Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Coolant Recall - Can I get the parts and do it myself?

I've been battling loss of coolant and coolant boiling over with my '14 ST - first it was a cracked coolant reservoir tank which I replaced with a cheapo aftermarket one. Now the cheapo replacement won't hold pressure either (I think the fill neck is slightly out of round and the bottom o-ring on the rad cap can't seal properly (I replaced the rad cap - same problem). The system will only hold 10 to 12psi before it starts leaking out of the overflow.

So my dealer wasn't able to do the coolant recall last time I tried and I'm reluctant to take the car in again - I autocross the car and don't want to have it re-flashed and end up with the lower rev limit that comes with the reflash.

I believe the recall comes with a new coolant reservoir tank (can anyone verify?) so that would be a bonus if I can swap out the POS aftermarket one.

Here's my question - is there any trick to getting Ford to send me the parts so that I can do the recall myself?

I will confirm that the recall does come with a new, egg-shaped tank, with a seam in the middle. The hoses into and out of the tank also change. The wiring loom is modified to include the new sensor. This is a link to the entire procedure.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/2754/safety...vel-sensor-system-installation-2013-2015-ford

I had the recall done and then swapped back to the pre-style tank for a couple of reasons, but the one that might be relevant to you is an encounter I had at the track: I had the hood open at a track day after the recall was done and a guy walking by pointed at the tank and said "Those will leak at the seam." I didn't know him, he didn't know me, but apparently it's a Mustang tank and they fail often enough on tracked Mustangs that it's a problem.

I still have the recall tank, and I can take pictures if you want to see the seam I'm talking about.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

xxiaze

I have a 14 and had the recall done by my local dealership. I’m the cars 3rd owner and the vehicle had 100k mi on it when performed. It included a new reservoir, new coolant lines to the reservoir and the sensor. They took care of it no questions asked all expenses paid and project completed without issue other than the typical it will be done on X day and it wasn’t dealership style. I’ve had the “egg” reservoir for a while now, zero issues.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I autocross the car and don't want to have it re-flashed and end up with the lower rev limit that comes with the?
No need to reflash anything. The recall is not related to the flash, so not relevant. And if your dealer gives you guff, go to another one. Recall is not a warranty.

Last edited:

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
On a related note - mine is a 2015, and it *should* technically be included in the recall, but isn't (not coming up if I check the VIN on Ford's website).

EDIT : Apparently, the recall is for cars made up to the end of May 2014; mine was built in July. So - no soup for me!

Last edited:
OP
S
Thread Starter #7
No need to reflash anything. The recall is not related to the flash, so not relevant. And if your dealer gives you guff, go to another one. Recall is not a warranty.
Reading through the procedure it says the following:

1626471913850.png
I'm assuming by reprogramming the PCM I'll get the lower rev limit. Also, in a rev limit string I read a month or 2 ago at least one guy said when he got the car back it had the lower rev limit. I could ask them to skip that part but I bet they'd either refuse or promise me they'd skip it but go ahead and do it anyway - I don't want to risk that.

OP
S
Thread Starter #8
I will confirm that the recall does come with a new, egg-shaped tank, with a seam in the middle. The hoses into and out of the tank also change. The wiring loom is modified to include the new sensor. This is a link to the entire procedure.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/2754/safety...vel-sensor-system-installation-2013-2015-ford

I had the recall done and then swapped back to the pre-style tank for a couple of reasons, but the one that might be relevant to you is an encounter I had at the track: I had the hood open at a track day after the recall was done and a guy walking by pointed at the tank and said "Those will leak at the seam." I didn't know him, he didn't know me, but apparently it's a Mustang tank and they fail often enough on tracked Mustangs that it's a problem.

I still have the recall tank, and I can take pictures if you want to see the seam I'm talking about.

Thanks, that's super helpful. I can't see any way they'd hand me all those parts though. Actually looks like they replace a bunch of stuff. I wonder if they still use the crappy egg-shaped tank? I'm still reluctant to take it to the dealer though for risk of ending up with the lower rev limit which by my reading will probably happen.

OP
S
Thread Starter #9
Why weren't they able to do it? They should be able to take care of it for you.
The dealer is a 100 mile round trip for me so I took it in for 2 recalls and some other work - I dropped it off early and walked around town for the day. When I went to pick it up they told me they didn't have time to do it and wouldn't give me a loaner so I left and haven't taken the time to go back.

OP
S
Thread Starter #10
I have a 14 and had the recall done by my local dealership. I’m the cars 3rd owner and the vehicle had 100k mi on it when performed. It included a new reservoir, new coolant lines to the reservoir and the sensor. They took care of it no questions asked all expenses paid and project completed without issue other than the typical it will be done on X day and it wasn’t dealership style. I’ve had the “egg” reservoir for a while now, zero issues.
Don't suppose you know if your rev limit was lower when you got it back?

xxiaze

Don't suppose you know if your rev limit was lower when you got it back?
It seems to still be the same I think usually cuts around 6800rpm… so if it was 7k then yes it might be a little lower. That should be able to be tuned out again though. Whatever it is if they did anything in that regard I didn’t really notice tbh.

