Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

GR Corolla Ownership vs Fiesta ST

CSM

1000 Post Club
Any current GRC owners care to comment any more on ride quality vs the FiST? Love my Fiesta but its a '14 with 145k miles so time is growing short. My only real complaint with it is a rough ride at times on VT roads, though its livable with Bilstein B6s at least. The GRC would be a daily at least for and while I would expect it to be firm, everyone has a different expectation and tolerance of that. Hoping other Fiesta owners will be able to provide perspective from the same place I'm at.
I'd say it's probably about the same as a 2014 FiST (which had the stiffer spring rates - these were softened in later model years). Ride harshness is a common complaint for the GRCs.

Prices are dropping like crazy FWIW. I saw a 2023 model recently being listed for $3k under MSRP

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Ya I have succumbed as well🤣 I am on the Allocation list at a MSRP dealer for a 24 Circuit Blue Flame. After test driving both a Black Core and a Heavy Metal Circuit . I am sold for getting the car for a daily. My Orange Spice FiST will hang around as I have so little into her now. ( thank you insurance) Plus with 200TW tires on her she was not too fun to drive in heavy rain. It was a bit on the scary side 🤣
You’ll love it, I’ve had mine for 6 months.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Any current GRC owners care to comment any more on ride quality vs the FiST? Love my Fiesta but it’s a '14 with 145k miles so time is growing short. My only real complaint with it is a rough ride at times on VT roads, though it’s livable with Bilstein B6s at least. The GRC would be a daily at least for and while I would expect it to be firm, everyone has a different expectation and tolerance of that. Hoping other Fiesta owners will be able to provide perspective from the same place I'm at.
Ride quality is softer than the FiST. Build quality overall is much better as well, no rattling whatsoever.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Ride quality is softer than the FiST. Build quality overall is much better as well, no rattling whatsoever.
Yeah, build quality is astronomically better than the FiST.

But back to ride quality. I guess it's subjective...I feel like the valving on the OEM shocks on the GRC is on the harsh side for compression, but a little soft on rebound. so when you hit a fairly big bump (think speed bump) at speed it kind of sucks, but it can handle potholes and stuff just fine.

I think it is perfectly fine for a daily if you are used to sporty cars.

kobrien4

Thanks for the quick replies all! I had been considering going to something a little more comfortable for a daily but the little Fiesta just makes me so damn happy and the GR is really the only thing out there that seems similar. Glad to hear the ride is generally a little smoother and more composed, it sounds about perfect. I think what made me nervous was the high spring rates (I think 5kg/mm F and 6kg/mm rear or so) but obviously suspension geometry and damping have a big impact on what those mean for the ride too.

Also glad to hear prices seem to be coming down, I had hoped that would be the case. I don't think I saw a single review that didn't include something like "if you can actually find one for msrp..." and plenty of comments saying the same. Seemed like it became something of a self fulfilling prophecy, buyers already expect to pay extra so why wouldn't dealers charge that.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Are there viable, quality, performance enhancing/functional aftermarket suspension options out there yet for this platform (if one is crazy enough to swap that out on a brand new ride)? [dunno]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Are there viable, quality, performance enhancing/functional aftermarket suspension options out there yet for this platform (if one is crazy enough to swap that out on a brand new ride)? [dunno]
Yes manufacturers are jumping on board in the coilover department . Fortune Auto has applications for the car . HKS is got something in the works if not already as well, Rumors are Ohlins are coming which would be surprising as the Japanese aftermarket revers Ohlins . This is a Japanese car . The Japanese aftermarket will go nuts on it. Plus the Suspension is gonna be easy as Toyota actually took Corolla suspension to begin with for the sake of the wider track when they designed the Yaris . Yes the Yaris has the same suspension . The GRC is literally a GR Yaris with a Corolla unibody.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, IF I could afford this ride in the first place (or the Yaris version if I lived elsewhere), I could most likely afford/justify the Ohlins, and it is what I would want to install on that car. [thumb] [driving]

CSM

1000 Post Club
There are some high end options out there as well. MCS has a coilover set for the GRC, but it is pricey at $4500 for the 1 way adjustable (rebound only) non remote reservoir. I have MCS on my Miata, and boy are they amazing. If you do any sort of track / autocross and you have the funds to do MCS, they're what I would get.

