Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Gear noise?

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
Yes. More pronounced at low load but in gear. Zero load is no noise. Mine is loud enough that I can hear it over radio. The sound seems like it's coming out of the floor by my feet or behind the dash down low... exactly where the transmission is.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23
Finally got an appointment at the service department of the dealer this morning and had a tech ride with me.

As soon as I got into 3rd gear he could hear it and I also made sure he could see that it was present and louder in 4th-6th.

He said, "well, that was easy" meaning it was a super short test drive as he could hear it straight away. He described it as being a "ring and pinion" issue.

I'm now scheduled to go back on 6/30 to leave my car with them for fixing/replacement.

This is interesting because I too hear an odd noise but mine seems to make noise at lower speeds and in 1st/2nd gear. The sound is less of a whine and more of a groaning noise. I've only got about 1200 miles on mine now and have been monitoring it to see if it gets worse. Other than the noise it shifts fine so I'll be watching to see if any others have the same noise.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #26
I will press them for a detailed description of the issue and the fix as well as photos of the affected parts. How far I will get with that remains to be seen.

Etyrnus

I grenaded the trans on my cobalt (102k on the stock clutch, throwout bearing went). They let me come in and take pics, showed me the old clutch and trans. If they won't, generally that seems shady to me.

Btw, you could fit your fist (hand, not the car) thru the holes in the trans casing...I won't make that mistake again.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
It's likely that since this is a factory defect and is warranty work they'll be less enthusiastic about photos. I'll try though.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #29
An update for those following:

I dropped my car off for service on 6/30. They took four days just to replace the window tape that was destroyed when they detailed my car just prior to handing me the keys.

I received a call on July 7th that they couldn't reproduce the issue another tech said they heard. I returned the call and they apparently had notes like "shudders during acceleration" instead of "gear noise at slight acceleration while in gear; quiet while coasting". He understood and drove it again.

Got a call today (July 9th) that they wanted me to come get my car. They won't be able to actually pull the transmission out to check until Tuesday, July 15th and don't want my car sitting around that long.

Sigh...

I dropped my car off for service on 6/30. They took four days just to replace the window tape that was destroyed when they detailed my car just prior to handing me the keys.

I received a call on July 7th that they couldn't reproduce the issue another tech said they heard. I returned the call and they apparently had notes like "shudders during acceleration" instead of "gear noise at slight acceleration while in gear; quiet while coasting". He understood and drove it again.

Got a call today (July 9th) that they wanted me to come get my car. They won't be able to actually pull the transmission out to check until Tuesday, July 15th and don't want my car sitting around that long.

Sigh...
Thank you for the update, iso100. I'd like to escalate this to the regional customer service manager for your area. Please send me a private message with your full name, VIN, updated mileage, dealership information, and best daytime contact number.

I'll be on the lookout for your private message.

Brittany

Sigh...
Hi there!

I got your message and I'm working on it. :)

Meagan

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
Just got an update from the dealership. They are giving me a new transmission. The tech (this is secondhand as I wasn't talking to the tech directly) said that something was broken inside but didn't specify what broke.

I found that a bit odd since the noise was just getting progressively worse over time and didn't just happen all of the sudden after some kind of trauma.

I'm happy either way though, as I'm getting a brand new transmission installed. My car won't be ready until the end of next week but perhaps I'll get it back before my birthday (Friday).

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Just got an update from the dealership. They are giving me a new transmission. The tech (this is secondhand as I wasn't talking to the tech directly) said that something was broken inside but didn't specify what broke.

I found that a bit odd since the noise was just getting progressively worse over time and didn't just happen all of the sudden after some kind of trauma.

I'm happy either way though, as I'm getting a brand new transmission installed. My car won't be ready until the end of next week but perhaps I'll get it back before my birthday (Friday).
Well Happy Bday to you too Mine is this week .. Anyway it would be nice if we could find out what was failing a bearing or syncro ? but I doubt they know or would share and off it goes back to Ford to inspected ..

me32

1000 Post Club

that's good to hear. im glad your are getting a new transmission.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #38
Alright! The car was done early so I picked it up today.

No gear noise at all on the drive home and it shifted just fine. Was a bit odd not having that persistent whine.

For those of you wondering, I looked at the invoice that had the prices and a transmission is about $3600 with a $600 core charge. Yikes huh?

My ticket says:

2445 ROAD TESTED, VERIFIED CONCERN, WHINING NOISE ON TIP-IN, NOISE FOLLOWS TIRE SPEED, INTERNAL TO TRANSAXLE, FINAL DRIVE, DIFFERENTIAL, R&R TRANS TO INSTALL NEW TRANSAXLE, FILLED TRANS WITH FLUID, BLED CLUTCH HYDRAULIC SYSTEM, ROAD TESTED, VERIFIED REPAIR.

So, everything seems great so far. Wonder if I need to "break in" the transmission in any special way?

First I would like to thank this forum! If you are experiencing this issue with your transmission take it to you dealer NOW! I had this issue for 6 months thinking it would get better but after reading this thread I took my Fist to the dealer. Long story short.....I now have a new transmission. The bearings inside are bad and on national back order. If you have a issue take it in now and get a new transmission before the parts are available. Now its better than new!