Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My 21-y/o daughter wants to get an old car and rebuild it. Suggestions?

Perry

First thing to know: She knows where the oil goes in, and how to check it. And how to add wiper fluid. And that duct tape fixes dang near anything. And she has very little money. But she'd like to get and work on a "muscle car", very loosely speaking, with her old man. My skills are moderate-to-good, but I'm not Mr. Goodwrench. I'm usually somewhere close to Mr. Good-enough-for-now-hopefully-it'll-do-you-till-you-get-to-the-shop-wrench.

So, the question is, any suggestions for an older car to look for that I can rebuild with her? As long as it's not a Chevette, a Vega, a Pacer, or--well, you get the idea--I'm open to lots of things.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
A Fox Mustang.

Cheap, easy to work on, easy to fall in love with for a kid, tons of aftermarket support.

should that be not "musclecar" enough, anything Chevy 350 powered is a good idea because you'll be able to DO everything yourself, except maybe carburetors- I dunno how familiar you are with that black magic called carburetion but I just can't deal with it. That, and Points Ignition.

Why not consider a Chevy Monza or related variant, or a X-body (that isn't a Nova).

Alternately, why not a Gran Torino?

Buick Grand National. I only say that because I want one...

Don't rule out old 50's and 60's model pickups.. A lot of those can be made into some super sweet looking hot rods!

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Something to consider:

Any 1969-79 Datsun/Nissan 240Z, 260Z, 280Z or 280ZX. Ditch the I6 under the hood (or wrench on it if you like, parts are available for it, and it's nice and simple to work on) and drop in a Chevy 350 or Ford 302. Musclecar power in a cute little body that everyone loves. More unique and certainly prettier to look at than a Duster or something, and you won't be looked at weird if you show up at a classic car show with it.

Full disclosure: As a result of putting together all of Classic Industries' catalogs for two years I've got something of an encyclopedic knowledge of all 1967-2013 F-body, 62-96 B-Body, 48-13 Chevy/GMC Trucks, 62-79 X-body and all 1960-76 Mopar A, B and E-Body.
Any car that falls under those umbrellas will be fairly well covered for parts between CI and YearOne
Alternately there's also California Mustang if you go that way

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Both early 90's Camaros and Mustangs would be my suggestion.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Older Firdbird would be cool or a chevy Nova by old I mean mid 70's or any older chevelle or buick gsx of that vintage. If you can find a solid on a older Tbird turbo coupe would be fun. As well as a Maverick with a V8 or Torino GT

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #11
An old air-cooled VW Bug is a good car for a beginner to learn on, but it's hardly a muscle car.
No, but it's got the sort of style that girls have always liked. Could work!

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #12
A Fox Mustang.

Cheap, easy to work on, easy to fall in love with for a kid, tons of aftermarket support.

should that be not "musclecar" enough, anything Chevy 350 powered is a good idea because you'll be able to DO everything yourself, except maybe carburetors- I dunno how familiar you are with that black magic called carburetion but I just can't deal with it. That, and Points Ignition.

Why not consider a Chevy Monza or related variant, or a X-body (that isn't a Nova).

Alternately, why not a Gran Torino?
First got engine oil on my hands working on a Chevy 350. That has a certain attraction . . . .

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #13
Buick Grand National. I only say that because I want one...

Don't rule out old 50's and 60's model pickups.. A lot of those can be made into some super sweet looking hot rods!
I like the idea, but I'm not sure of her reaction to a pickup. We'll see.

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #14
I would recommend against any mustang newer than 93.
Certainly not doing a '93+ 'stang. Maybe an earlier one, but more likely a Camaro as we work back through the years until the early 70s or so.

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #15
Older Firdbird would be cool or a chevy Nova by old I mean mid 70's or any older chevelle or buick gsx of that vintage. If you can find a solid on a older Tbird turbo coupe would be fun. As well as a Maverick with a V8 or Torino GT
I like the early-mid-70s Nova idea--familiar with that car already. I love the Chevelle idea. I think I might be able to persuade her the Chevelle is the thing to do.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I like the early-mid-70s Nova idea--familiar with that car already. I love the Chevelle idea. I think I might be able to persuade her the Chevelle is the thing to do.
I kinda wish I still had my 69 shovel engine was junk but the body was solid ... 250 six with a power glide... we were always gonna drop a big block in it .. never did.. Bought a stupid Camaro instead lol

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #17
I kinda wish I still had my 69 shovel engine was junk but the body was solid ... 250 six with a power glide... we were always gonna drop a big block in it .. never did.. Bought a stupid Camaro instead lol
Wish you still had that body--it'd be great! And we could slip a V8 in there I'm sure. Paint it candy-apple red. I'm not sure I'd let her drive it! lol!

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Wish you still had that body--it'd be great! And we could slip a V8 in there I'm sure. Paint it candy-apple red. I'm not sure I'd let her drive it! lol!
Yeah they had a look to them when painted that color ...

You should ask her to pick one out that she likes. How about a 1970 C10 with a 350 in it. My brother is selling one right now. Needs a flywheel. Offer is on the table.