Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Engine Oil, Coolant, Fluid Specifications

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
If it was my car I would run 5W30 in both cars. You live in a very hot area very hot. That's just me though. 0W30 would be ok to.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Jerickson88

If it was my car I would run 5W30 in both cars. You live in a very hot area very hot. That's just me though. 0W30 would be ok to.

For whatever reason, im.more worried about what her car needs, I'm scared shitless to put something different in it.

I need to pull both manuals and see what they spec for alternates, and cross accordingly.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
For whatever reason, im.more worried about what her car needs, I'm scared shitless to put something different in it.

I need to pull both manuals and see what they spec for alternates, and cross accordingly.
I get it. My Wife's Mazda 3 0W20. In Mexico 5W30.

Jerickson88

Oh for christ sake....they did it here for the CAFE standards and bark eaters to eeek out an extra .5 to the gallon.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
I looked in both manuals to verify that there are no alternates. Verified. Weird, older vehicles used to do that.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
5w30 is a schosh thicker.... now if you were running a 5w50 which is really heard to find there could be problems down the line. This is just like oil filter....some prefer to run the Bigger one and others stick with the stock size as per Ford. You could run either and I've never seen a warranty get voided when working at Chrysler due to a 5w30 used in a 5w20 engine. They used to run 5w30 and 10w30 in some of there vehicles. Then a TSB came out and they said pretty much all there vehicles with the exception of 3.5L and 4.0L engines could now run 5w20. Even the older ones before 5w20 became the dominant oil.

Jerickson88

5w30 is a schosh thicker.... now if you were running a 5w50 which is really heard to find there could be problems down the line. This is just like oil filter....some prefer to run the Bigger one and others stick with the stock size as per Ford. You could run either and I've never seen a warranty get voided when working at Chrysler due to a 5w30 used in a 5w20 engine. They used to run 5w30 and 10w30 in some of there vehicles. Then a TSB came out and they said pretty much all there vehicles with the exception of 3.5L and 4.0L engines could now run 5w20. Even the older ones before 5w20 became the dominant oil.

So, 0w20 is good then.

I'd like to stick to a common ground between the two if that makes sense. The 0w will have less resistance on start up, correct?

Jerickson88

I roll 0w20 in my FiST...if it's any consolation to you. All year round....been doing Castrol Magnatec 0w20 Syn.

Thank you sir!

Her car and mine will get the same oil change (manufacture specific filters)

She will get Motul CVTF (substitute for Honda HCF-2) and probably the other pint of ATE TYP 200, because I have it and her car has never had a fluid exchange and has 42k miles and 3 years old.

Todayā€™s oil has better wear resistance at lower viscosities. Use the lowest second number that works. With tighter tolerances, too thick an oil might not get where it needs to go and also hangs on everything too long and robs performance. If I open up the engine again I will put oil resistant coatings on the crankshaft and other moving parts that donā€™t require oil.

I got my transmission fluid changed today, I switched to ravenol 2L. The tech said it's still about an inch from the overflow point. They also said they usually fill until it just hits that point.

Any reason I'd need more fluid? 2L seems like the agreed upon fill by this forum.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
According to some.....and Ford Techs who actually do their Jobs and keep up with their products know that Ford figured out they were under filling the Trans causing bearing failure and premature Transmission failure. So after I had My transmission replaced for bearing failure was told and did put 2L in next time around . Which was immediately when I got home to Ravenol!

I roll 0w20 in my FiST...if it's any consolation to you. All year round....been doing Castrol Magnatec 0w20 Syn.

Good consolation for me! I work at a subie dealer and have endless 0w20 on tap and have been considering making the switch since I live where it gets cold in the winter, and it's free so that's a plus too haha.