Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Gas meter isn't reading correctly?

I have a 2015 Ford Fiesta, (it's the SE, not ST, hope that doesn't make much of a difference), and my gas meter is not reading correctly.

When I first got my car, I could fill it up and the miles would read over 400, now it barely says 300. Filling it up to half a tank also says less than 200. What could this mean? It's quite annoying, I feel like I'm not getting enough for what I pay for in gas. [confused]

The "Distance Until Empty" function on the trip computer uses the average MPG of the last x-number of fill ups to estimate how far until empty, and then will adjust accordingly after you start driving and you get an average MPG for the current tank.

Example, say I drive only around town for a month, or 4 tanks of gas, and get 25mpg. When I fill up that 5th time, it will likely read somewhere around 300 miles until empty (12 gallon tank). If I do pure highway that tank and get 33mpg, when I fill up next time it ill be slightly higher, probably around 330 miles until empty.

me32

1000 Post Club
Its based on how you drive your car. You should manually set your trip monitor everytime you fill up. Then do the math to see how many mpg your getting.

Its based on how you drive your car. You should manually set your trip monitor everytime you fill up. Then do the math to see how many mpg your getting.
I see so many people who don't reset the stuff that can be (average MPG/Speed and tank mileage). It's not a huge deal, but I always have, and always have calculated my own mileage myself. The trip computer's estimate for MPG is always high, most times by about 1-1.5 mpg, sometimes as much as 3mpg.

me32

1000 Post Club
I see so many people who don't reset the stuff that can be (average MPG/Speed and tank mileage). It's not a huge deal, but I always have, and always have calculated my own mileage myself. The trip computer's estimate for MPG is always high, most times by about 1-1.5 mpg, sometimes as much as 3mpg.
Its just an estimate none of them are 100%.