Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Searched and read about 70 pages, but seems I'm the only one with this issue.
About 1,000 miles ago I installed the COBB CBE. I chose it based on exterior sound videos and the fact that everyone seems to agree it's drone free. When I'm cruising at 75-80 during my daily commute at light throttle, I'm getting an annoying drone that is borderline too much for me. It's enough resonance to spin inner ear fluid. I looked under the car today and everything is free of the chassis and all the flanges are aligned.
I did install the poly hangers as I read a lot of people were having movement issues with the stock ones.
Could the polyurethane be transmitting too much resonance into the chassis?
Do I just need to give it some time to break-in and quiet down?

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Mine has no drone at all during cruising but I highly recommend the the cobb hangers. Way too much movement from those shitty hangers.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I did install the poly hangers as I read a lot of people were having movement issues with the stock ones.
Could the polyurethane be transmitting too much resonance into the chassis?
Do I just need to give it some time to break-in and quiet down?
I too noticed the poly bushing increased resonance, but it doesn't both me. There's movement with all of the hangers from stock to Cobb, I've used them all. My issue was the tips shifting and not being on-center through the rear valance after aggressive turns in the canyons. It bugged me until I locked down the shifting with these set screw collars. Works awesome. Paired with Cobb hangers in the photo.

C. love

Just put on a T409 MBRP yesterday. Sounds good, not too loud, and adds some power on the butt dyno. At around 3,400 rpm there is a terrible drone in 4th gear so the fix was don't drive at that rpm in 4th lol. I also installed this in 42 minutes on my garage floor on jack stands start to finish, so pretty easy install. Also happy new hangar bushings were included.

The exhaust had me wanting more so I decided a down pipe needed to be ordered which happened right after I woke up ha.

..... My issue was the tips shifting and not being on-center through the rear valance after aggressive turns in the canyons. It bugged me until I locked down the shifting with these set screw collars.....

Where do I find those amazing collars??
I also put some CLD tiles on the floor of the hatch where there were some resonance hot spots. Sealed up the hatch with CLD and Ensolite as well. It wasn't a drastic improvement, but it dropped it down to where cruising at 80-85 is actually bearable now.

haste

1000 Post Club
I did a resonator delete and wished I had saved the $45 afterwards. It was OK but not worth the extra noise in the cabin. Plus, the guy who worked on it put a slightly longer pipe than what he cut out and my exhaust started
banging at the rear of the car when going over bumps. Exhaust hangers didn't even fix that...

haste

1000 Post Club
Made a video of CP-E catback exhaust with stock downpipe. Enjoy!

[video=youtube;SnWr5fw0spc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnWr5fw0spc[/video]

Look at the description on youtube for different points in the video.

When I received the exhaust, the package only included the single tip. All their exhausts now come with the dual tip for no extra cost. I call them and the lady told me they must have missed my box when adding the dual tips. No biggie, they sent me the dual tip without any hassle. I got to try the single tip for about a week. I wasn't a fan of the look, it is waaaay to big. If it was a .5" smaller in diameter it might be ok. It also stuck out from the end of the bumper too much for my tastes. At least it wasn't chrome. [hah]

The dual tip looks MUCH better, imo. Although, I do wish it stuck out a hair further.
The tips are easy to change out. It took me less than 10 minutes. I may adjust it again and move it up and closer to the bumper.

Here are some pictures of both tips on the car if anyone is interested.

I had the ATP Turbo catless dp installed this past weekend and it is now paired to de-res'd and de-muff'd stock catback exhaust. At startup and idle I think it sounds amazing. Even up to around 3k RPM it sounds good. However, under moderate to heavy acceleration it gets to a point where the volume is sooo loud it almost sounds as if its rubbing or rattling something underneath the car. It goes from say a 6 on the loud scale to an immediate 10 at around 5k RPMS. This happens in any gear.

My question: anyone familiar with this sound and is there a better chance it's the exhaust rubbing/rattling, the fact that it's just that loud or is it something with the ATP downpipe? Thoughts?

I'm considering going to a MBRP exhaust but am concerned that whatever this obnoxiously loud sound is will remain.

I'll take a audio clip of it at some point this coming weekend but I'm looking for opinions for now...

Thanks in advance.

haste

1000 Post Club
That's really nice sounding!
Thanks, even the wife enjoys it. I'm installing the CP-E catless downpipe this Thursday evening if all goes well. I plan on posting another vid with that setup and I will try and do the same run.

Siestarider

I modified my MBPR 3" ss exhaust by adding a Vibrant resonator in the OEM muffler location. Sounded great, but still droned badly at 3500 rpm. Then I replaced the MBRP resonator with the Vibrant, and added a 3" straight through Vibrant muffler. Quieter, but the drone became worse. So bad I could not stand it.

Lots of research suggested I calculate the offending wavelength and add a resonation damper pipe. But I also found reference to "mass arm" dampeners.

Found a Mercury Marquis OEM resonation damper in the trash barrel at Dan's Performance Muffler. Used a 3" pipe clamp to hang it off 3" exhaust pipe just before and above Vibrant muffler. Dan guessed it would not work. But it did.

System is loud on throttle, and 3500 rpm is still a bit drony, but the improvement is very substantial. Enough to save the system and my sanity.

I was planning to move it around to various places on the exhaust, but the first place I tried worked so well I am leaving it there for now. Hate adding weight, but this couple pounds is worth it.

No, I did not shoot pics, because I did not really expect results worth reporting. And I hung it up where its near impossible to get a picture of.

So for those who love their exhaust but hate drone, there is a quick and easy option to dampen it.

haste

1000 Post Club
The wife just let me order the Pumaspeed tubular quick spool manifold. I have to take the manifold/turbo/downpipe all off to get the catless pipe installed, so why not!?! I can't wait.

Wrapped the downpipe in anticipation of the manifold. I also plan on wrapping the new manifold to help protect other components in the engine bay. Plus hotter exhaust gases will help that turbo spool quicker. [thumb]

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club

This one was $16 shipped, lol. Its better than nothing and I refuse to believe that a different one will do a $150-better-job. Its def $16-better-than-nothing.
Lol

haste

1000 Post Club
I found quite a few universal blankets on ebay, but I'm not sure what size I should be ordering to get close to the FiST stock turbo size. What size did you go with, Sourskittle?