Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Considering purchasing 2019 FiST, need advice

Moth

Hey all,

I'm considering buying a used 2019 FiST (63k miles) but am having some reservations about it based on some red flags in its service history and some other things I noticed while test driving it.

No accidents reported on the CarFax. The front struts and tie rod ends were replaced before being listed on the current lot. The wheels have a lot of curb rash, including on the interior of at least one, which has me concerned that it was curbed (or worse) pretty hard and I worry about further damage to the suspension or frame. I didn't seen any real evidence of that or it having any body work done, but then again I'm no expert. Driving it felt okay, nothing strange really popped out; the car may have drifted a little to the right when hands were off the wheel for an extended period. I'm not convinced how thorough it was, but I did have a PPI done on it and with the exception of needing new brakes and rotors, everything seemed to check out. I still have this nagging feeling, though. Besides that, the other issues are:

Blend door actuator
Wiper fluid pump not working (not sure if it's a fuse, the switch or motor itself)
Couple chips in the windshield, some exterior molding has sun damage (it's from TX)

Those issues aren't exactly dealbreakers for me, I'm really just concerned about the suspension, frame and transmission. Am I warranted in being overly paranoid/cautious or should I just go ahead and the bite the bullet? Any help would be appreciated and I'm happy to provide whatever; Carfax, photos, etc. Thanks!

I would prefer to see curb rash over a bran new un damaged wheel. Because that would indicate replacement of a wheel that was no longer usable. I would get a trusted mechanic or shop to inspect the vehicle and let you know what the vehicle needs. No matter how cheap you can get a car, if you don't feel comfortable in it, you won't get to fully enjoy it. do what you need to, to get that peace of mind.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I would prefer to see curb rash over a bran new un damaged wheel. Because that would indicate replacement of a wheel that was no longer usable. I would get a trusted mechanic or shop to inspect the vehicle and let you know what the vehicle needs. No matter how cheap you can get a car, if you don't feel comfortable in it, you won't get to fully enjoy it. do what you need to, to get that peace of mind.
What he said

Intuit

3000 Post Club
ForScan along with an OBD II adapter can be used to pull codes. (BlueTooth is good for reading settings but USB is needed if changing settings or programming modules)

The wheels have a lot of curb rash, including on the interior of at least one, which has me concerned that it was curbed (or worse) pretty hard and I worry about further damage to the suspension or frame.
Pictures help but it could just be bad parking. It'll look a bit different but with painted wheels, can also happen with jack-leg tire installation. There are some threads here from members who've curbed their rides. Those threads will give you clues as to what to look for, in terms of frame damage.

My 2016 has the worst curb rash because Atlanta. I swear they put random huge unpainted curbs in poorly lit parking lots on purpose. My wheels look like shit (and will be replaced) but it's all cosmetic, no frame damage. Blend door actuator is a constant problem with FiSTs, I've replaced two in seven years.