Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

DHM Race Crash Bar and Intercooler!

Trader history for DHM (0)

Has anyone or do you Dhm have a oil cooling setup recommended to work with the intercooler/bar setup? After my last and first track day I see that I need to bring coolant and oil temps down some before summer hits if I plan to do it again here in the desert.

I am waiting on my intercooler but I have a Mishimoto radiator to go with it.

With the stock water to oil heat exchanger, it might do as well as a stock radiator with an air to oil cooler. If not I'm going to make a cooler that fits but I know the radiator is a compatible upgrade.

Good point on that. The radiator might be the better of the two if you only get one or the better to get first if you are to get that or or an oil cooler.

Pete

Wow lots to read in 67 pages... I am sold on this even more so now seeing the comparisons of the j line vs the dhm set up. For those of you who installed it how low does it sit? For example is it flush with the factory lower bumper (top part) or does it sit a little lower. Im asking because I already have an underbody tray and I want it to be as flush as possible on it. From the pictures it looks pretty flush with the top part of the lower bumper. Does this make sense?

TempeST

I think I get what you are saying. And yes when installed, it sits flush with the top part of the lower valence. So if that's where your under tray starts it will be perfect. The j line sits MUCH lower it actually pushed my lower part of the lower valence down.

Pete

Yeah I currently have the j line installed. I made a custom under tray that is flush with the bottom of the stock bumper. So maybe I could ask for the dhm to be 1 inch lower then. So I don't have airflow going under the intercooler.

TempeST

Russ did a custom setup for another member that lowered it a couple inches. it would be something you would need to talk to him about, but I do not think it is out of his reach. those guys are awesome over there. Good luck with it, and I know you will really dig this setup. not to mention the weight savings you will get from switching over

jayrod1980

The intercooler does not sit below the bottom bumper and is almost flush with the lower grill. I don't think you have anything to worry about aero-wise because it's "inside" the bottom bumper if you're under the car looking at it from behind. The stock bumper already extends inward farther than the IC. As far as extending below, I believe the face of the intercooler goes a bit lower than the lower grill opening. Lowering the intercooler will do nothing for you unless it extends lower than the radiator that is behind it. You can't see the IC from behind because the radiator extends lower. You shouldn't need to do any modification to the mounting at all. The only thing you do is leave off two small plastic side pieces that are inside the bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayrod1980

By the way... Air flows through and under the IC, it's not a wall, it's made for air to pull heat out of the core by flowing through the fins. Lowering it will not likely change aero because the radio is immediately behind and lower than the IC

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Does anyone know the diameter of the main tube that runs along the top of the DHM crash bar? Also the diameter of the two shorter bars that are welded to the top bar? I'm going to install my big mouth intake and some splitter support rods that will attach to the crash bar. I want to use pipe/tube clamps, but I don't want to take the front end off twice to measure the clamps, order them and then pull the front end off to install the splitter rods and clamps. Thanks for any help you guys/gals can provide.

Pete

As you can see from my pictures my current set up does sit below the radiator. But I was still able to make smooth airflow. I just want to have as much air passing through the intercooler rather then around it. I don't have the stock plastic pieces there as I made my own out of aluminum.

Does anyone know the diameter of the main tube that runs along the top of the DHM crash bar? Also the diameter of the two shorter bars that are welded to the top bar? I'm going to install my big mouth intake and some splitter support rods that will attach to the crash bar. I want to use pipe/tube clamps, but I don't want to take the front end off twice to measure the clamps, order them and then pull the front end off to install the splitter rods and clamps. Thanks for any help you guys/gals can provide.
The OD of the bars is 1.25"

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I lowered my DHM IC so it sits right on top of my DIY undertray to clear more direct air to the other coolers and lower the CG a bit. I now have an ABS divider that goes from the top of the IC to the crash bar and nearly finished with side plates on the IC and then will finish up the upper ducting so all air that gets through the grill has to go through the coolers.

One thing I have posted many times but have not seen anybody else do is open up the radiator support below the radiator to allow more air out of the back of the IC and not get blocked or force up to the radiator, etc......I have done other things as well but harder to explain.

The more you address air flow through the coolers, and out from the engine bay, the better things will be and there is much to improve upon.

Seems to mildly break physics, as it drops my charge temps below ambient. Not sure what's up with that, but oh well.
Can't beat physics. Adiabatic cooling, maybe? Now what that means for your tune is beyond me, but there is probably some negative effect mixed in with whatever results you got.

twolf

Can't beat physics. Adiabatic cooling, maybe? Now what that means for your tune is beyond me, but there is probably some negative effect mixed in with whatever results you got.
it was just a joke, ;)

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Has anyone done a comparison on a stock vehicle before and after install for an official drop in Temps?

OP
DHM1

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #678
Has anyone done a comparison on a stock vehicle before and after install for an official drop in Temps?
Yea the data is in one of the million post lol. I'll see if I can dig it up

Rhinopolis

Just ordered your front crash bar and looking forward to increasing some air flow and shedding a few pounds off the nose!

I'd like to order mine with the Tial BOV I'm just curious to find out if you can run that with stock turbo or if there's anything you need in order to use it?