Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Help! Broke a bolt. Panicking

So I'm installing the 2j downpipe. on the three bolts that connect the factory DP to the turbo at the 11 o' clock position, The bolt snapped off. What is plan of action? The downpipe is fully off now.

Mine is seized halfway on. My cp-e dp has been held on with the remaining two bolts for 10k miles now with zero issues.

See if you can get a stud remover tool on it, vice grips, or drill and tap or just drill and nut and bolt. I wouldn't recommend leaving only two bolts.

haste

1000 Post Club
I had the same problem. Removed turbo...separated the turbine housing....drilled and retapped the hole. Reinstalled.

twolf

2 bolts would likely be just fine, local club member broke the same bolt and has been running it for quite a few miles without it.

that bolt is pretty common to break, BTW.

Good thing I came in here. I agree with the tap and dye solution. If you are not confident to do it, have a shop do it for you.
And now I will keep my eye on that bolt when I get my aftermarket DP down the road.

Remember to use penetrating oil when removing these bolts and use high temperature anti-seize when reinstalling.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I now have anti-seize all of the back side of my engine, lol.

And Ray Charlies once said, "get that shit in yo eyes, you'z will never-seize again" !!

If the broken bolt is sticking out a bit, I've had good luck with these....

https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/SR101/4-PIECE-STUD-REMOVER-SETS/

Nursing it out with some heat should help as well.

If it's broken off flush, a torch and a left hand cobalt drill bit is a very easy first step.

https://store.snapon.com/Combination-Extractor-Sets-10pc-Left-Hand-Extractor-Set-P635425.aspx

Both of those methods worked well when I was doing GM 6.0L exhaust manifolds.

^ gets them triton manifold bolts all the time. You might be fine leaving two bolts in but it has three for a reason and only having two in stupid. Fix the car right. Don't hack up a newer car with shotty worksmanship.