Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
If you do, let us know how you like them.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
The ones I have now won’t need replaced until next summer, but I’ll definitely give my thoughts on them. Right now I’m looking for 15” wheels and slicks on the cheap :)

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Cool. I got my wheels used on Craigslist when I was shopping for some cheap ones to try out. The steelies were also about 200 a set (last I checked) on TireRack and make for a decent winter wheel if aesthetics and weight aren't as big a factor for you. Can maybe get used steelies even cheaper but if I were going for that I wouldn't bother going used unless some just "fell in my lap".
The ones I have now won’t need replaced until next summer, but I’ll definitely give my thoughts on them. Right now I’m looking for 15” wheels and slicks on the cheap :)

felopr

Why 45 profile vs 40? I assume at 45 there will not be any rubbing. Will the speedo be off?
I use 205/45/17 and while everyone is diferent, i used them because :
The added sidewall can give you a better ride quality (less harsh) in exchange of turn in feel, i daily my car so i like better ride quality
The added sidewall gives better rim protection against potholes
Using 45 profile gives you a look like your car is lowered on stock height, bonus
The speedo difference is negligible, is like 1 mph or lower

Felopr,

Thanks for the help. I’ll order these. Just to confirm 100%; there will be rubbing at all on the stock rim and suspension205/45/17?

215/45/17 is a no go 100%

Thanks forum elite

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Felopr,

Thanks for the help. I’ll order these. Just to confirm 100%; there will be rubbing at all on the stock rim and suspension205/45/17?

215/45/17 is a no go 100%

Thanks forum elite
For me, 205 rubbed only on one particular ramp transitioning from one freeway to another. There was a slight dip that was barely noticeable just before you hit it that at (slightly faster than) freeway speeds it would rub a bit. Otherwise no problems and I commute over some fairly rough roads.

Last edited:
I wish these tires were not backordered for 2-3 months as per Tire Rack as of this posting. Buying the BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2s again is something I'd rather not do given how quickly they become louder as their mileage increases.

I use 205/45/17 and while everyone is diferent, i used them because :
The added sidewall can give you a better ride quality (less harsh) in exchange of turn in feel, i daily my car so i like better ride quality
The added sidewall gives better rim protection against potholes
Using 45 profile gives you a look like your car is lowered on stock height, bonus
The speedo difference is negligible, is like 1 mph or lower
Not to mention, they're in stock and not on back order :)

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I wish these tires were not backordered for 2-3 months as per Tire Rack as of this posting. Buying the BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2s again is something I'd rather not do given how quickly they become louder as their mileage increases.
You could try a Firestone Auto Repair Shop if one is near you. Tell them the Tire Rack price and they'll beat it. Should have quicker shipping costs as well since they can get their tires direct from the factory as needed. Might even have them in stock.

AzNightmare

TBH, I'm actually really surprised at all the sensitivity in road noise in this thread.
I'm currently using the BFG Sport Comp2 and I don't hear anything. Maybe cause I'm always in the city so I'm not on one constant speed?

I would think road noise is the last thing I notice, cause my COBB exhaust is what I hear, plus my music. And the COBB cbe is one of the quietest ones in the market.

Dunno... road noise has never bothered me, so not sure what I'm missing out on. Maybe I'm getting deaf and old. lol

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
HA! I AM actually old and deaf, and I can STILL hear the (Federal) RS-RRs SCREAMING at me at any speeds over 30 MPH, or on the highway. :(

HBEcoBeaST

TBH, I'm actually really surprised at all the sensitivity in road noise in this thread.
I'm currently using the BFG Sport Comp2 and I don't hear anything. Maybe cause I'm always in the city so I'm not on one constant speed?

I would think road noise is the last thing I notice, cause my COBB exhaust is what I hear, plus my music. And the COBB cbe is one of the quietest ones in the market.

Dunno... road noise has never bothered me, so not sure what I'm missing out on. Maybe I'm getting deaf and old. lol
Sport comp 2s are considered daily drivers and are VERY quiet compared to any 200 treadwear tire.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Still, the Indy 500s are quieter than the sport comp 2s. If you have a fairly loud exhaust note you may not notice it so much.

I don't have any aftermarket upgrades to my exhaust so the tires tend to make the biggest difference on road noise at highway speed. Being a daily driver and spending most of my time on the freeway, this really matters to me. Having said that I still think I'd prefer Indy 500s over Sport Comp 2s even if noise wasn't a factor. They seem to have a smoother ride and arguably better grip.

Still, the Indy 500s are quieter than the sport comp 2s. If you have a fairly loud exhaust note you may not notice it so much.

I don't have any aftermarket upgrades to my exhaust so the tires tend to make the biggest difference on road noise at highway speed. Being a daily driver and spending most of my time on the freeway, this really matters to me. Having said that I still think I'd prefer Indy 500s over Sport Comp 2s even if noise wasn't a factor. They seem to have a smoother ride and arguably better grip.

Was steering response the same between the two?

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Was steering response the same between the two?
Handling wise, they are fairly close but the Indy 500s sacrifice feedback for a quieter, smoother ride. So basically, while they have good grip and do fine in the turns, you just don't get as much of a feel of what is going on while in the turn which makes it harder to tell if/when they will start slipping...initially. But, after driving with them for awhile, you do get used to it and eventually begin to adjust to it.

Ultimately, it probably just comes down to how important that extra feedback is to you and how the better road manners of the Indys compare based on your personal preferences. Price may also be a factor.

I have had these tires on for 4k miles. They have had great grip through the summer / fall. Now starting the colder season here in South Carolina and still having good grip. Also must add that they still handle great in the rain and it has been a downpour as of late.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I cannot comment on their; ride, ultimate grip, handling, turn-in response, etc.

But, I will comment on their toughness/durability, since there was a FoST owner (a former U.S. nationally ranked rally pilot himself) at last July's NEFR who had these mounted on the factory FoST wheels in a factory FoST size (40 series sidewalls!! [crazyeye]), and took them out onto the stage roads, with very sharp rocks, embedded boulders in the forest road surfaces, and really bad ruts and washouts, with NO resultant; flats, sidewall bubbles, or any other problems.

He did NOT 'take it easy' when traversing these logging roads either!

I thought that he was crazy for even attempting this, but he knew better. [wink]