Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

DV+ compressor surge

Hey guys, my DV+ is having issues with flutter and compressor surge. I was wondering what people did to rectify the situation, I've read that greasing the piston can cause it to stick but I'm not sure.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
They need to be oiled every so often from what I remember or they won't operate properly. There is a video on it somewhere...

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I use 5w-20 engine oil on mine. No issues yet after doing that every 10k miles or so.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Do you have a catch can? The dv+ is *supposed* to get lubrications from blow by but in my experience you have to lube it occasionally. The fist dv is hard enough to get to that I went with a turbo smart em vr2 instead - same perks as the dv+ but no oiling ever.

OP
C
Thread Starter #5
I bought it used off of a fella on here, he sold it because of the oiling and access issues and now that I've had to install this thing three times I completely understand why he got rid of it. It's in a terrible spot and is super fiddly. He used with lithium grease on the plunger, springs, and brass body. I'm gonna try to remove all the white grease and try motor oil and see if that prevents the fluttering. What about oiling the plunger? People online say not to do it as it can cause fluttering.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I bought it used off of a fella on here, he sold it because of the oiling and access issues and now that I've had to install this thing three times I completely understand why he got rid of it. It's in a terrible spot and is super fiddly. He used with lithium grease on the plunger, springs, and brass body. I'm gonna try to remove all the white grease and try motor oil and see if that prevents the fluttering. What about oiling the plunger? People online say not to do it as it can cause fluttering.

The white lithium grease was likely too thick. I would get that grease out and put motor oil on the brass piston. Make sure the plunger still moves OK. It shouldn't need much lubrication as I believe it has a large clearance fit. When you take the DV+ apart, check for scoring on the brass piston.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
The white lithium grease was likely too thick. I would get that grease out and put motor oil on the brass piston. Make sure the plunger still moves OK. It shouldn't need much lubrication as I believe it has a large clearance fit. When you take the DV+ apart, check for scoring on the brass piston.
yeah the lithium is going to gunk it up, clean it with a silicone safe solvent then lube with motor oil. It doesn’t take much. Also maybe look up gfb’s “how to spot a fake” document to make sure yours is real.

OP
C
Thread Starter #8
Thanks guys, I think you're right about the grease being the problem. He said he compared to the video when he bought it and it was legit, I've had a look as well and it seems to be genuine.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thanks guys, I think you're right about the grease being the problem. He said he compared to the video when he bought it and it was legit, I've had a look as well and it seems to be genuine.

The piston should fit so snugly that when you let it go and "drop it" into the body of the DV, it should hiss slowly and sink slowly down. Most of the crappy knockoff ones fall straight in or bind on the way.

Personally I will never purchase another used DV on this forum again, I got scammed by another member on here by the name of Blackbird. People can easily take another picture from Google and Photoshop in a piece of paper with their forum name. It happened to me, took me almost 6 months to figure it all out. Just my 2 ¢. He was also a well known member on here earlier during it's infancy.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

DangerMouse

I use Lucas assembly lube. It was recommended when I had a cobb bpv on my mazdaspeed3 years ago. I used it on the gfb and it's been about 20,000 miles now, no issues. It is on my list of things to do this spring but for now its working just fine.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I use a very thin film of moly grease. I don’t think it has caused any problems but I’ll swap to oil next time.

OP
C
Thread Starter #14
So I took it apart, again, removed all the white lithium and applied motor oil. The plunger slides down slowly with a nice sshshh sound. Reinstalled and there is no surge at full boost, but on part throttle or under let's say 10 psi there sounds to be a bit of surge still there. When lifting off throttle it's kind of like PSHHHHtsutsutsu. How much flutter is normal on these? Buying a used one is such a crapshoot, I think its genuine and it looks to be well used but I'm not certain about the sound. It sounds like its improved but the surge isn't gone 100 percent. For example the stock BPV has zero flutter whatsoever. Thanks for the help fellas.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
So I took it apart, again, removed all the white lithium and applied motor oil. The plunger slides down slowly with a nice sshshh sound. Reinstalled and there is no surge at full boost, but on part throttle or under let's say 10 psi there sounds to be a bit of surge still there. When lifting off throttle it's kind of like PSHHHHtsutsutsu. How much flutter is normal on these? Buying a used one is such a crapshoot, I think its genuine and it looks to be well used but I'm not certain about the sound. It sounds like its improved but the surge isn't gone 100 percent. For example the stock BPV has zero flutter whatsoever. Thanks for the help fellas.

Is the helper spring installed? If so, some flutter is normal. And part throttle flutter is not to be concerned about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Some flutter especially on very light throttle is normal.
I have a turbosmart em bov.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
C
Thread Starter #17
ill take a video and post it on here tonight. The brass piston had scoring on it , nothing too deep but noticeable.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
the chrotling sound isn't abnormal, mine does it even stock. much more noticeable with a different DV installed though.