Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Has anyone tuned for Torco Racing additives? Like for 95-98 octane?

Would like to know if anyone has gone that route... A Can Is only about $5 -10 depending on how you buy it!

TheStig

Take this with a grain of salt BUT in afew different small engine tests i have seen (ATV offroad world mind you). Torco fuels have made less power and torque than their direct VP Fuels competition, IE fuel they both offer that is the most similiar.

Im not sure exactly what the reasoning for that is exactly. I also am well aware that VP is far more expensive, but it makes reliable power for the money you spend.

Not a knock on Torco (pun intended, get it, knock). Just what i personally saw from afew dyno graphs done same engine, same day, just a fuel swap and cool down. It was roughly 2.5hp less on a 57hp 450cc motor running 14.25:1 compression.

Again this is just what ive seen, they are great fuels, just not the best in my personal experience.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Seems like you are asking about the octane booster, not actual fuel.

I have tried it, then went to E30 which made more power but more hassle to deal with as 100 miles away for the only source here.

I have read a lot of positive reviews on the Torco additive, it does seem to help but if you can get E30 or blend your own from E85, might be better off.

Just in case you are not aware, labeled as E85 does not mean it is actually E85, some places it can vary, here is usually E70

TheStig

Whoops, i didnt see the additive part. Raam is 100% right, get or build a cheap Ethanol content tester.

Otherwise you tune for E85 and feed it E70 (as he mentioned) and have not stellar results.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Plus, running Torco all the time will kill your plugs...or so I've been told.

OP
M
Thread Starter #7
There is no where around here that I know of to get E85 or I absolutely would have it tuned for it... Was asking about the Octane Boosters and maybe have a different tune for it so I wouldn't have to use it all the time.

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
Personally I'm not a fan of fuel additivies. I've seen what they do to spark plugs. I'll stick to my E30.

OP
M
Thread Starter #9
very jealous of you guys... I'm in NY on the Jersey border....there are Zero in the entire state of NJ and the nearest one in NY is an hour+ away!

TheStig

Pretty much your only option is to rent/borrow/use a pickup and fill a 55gal drum to syphon some off as necessary.

OR you could have VP/Sunoco/Torco deliver 5/15/30/54 gal container of fuel to your doorstep. Blend lead free 100 octane with 91 and have yourself around 96-98 depending upon blend. Cheap as E85? Nowhere near, convenient for you? Possibly yes.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I had lots of orange residue in the turbo and DP after running just one tank of Torco but I have also read it is really not a big issue.........

Not making the power I had hoped to see as well so switched to E30, had to drive 200 miles round trip to get it so picked up 22 gallons, had to buy the jugs, etc......and use my dually so it was a bit expensive but I figured I would just deal with it as we travel carry cans in the back of the truck.

Still not making the power I wanted, best was only around 231 HP and 258 ft lbs which is low for a Cyborg turbo but we were blowing out the spark above 6k RPM in the 30 degree or lower weather.

After 100+ tuning runs, trying Torco then E30, the Torco may of worked out after we figured out a few things, I decided to just go to the EFR which I had planned on doing before the first Cyborg, which was mine, was even heard of.

Now I am just waiting to get over a very nasty bug and get the car together and tuned on the EFR DHM turbo system, which I imagine will make all the power I need for road race track use and still be very street friendly.

I will just tune on 91 as that will be easy to get most anywhere, we are going full time RVing with the car in the trailer.

If not quite the power I want then will wait and see what happens in the 5th injector setup as I like that idea the best, no additives, no fuel blending, not much in extra hardware or weight and it will help clean the valves.

------------

All that said, if you go the Torco route get it tuned right and let us know how it goes, please, my car was never fully sorted out with it.

I tuned my Mazdaspeed miata on torco additive for 95 octane and ran it for a few years like that in my car. Added 10 oz per fill-up and it worked great!

meFiSTo

I did not "tune" for Torco, but with this car I have taken to adding it when needed (only on track days, so far just one to date). I added half a can (16 ounces) to the initial tank of gas at the track. I'm guessing that boosted our 92 octane maybe 2 or 3 ticks to 94 to 95. When I got down to about 1/3 of a tank, I refilled and added the rest. That lifted the total octane count a little more. My objective is really just to help avoid detonation when the engine is running hot. I might bump to one can per tank.

Here's what the Torco chart says:

I'm running the MP215 tune. Here's what Randy said in an IM about the tune and octane effects:

So, with this tune (and this ECU), the computer adapts with added octane. It's not optimized like you'd get with a protune, but it does adjust.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Great inputs, I found a lot of very positive remarks on Torco and only a very few negative ones.

My results may of been better once we figured out a few tuning things we needed to change which we found when doing the E30 tuning.

I might just order some in to add when at the track as well, sure better deal than $10 race fuel!

I will still want a 5th injector setup most likely when one is available.

Rick

TheStig

Great inputs, I found a lot of very positive remarks on Torco and only a very few negative ones.

My results may of been better once we figured out a few tuning things we needed to change which we found when doing the E30 tuning.

I might just order some in to add when at the track as well, sure better deal than $10 race fuel!

I will still want a 5th injector setup most likely when one is available.

Rick
Yeah but that race gas smell

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
My first and only track weekend, 200 miles on course, 8.8 MPG, will will be lower with the bigger turbo I am installing...22.72 gallons x $10, $227 for just fuel let alone tires, oil change, entry fees, getting there, parking there over the weekend.....if I ran the best fuel, one of the VP's, $317 for fuel.

WMI, far cheaper but more can go wrong, have to haul around methanol.

5th injector, even at 8 MPH, pump gas, around $65.

Race gas does smell good but I can buy a ton of flowers for that kind of money:)