Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Gear noise?

EDWING

Hi guys, I am from Mexico and I think have the same problem. I have two week with my fiesta st and I have heard this noise.

Can you tell me what is the diagnostic for this issue that ford gave??

Thank?s so much.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #42
The technician just rode with me in the car and could hear it.

Hello Guys,

First posting on here. Just bought (today) a silver 2015 fiesta st (19 miles new), and in 5th and 6th on the way home I got a loud whine from the transmission, seemed like under load and on throttle it progressed and got louder. what should I do, the car now has 144 miles on it from the drive back, i kept her under 3k rpm, no cruise control, no launching, no abrupt slipping, no hard braking, coasting slightly and power on power off break in, changing the oil tomorrow morning then at 500 then at 1500.

Any thoughts? and I'm glad to be a part of this ownership site. you guys all seem awesome and what a hell of a car this is, quite amazing to say the least.

Thanks,

Mike

Welcome! Do a little reading, there have been some complaints of a little gear noise. I have a little too but not enough to complain about. Loud is a relative term. I have to have the radio turned down all the way to hear it and even then I have had cars that were louder.

Hello Nate,

I had the radio on about half way, it sounded like a blender in a tile kitchen kind of loud (not like a blender but that unbearable, impossible to ignore loud). seemed to have gone away after about the 100 mile mark, only shows up in 5 and 6 (overdrive). Ive been reading it up on here and it looks like a few people have gotten transmissions replaced already, this car has 144 miles on it now and Im really shocked that this happened, should I maybe just wait it out ?

Hello Guys,

First posting on here. Just bought (today) a silver 2015 fiesta st (19 miles new), and in 5th and 6th on the way home I got a loud whine from the transmission, seemed like under load and on throttle it progressed and got louder. what should I do, the car now has 144 miles on it from the drive back, i kept her under 3k rpm, no cruise control, no launching, no abrupt slipping, no hard braking, coasting slightly and power on power off break in, changing the oil tomorrow morning then at 500 then at 1500.

Any thoughts? and I'm glad to be a part of this ownership site. you guys all seem awesome and what a hell of a car this is, quite amazing to say the least.

Thanks,

Mike
Welcome, Mike!

Your FiST has a 1,000 mile break-in period. Per your Owner Manual: Avoid heavy use of the brakes and clutch if possible for the first 100 miles (150 kilometers) in town and for the first 1000 miles (1500 kilometers) on freeways. Avoid driving too fast during the first 1000 miles (1500 kilometers). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine.

I recommend speaking with your dealer to see if this is within normal operating characteristics. I'll be happy to look into this further, as well. Please send me a private message with your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I really hope ford figures this out. Or this might end up being one of those cars I dump when warranty is up.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Well brought mine in today. Tech took mine for ride and he could clearly hear it. After took mine took another used fist had on lot and couldn't hear it. Sounds like they gonna rebuild the trans. Got a pos sonic loaner :(

Well brought mine in today. Tech took mine for ride and he could clearly hear it. After took mine took another used fist had on lot and couldn't hear it. Sounds like they gonna rebuild the trans. Got a pos sonic loaner :(
My offer still stands to look into this. :) Just PM me your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

Meagan,

Thank you for the offering, I have been breaking her in perfectly, varying the rpm. engine braking, I always slow far too early for lights so I'm never on the pads or clutch often. I drive it like I'm driving a prius truthfully. However, throughout the 80-150 mile range, the loud whining noise has completely dissipated, and I've heard nothing more of the noise as of today (653 miles). I figured it may be something seating in the transmission and will let it slide until further audibility can be determined.

I do appreciate your offering of aid, what a kind gesture that is indefinitely.

my factory exhaust piping, from the catalytic converter is very rusty already, is this normal? it appears to be a very low grade aluminum, I have been thinking about buying an aftermarket exhaust, I know that there are risks for "related parts" warranty nullification but I really wouldn't mind some more noise

thanks meagan

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #52
my factory exhaust piping, from the catalytic converter is very rusty already, is this normal? it appears to be a very low grade aluminum, I have been thinking about buying an aftermarket exhaust, I know that there are risks for "related parts" warranty nullification but I really wouldn't mind some more noise
I can assure you that it's not rusting. It's just changing color and getting darker. It's definitely stainless. I pulled my factory downpipe off at 7500 miles or so and there was zero rust. Yes, it was brown/gold but no rust. Same with the exhaust (but to a lesser degree) when I removed it at about 2000 miles.

Iso100,

Thank you for the peace of mind, I have been smelling a heavy scent of gas in my oil (now at about 677 miles), and have been light on the car, keeping revs low and just smooth daily commutes with light pulls. Is it normal to smell heavy fuel on the oil cap and dipstick? and my gas mileage seems a bit poor, filling up twice a week and only driving a few hundred or so miles

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #54
Iso100,

Thank you for the peace of mind, I have been smelling a heavy scent of gas in my oil (now at about 677 miles), and have been light on the car, keeping revs low and just smooth daily commutes with light pulls. Is it normal to smell heavy fuel on the oil cap and dipstick? and my gas mileage seems a bit poor, filling up twice a week and only driving a few hundred or so miles
While I'm no expert on break-in I believe that's normal for piston rings that are still seating. You're likely getting some blow-by and that fuel is getting into the oil. All the more reason to change it at 1k. You'll either need to fight the dealer tooth and nail or will need to change it yourself and they're adamant about not changing until the 7500 mile interval. I think that's fine for full synthetic oils after the break-in period but you might want to do that first change early.

rexdriver85

While I'm no expert on break-in I believe that's normal for piston rings that are still seating. You're likely getting some blow-by and that fuel is getting into the oil. All the more reason to change it at 1k. You'll either need to fight the dealer tooth and nail or will need to change it yourself and they're adamant about not changing until the 7500 mile interval. I think that's fine for full synthetic oils after the break-in period but you might want to do that first change early.
I agree about getting the oil out early, but my dealer experience was different. My first oil change was free, so I had them change it at 290 miles and they even took an oil sample for me with my provided kit. No questions asked, no odd comments. The tech said I must really care about the car and he was impressed, lol.

Every dealer experience will be different.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Iso100,

Definitely nothing to worry about. Not many people have had used-oil analysis' (UOA's) done, but those that have have confirmed that fuel dilution is not an issue with these engines. If you're only ever making short trips (which doesn't appear to be the case based on your mileages at posting) then you would want to take it out once a week and get everything up to operating temps for 15+ minutes or so, but outside of that there is no cause for concern.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #59
Here is a clip of my whine. Turn it up, road noise is loud on my phone, the whine is actually louder than the road noise in person. That's 3rd thru 6th gear.

https://youtu.be/AY0aK6NPFDE
That's EXACTLY the sound mine made before it was replaced under warranty by Ford. Now at 12k and SILENT.

That's EXACTLY the sound mine made before it was replaced under warranty by Ford. Now at 12k and SILENT.
It is so loud with the windows up on the highway it borderline gives me a headache. I put the windows down from time to time to drown out the noise. 70mph on a hill is obnoxious...

Do you have any documentation or anything explaining the issue, and the fix? I would love something to show my dealer... Mine has never seen the issue and is afraid to start tearing it down without anything to back it up. My advisor suggested a different dealer but to bring him the paperwork and share with him the issue.

Chances are itll be Sept. until I can have it looked at again. Ill be out of the country all summer.

Were you tuned then? I had it looked at when stock, and now I am tuned...