Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

DIY shortshifter

Not satisfied with aftermarket options and prices thought I would attempt a bit of fab. $30 for a used stock lever and $20 in materials. Couple hours with a grinder and file. Press fit and grey epoxy assembly. Pretty happy with results. Only concern at this point is might have gone to long. Rough calculations show 1 inch extension should yield approx. 25% reduction but it has to fit under the console. Will post results after install.

Attachments

Spork1569

Not satisfied with aftermarket options and prices thought I would attempt a bit of fab. $30 for a used stock lever and $20 in materials. Couple hours with a grinder and file. Press fit and grey epoxy assembly. Pretty happy with results. Only concern at this point is might have gone to long. Rough calculations show 1 inch extension should yield approx. 25% reduction but it has to fit under the console. Will post results after install.
Cool to see that the idea worked out. Plus at the price point of $50 vs $200, might be a good investment for a DIYer who might want to save a bit over the premium part.

Looks a lot taller than the Boomba version but that may be just due to the design of the lever.

OP
G
Thread Starter #3
Attempted install. It's too long. Didn't even attempt to swap out the lever. As soon as I pulled the console could see it wasn't gonna work. Could probably get cable to snap over the ball stud but at such an extreme angle cable will bind in housing. Will try again with shorter spacer.

OP
G
Thread Starter #4
Rev. B

3/4" spacer. Sill hoping to get at least 20% reduction. Included pic of work in progress to show how I got there. Will attempt install again this weekend.

Attachments

OP
G
Thread Starter #5
Installed. Works. 3/4" spacer is the sweet spot. Lever travel reduced approx. 1 inch. Cable is at pretty high angle but no binding in housing. Cheap stealth mod, looks almost factory.

Attachments

OP
G
Thread Starter #8
Feels like it should have from the factory. Throws are perfect. Typical of any short shifter, slightly higher effort.

Actually could make two more if there is interest, have my factory lever and also sourced a new factory assy in case I broke something on the install.

OP
G
Thread Starter #9
Did a bit of a write up of the process for another member and thought I'd post it up here in case anyone else wants to try it. Adhesive I use is essentially aerospace JB Weld, any grey epoxy should be fine. Spacer and ball end sourced from ebay, stainless so polish can be final step, 3/4" is length you want. Grease all moving parts going back together. Dremel, file, and sandpaper are only tools used.

Spacer: https://www.ebay.com/itm/323793764670
Ball end: https://www.ebay.com/itm/382838488154

1) reference Boomba instructions/video to remove lever from assy.
2) grind ball end on lever to approx. 1/4" diameter and cut to length, light press fit where you have to tap it together optimum but not critical as grey epoxy will act as liquid shim.
3) grind threaded end of new ball end to approx. 1/4" diameter and cut to length. Again light press fit optimum.
4) lightly abrade ID of spacer, solvent clean and bond new ball end to spacer. Let cure 24 hours.
5) grind, sand, polish base of new ball end to match OD of spacer. Tape ball to prevent damage.
6) abrade, solvent clean and bond spacer to lever. Zip tie to lever if needed to prevent movement during cure.
7) reinstall and enjoy your new shorter travel.

xxiaze

This is dope man, thanks for pioneering this DIY mod. Waiting on what a friend thinks about his that he just purchased from you, and will give it a go… I appreciate the craft and its explanation, for sure.