Thanks, that's super helpful. I can't see any way they'd hand me all those parts though. Actually looks like they replace a bunch of stuff. I wonder if they still use the crappy egg-shaped tank? I'm still reluctant to take it to the dealer though for risk of ending up with the lower rev limit which by my reading will probably happen.
They probably still use the same tank; I can't think of a reason they wouldn't. And the recall only adds a sensor to throw a CEL. If you're running a tune, the sensor is ignored with Cobb's firmware for the AP and you are left with a tank that's more prone to leaking. If you're already in the habit of periodically checking your coolant level, it would be a lot less work to just replace the aftermarket tank with a new OEM one (or a better aftermarket one).

I'll get pictures of the tank later tonight and post them here.

xxiaze

They probably still use the same tank; I can't think of a reason they wouldn't. And the recall only adds a sensor to throw a CEL. If you're running a tune, the sensor is ignored with Cobb's firmware for the AP and you are left with a tank that's more prone to leaking. If you're already in the habit of periodically checking your coolant level, it would be a lot less work to just replace the aftermarket tank with a new OEM one (or a better aftermarket one).

For me it was a good idea, in my opinion, because my reservoir was well worn and stained beat down and discolored from time and age… same went for my coolant send return lines to the reservoir. It was a nice refresh to the system. It was worth doing I think.

OP
S
Thread Starter #14

No tune for me - I run in SCCA HS locally and we have a very competitive little batch of STs so no desire to change for now. I've got in the habit of checking the coolant daily but that's just because of the issues I'm having with the tank right now so I might start to slack off if and when I get that resolved. Anyhoo, the potential for loosing my high rev limit is still the main reason I won't do this (I did a run in my buddy's '16 and the lower rev limit made it noticeably slower on a fast 2nd gear course - I bet my car pulled for another 40 or 50ft before the limiter kicked in).

Here are all sides of the recall's expansion tank that I removed from my car. If you look at the tank in your car, shankster, you'll notice that you have 3 ports to connect to hoses while the recall tank only has 2. To perform the recall, you have to source both hoses for the new tank in addition to the tank assembly. The black plastic tube is the coolant level sensor the recall adds to our cars. There is no plug for this sensor, so the loom is modified to add a plug and then the car is reflashed to throw a CEL when the sensor detect a low coolant level. You will not get a CEL for low coolant without reflashing your car.
DSC_0226.JPG DSC_0227.JPG DSC_0228.JPG

This seam in the middle is what I was told will weep coolant. The reason I was warned is because the tank doesn't visibly crack or leak coolant, it only weeps, and will weep enough to overheat your car on a summer track day in Texas. The way to catch these leaks is to run your finger along the seam and see if you finger comes away wet. So you'll still need to be checking your coolant level with the new tank if you don't have your car flashed to utilize the sensor.
DSC_0229.JPG

I will admit that I did not have any issues with coolant loss while this tank was installed on the car, but I also reinstalled my tune as soon as Cobb updated the Accessport for recalled Fiestas. That AP update eliminated the CEL this sensor would throw so I still checked the tank and coolant levels at least once a day when I was at the track. Now I have an aluminum reservoir tank (I needed the metal tank to attach a mount for a shock reservoir) and I don't check as often.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
No tune for me - I run in SCCA HS locally and we have a very competitive little batch of STs so no desire to change for now. I've got in the habit of checking the coolant daily but that's just because of the issues I'm having with the tank right now so I might start to slack off if and when I get that resolved. Anyhoo, the potential for loosing my high rev limit is still the main reason I won't do this (I did a run in my buddy's '16 and the lower rev limit made it noticeably slower on a fast 2nd gear course - I bet my car pulled for another 40 or 50ft before the limiter kicked in).
H/Street rules allow for raising the rev limiter, but nothing else as far as tuning goes??

Or are you claiming that the pre '16 rev limiters were set higher right from the factory? [???:)]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Here are all sides of the recall's expansion tank that I removed from my car. If you look at the tank in your car, shankster, you'll notice that you have 3 ports to connect to hoses while the recall tank only has 2. To perform the recall, you have to source both hoses for the new tank in addition to the tank assembly. The black plastic tube is the coolant level sensor the recall adds to our cars. There is no plug for this sensor, so the loom is modified to add a plug and then the car is reflashed to throw a CEL when the sensor detect a low coolant level. You will not get a CEL for low coolant without reflashing your car.
View attachment 42141 View attachment 42142 View attachment 42143

This seam in the middle is what I was told will weep coolant. The reason I was warned is because the tank doesn't visibly crack or leak coolant, it only weeps, and will weep enough to overheat your car on a summer track day in Texas. The way to catch these leaks is to run your finger along the seam and see if you finger comes away wet. So you'll still need to be checking your coolant level with the new tank if you don't have your car flashed to utilize the sensor.
View attachment 42144

I will admit that I did not have any issues with coolant loss while this tank was installed on the car, but I also reinstalled my tune as soon as Cobb updated the Accessport for recalled Fiestas. That AP update eliminated the CEL this sensor would throw so I still checked the tank and coolant levels at least once a day when I was at the track. Now I have an aluminum reservoir tank (I needed the metal tank to attach a mount for a shock reservoir) and I don't check as often.
Do the original factory tanks also eventually 'weep' at that equivalent seam, or do they just crack at the hose nipples, and very visibly leak coolant?

Do the original factory tanks also eventually 'weep' at that equivalent seam, or do they just crack at the hose nipples, and very visibly leak coolant?
It's a possibility since it also has a seam in the middle, but the original tank didn't get a random Mustang driver to warn me about coolant leaks.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
For recalls you have to have the Ford dealer do it. Not to mention since its a recall you don't have to pay anything.