the reason why I’m indecisive is because I don’t see much of the fiesta ST online. Like I try to look at videos of Fiesta ST like down pipes and etc and can’t find anything so I don’t know what’s good and what’s not. I’m trying to build a rally car. I love Ken block which is one reason why I’m considering a fiesta. But please let me know what you guys enjoy about the car. Let me know what is most annoying about the car any issues that I should be aware of and etc. I’m coming in this with an open mindset.

I'm sure you're aware but the Fiesta Ken drove is basically just a silhouette car. Those cars are far from anything near a streetable fiesta.

That aside, I drive a base model fiesta and I have a ton of fun with it. The steering is tighter on the ST and I feel the SE has pretty decent steering for a little economy box. I know some people actually favor the base model knuckles for rally driving because that's preferred for rally I guess. I know ken blocks daughter actually competes in a base model fiesta.

If you do some reading you can find a couple rally people on here as well as LOADS of information on the engine.

Just know that the Fiesta ST is FWD only. I guess you're referring to the Golf-R which is AWD. For Rally I would go AWD though you can have fun FWD, AWD would be the ticket in that arena IMO.

I’m trying to build a rally car.
Not to shit on your dreams but turning a street car into an actual rally car will be prohibitively expensive. While they may share the same chassis, real rally cars are nothing like their street going brethren.

That said, the Fiesta ST is a great car. There is a ton of mod support to do anything you'd realistically like to do, and at this stage in the cars life cycle the issues and limitations of the car are known. This forum is a wealth of knowledge too.

By "VW Type R" I'm assuming you mean the Golf R. I've never driven one but have heard good things. The EA888 has proven to be a great engine, but it's not fair to compare the Golf R to the FiST though since they're in different classes.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Actually, except for Ken's (or anyone's for that matter) World Rallycross Fiesta (which is a 2 liter turbo mounted north-south and possibly a partially tube framed front clip), ALL other WRC rally cars must be based on a standard production unibody car, and are NOT silhoutte cars.

That being said, actual stage rallying cars are far from being passing any state's inspection program 'street legal' even though yes, they must be somehow registered and insured for street use since that's how they get to, and between the competition timed special stages, on transits on public roads.

They must have functional; headlights, turn signals, brake lights, wipers, and horn, but (at the top international levels at least) they also have FULL extensive cages installed, 'on-off switch' racing puck type clutches with sequential gearboxes, and noisy anti-lag systems on their turbos, making them useless for any stop and go traffic on the streets (even IF you live in a state with no inspection system to worry about, whatsoever!).

BTW; Ken's daughter Lia currently competes in a fully prepped BRZ, and his wife competes in a Fiesta Rally 3 car (like an ST converted to AWD with a conversion 'kit', and fully prepped).

They both used to compete in a Fiesta R2T car which yes, is based on a 2 door Euro/Brit Fiesta SES (1.0 turbo 3 pot), but fully gutted, seam welded, prepped, and Sadev 5 speed sequential driven, caged, and full rally suspension installed.

ScaR; the operative words here are based on production cars.
You do NOT want to be driving an actual, fully prepped/set up stage rally car on the streets as a daily ride, in any slow and stop and go traffic, at all.

Even if you could somehow get around the registration, inspection, and insurance issues, and your local LEOs would not pull you over for the; full cage, harness belts, etc., they are just not feasible as a regular use ride. [:(]

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Not to shit on your dreams but turning a street car into an actual rally car will be prohibitively expensive. While they may share the same chassis, real rally cars are nothing like their street going brethren.

That said, the Fiesta ST is a great car. There is a ton of mod support to do anything you'd realistically like to do, and at this stage in the cars life cycle the issues and limitations of the car are known. This forum is a wealth of knowledge too.

By "VW Type R" I'm assuming you mean the Golf R. I've never driven one but have heard good things. The EA888 has proven to be a great engine, but it's not fair to compare the Golf R to the FiST though since they're in different classes.
^^^THIS! [twothumb]

If you're saying "like a rally car" in the same way I meant when ultimately deciding to go with a Fiesta ST then yes it's fantastic. Gives you a taste of a lot of different motorsport / modified car sensations depending on what you do with it. Still not sure what I could replace it with that captures this particular cross section of things at this cost. Everything else I would consider is still fun but different.

Last edited:
OP
S

ScaR

Thread Starter #10
Sorry for the confusion I'm not trying to actually build the car like a rally car. I just want to make it look like a rally car and perform the best is possibly could. I appreciate all the comments.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Sorry for the confusion I'm not trying to actually build the car like a rally car. I just want to make it look like a rally car and perform the best is possibly could. I appreciate all the comments.
In that case, YES, as it is one of the reasons I bought this car new, in the first place, as well. [wink] [thumb]

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Then go for it!
It’s really an awesome car, I’ve had mine for 3 years and am still in love with it. I’m also making mine look like a rally car
602CB499-2FA0-46D0-BC2B-B3B3702F5082.jpeg
Also, I’ve been very happy with how it handles on gravel.
https://youtube.com/shorts/RAWrvCn1fUM?feature=share

Last edited: