Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

cxwrench

The law is not new its been on th books for several years, what is different is its no longer a fix it ticket. Its a court appearance and possible fine, You can still take your exhausr to a BAR ref and get it tested and take the cert back to the court to get the charges dismissed.

Aftermarket exhausts are not ilegal here and Thermal is a California company so they are well aware of the 95db limit. P.S. 95db is pretty damn loud lol.
I run a Thermal and there is no way its 95db.
This is what I was thinking. I can always get in touch w/ Thermal but I'm betting you're spot on w/ the 95db thing. Thanks for the reply!

Anyone have experience with the Remus Axle-back? Just found that I have a hole forming on the front side of my stock muffler which gives me a good excuse to replace the exhaust. My resonator is already deleted so I was interested in a muffler replacement and remus appears to be the only company with an Axle-back. Would appreciate feedback.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
My question with that testing is which one is stock exhaust which one is modified? Also one was done in 3rd gear one in 4th gear that can make a difference for sure. I know exhaust isnt going to do alot but a catless DP is def going to add power and help spool time with a hybrid turbo. One was doing significantly more torque I assume that was the modded exhaust? It had more power and torque low and more up high too without much change in the middle. It's hard to tell just how much it did with them being done in diff gears a 4th gear pull will usually show higher numbers than a 3rd gear pull all things equal because its closest to 1:1
Fists drone around 106hz, that’s where they attenuate to the chassis of the car and you get that washed out booming effect that makes you yawn. Video clips are no good because the frequency range of the mics on phones aren’t very accurate in that range. You’d have to watch a spectrum analyzer to get a good idea of the difference.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
This is what I was thinking. I can always get in touch w/ Thermal but I'm betting you're spot on w/ the 95db thing. Thanks for the reply!

I believe a 737 cruising is 95-97 decibels at something like 800 meters. A small engine like a lawnmower doing work is somewhere around 94 decibels.

What concerns me more is now it’s a rapid revenue generator instead of a fix-it ticket. Does anyone know if exhaust is a primary offense or a secondary one?

cxwrench

I believe a 737 cruising is 95-97 decibels at something like 800 meters. A small engine like a lawnmower doing work is somewhere around 94 decibels.

What concerns me more is now it’s a rapid revenue generator instead of a fix-it ticket. Does anyone know if exhaust is a primary offense or a secondary one?
From the video that I watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuFGefw_1s4 it can be either. Towards the end the guy has printed out a bunch of fine schedules that start at $25.00. It goes up each successive offense as well.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
My question with that testing is which one is stock exhaust which one is modified? Also one was done in 3rd gear one in 4th gear that can make a difference for sure. I know exhaust isnt going to do alot but a catless DP is def going to add power and help spool time with a hybrid turbo. One was doing significantly more torque I assume that was the modded exhaust? It had more power and torque low and more up high too without much change in the middle. It's hard to tell just how much it did with them being done in diff gears a 4th gear pull will usually show higher numbers than a 3rd gear pull all things equal because its closest to 1:1
Both are with stock exhaust, 2 different runs, only difference is gears... and yes, 4th gear is always more accurate for us and that IS just vDyno, so who knows, but the higher torque figure is in 4th gear, interesting! I know I'm going with high flow catted DP when I go hybrid, just not worried about the rest of the stock exhaust really.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Got my Magnaflow exhaust installed today. Its OK I guess, a few headaches: It drones REALLY bad, the tips are too big IMO and the exhaust shop guy could not get the tips perfectly leveled. Might need to add a resonator and change the tips out and be done with it.

Kind of wish I had just bitten the bullet and gone with the resonated milltek

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Post a pic of the tips.

Try to upload a video onto youtube. I was considering running a Magnaflow muffler on my catback to replace the cannister, but now im interested in that drone issue...

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Post a pic of the tips.

Try to upload a video onto youtube. I was considering running a Magnaflow muffler on my catback to replace the cannister, but now im interested in that drone issue...
Since exhaust makes zero power on our cars, its just for sound, maaaybe a touch faster spool with highflow/catless DP's, but not worth all the cost and running dirtier to me. So all I did was replace the big, heavy rear canister muffler with a MagnaFlow glasspack and it sounds nice and deep with some natural pops and gurgles without a special tune. Cost me $30 for the glasspack, $20 for a cheapie DC Sports tip and $100 labor. Video link below the pic. Phone mic doesn't pick up just how deep it really is that hides the small engine sound.

IMG_20190212_110311.jpg

Video:
[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_X1qT1MPwYhL6yyLcdlLqMXiK_tVDdN4/view[/video]

CSM

1000 Post Club
Since exhaust makes zero power on our cars, its just for sound, maaaybe a touch faster spool with highflow/catless DP's, but not worth all the cost and running dirtier to me. So all I did was replace the big, heavy rear canister muffler with a MagnaFlow glasspack and it sounds nice and deep with some natural pops and gurgles without a special tune. Cost me $30 for the glasspack, $20 for a cheapie DC Sports tip and $100 labor. Video link below the pic. Phone mic doesn't pick up just how deep it really is that hides the small engine sound.

View attachment 20326

Video:
[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_X1qT1MPwYhL6yyLcdlLqMXiK_tVDdN4/view[/video]
Part of me kind of wishes I had left the exhaust alone. Or at least modded it like you did yours. Oh well...bonus money burning a hole in my pocket [hihi][hihi]

FWIW I was able to get the tips leveled...just jacked up the rear, loosened slip joint and rotate rear section as hard as I could. But I still am not a fan of 1) the looks (3.5" tips are far too big IMO) and the sound. Its too boomy/bassy and too droney...not full terrible drone under light throttle but WOT it is not my cup of tea.

That being said I went ahead and ordered a thermal exhaust kit from Ron@Whoosh. chatted with someone on reddit who had same issues as me and he went thermal and loves it. They seem to engineer as much drone out of the systems as possible. and I like the subtle 2.5" tips.

So if anyone wants a magnaflow exhaust with super low miles and dirt cheap, PM me

Jerickson88

I wish someone made a 3" mandrel bent tubing kit, and I could pick my muffler. TruBendz did this for the focus community years ago. Dunno, may just get pieces from Stainlessworks and have a shop make it on the car.

I'm looking to update the exhaust on my car (shocking I know). I think I'm trying to choose between the flowmaster, mbrp, and map exhausts. Trying to stay around $600 in price. Anyone have any thoughts on which I should choose? I like a deeper throaty sounding exhaust and sometimes it's hard to really get a feel for the exhaust on YouTube. I live in Wisconsin, the car is not my daily but I do keep it parked outside. Any and all advice and insight would be greatly appreciated!

I'm looking to update the exhaust on my car (shocking I know). I think I'm trying to choose between the flowmaster, mbrp, and map exhausts. Trying to stay around $600 in price. Anyone have any thoughts on which I should choose? I like a deeper throaty sounding exhaust and sometimes it's hard to really get a feel for the exhaust on YouTube. I live in Wisconsin, the car is not my daily but I do keep it parked outside. Any and all advice and insight would be greatly appreciated!
For no drone and great sound look into the Thermal cbe. Someone once said, cry once buy once.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
For no drone and great sound look into the Thermal cbe. Someone once said, cry once buy once.
I will second this statement.....I got mine here...second hand...lightly used...for a great price. You just have to be a hawk and ready to pounce if one comes up used.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Just buy a Thermal new you could spend months waiting for someone to pop with one for sale. You can get them for around $700 thats $100 more than budget. I.E. its not gonna break the bank don’t be cheap and wind up buying twice! Once and done!

I don’t like drone or loud terrible sounding exhausts. I told Ron what I was looking for and he recommended Thermal. It’s all about the Helmholtz chamber and how it is tuned to cancel unwanted frequencies. Not all exhaust systems are fine tuned like Thermal’s