Some mid tier options too are coming out. I know Annex just released a set for ~$2600 and I heard a rumor that Shaftworks may be looking to do some development and bring a set of their bilanx series.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I would have guessed that the Ohlins would be in that same approaching $5K range as well, no??
But yes, I would expect at least 2 way (if not 3 way) adjustable and either remote or attached reservoirs, for that price point, even from them.

ronmcdon

MCS are much pricier. Ohlins do have a lower price point. 1 way ohlins 'road and track' coilovers run around 2700ish give or take, depending on application. I have a set on my evo x, with eibach ers 10k/10k springs that were around that much when I got them 2014. Now Im gessing they cost around 3k w/ extra springs. MCS typically at least another $1-1.5 or so on top of Ohlins. To me, it makes sense if one wants to be competitive. Maybe they are excellent on the street too, but to me its a hard sell as someone who isn't competing. Well maybe if I had an ND, I would have a harder time resisting the temptation with MCS at least the cheaper 2 way model w/out external reservoir. Interestingly was just checking them out on the Karcepts site when looking at their fancy swaybars the other day.

On my fiesta, I'm very happy with the meister g1 w/ swift 8k front/6k rear. Going to try a set of Silver Neomax 2 way for 2,100 plus 350 for swift springs on my civic si. They also have a Fiesta application. Price sounds almost too much to be true, but it has gotten some good feedback on one of the civic x boards I lurk. I am interested to see how much of a difference 2 way tuning makes.

CSM

1000 Post Club
well maybe if I had an ND, I would have a harder time resisting the temptation with MCS at least the cheaper 2 way model w/out external reservoir. Interestingly was just checking them out on the Karcepts site when looking at their fancy swaybars the other day.
Karcepts is where I got my ND's setup - sways, offset bushings, and MCS 1WNR with his mounts and custom valving by him. I was advised that the 1WNR actually rides a little better on the street as compared to the 2WNR, so that's what I went with.

But I agree, if you're street driving they're probably overkill for the price premium. Fwiw my Miata had MeisterR on it when I got it and the MCS do ride better, but most people probably wouldn't notice

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
MCS are much pricier. Ohlins do have a lower price point. 1 way ohlins 'road and track' coilovers run around 2700ish give or take, depending on application. I have a set on my evo x, with eibach ers 10k/10k springs that were around that much when I got them 2014. Now Im gessing they cost around 3k w/ extra springs. MCS typically at least another $1-1.5 or so on top of Ohlins. To me, it makes sense if one wants to be competitive. Maybe they are excellent on the street too, but to me its a hard sell as someone who isn't competing. Well maybe if I had an ND, I would have a harder time resisting the temptation with MCS at least the cheaper 2 way model w/out external reservoir. Interestingly was just checking them out on the Karcepts site when looking at their fancy swaybars the other day.

On my fiesta, I'm very happy with the meister g1 w/ swift 8k front/6k rear. Going to try a set of Silver Neomax 2 way for 2,100 plus 350 for swift springs on my civic si. They also have a Fiesta application. Price sounds almost too much to be true, but it has gotten some good feedback on one of the civic x boards I lurk. I am interested to see how much of a difference 2 way tuning makes.

Yes, Silver also offers a factory ride height (or higher) 'rally' version of their Neomax for our rides, valving modified and sold through Panda Motorworks.

I was just fearful of even trying to purchase them, given some of the problems some have had with Panda not delivering after taking their coin, in the past. [:(]

ronmcdon

oh yes I would be fearful of going with panda as well! Thankfully went with Ron even thought the part is for my honda.