Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hole in my engine block

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The worst Ford can say is go f yourself. Ford's scanner can read previous calibrations though. Just an fyi. Totally doesn't mean your dealership won't cover it. Plenty look the other way. Not saying yours will but it may.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
It cannot see previous calibrations. It sees the amount of times the engine has been started since the calibration was flashed. So flashing to stock tune on an undriveable car will show zero times started which will be suspicious. You should tell them that you disconnected the battery after the engine blew up.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Gotta be cylinder 3. The plug gap is slammed shut and its all wet and dark. My guess is the piston cracked apart and wedged itself.

So I am new to the Fiesta ST world but owning 8 mustangs in my life I have had allot of different engine builds and being on mustang forums for so many years I see this more than I would like to admit. And one of reasons is bad gas and detonation which the computer is suppose to start pulling timing when knock sensors start but does these cars have that? In NA engines a knock is one thing but in a engine with boost (turbo or Supercharger) knocks can be deadly fast. I run a 93 octane tune in my Mustang but because I have gotten bad gas before from a Shell station which is suppose to be good gas, I started years ago running Boostane which is a PITA at $ 20.00 a can but it gives me a little insurance that I have at least 93 octane. Of course I have had motors break because of a bearing, valve spring, rod, because it was a faulty part not because I was beating on it so maybe this was just a faulty part and the few extra things you did made it fail sooner?

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
So I am new to the Fiesta ST world but owning 8 mustangs in my life I have had allot of different engine builds and being on mustang forums for so many years I see this more than I would like to admit. And one of reasons is bad gas and detonation which the computer is suppose to start pulling timing when knock sensors start but does these cars have that? In NA engines a knock is one thing but in a engine with boost (turbo or Supercharger) knocks can be deadly fast. I run a 93 octane tune in my Mustang but because I have gotten bad gas before from a Shell station which is suppose to be good gas, I started years ago running Boostane which is a PITA at $ 20.00 a can but it gives me a little insurance that I have at least 93 octane. Of course I have had motors break because of a bearing, valve spring, rod, because it was a faulty part not because I was beating on it so maybe this was just a faulty part and the few extra things you did made it fail sooner?
There are two knock sensors in the fiesta. There is a lot of really intelligent logic in the ECU that would recognize poor fuel quality and significantly cut timing. The parameter that would indicate this is "Octane Adjustment Ratio" which looks at ignition corrections over time. While knock events may have a contributing factor in this failure, I suspect it's not the root cause. This is why I was asking for the logs after the bolt-ons were installed.

Octane booster will foul your spark plugs really quick and dilute your oil (similar to ethanol) so it is best to change spark plugs more frequently when using it. Definitely not a recommended option in the fiesta st for regular daily-driving. Ethanol blends are a significantly better option.

I keep plugs on had for that reason it is hard on them. I have considered bigger injectors, pumps and a return style fuel system so I can run E30 plus I can turn up the boost more but afraid I will be at the limit of the rods so that turns into a short block build. I learned real fast the saying "For every action there is a equal or opposite reaction" When it comes to my cars... but on my sport bikes it seems they just worked go figure.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
It cannot see previous calibrations. It sees the amount of times the engine has been started since the calibration was flashed. So flashing to stock tune on an undriveable car will show zero times started which will be suspicious. You should tell them that you disconnected the battery after the engine blew up.
My bad. I forgot about them only seeing the last time it was calibrated. Either way, I'd take it in in hopes they'd cover this under warranty. When my engine exploded I had 21k miles and it built up so much pressure in the crank case it knocked compression in 2/4 cylinders down to 0. I still haven't taken my old engine apart to see the damage but it was bad enough that it instantly killed the car and rolled to a stop.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I keep plugs on had for that reason it is hard on them. I have considered bigger injectors, pumps and a return style fuel system so I can run E30 plus I can turn up the boost more but afraid I will be at the limit of the rods so that turns into a short block build. I learned real fast the saying "For every action there is a equal or opposite reaction" When it comes to my cars... but on my sport bikes it seems they just worked go figure.
That's good. As far as E30 blends on these cars, there is no need to upgrade the fuel system if you are running the stock turbo. Obviously reliability is a different subject but so far, most of us have had great success with it fairly long term. The Ford Ecoboost platforms love ethanol.

http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/stratified-fiesta-st-tune-progress-and-e85/

My bad. I forgot about them only seeing the last time it was calibrated. Either way, I'd take it in in hopes they'd cover this under warranty. When my engine exploded I had 21k miles and it built up so much pressure in the crank case it knocked compression in 2/4 cylinders down to 0. I still haven't taken my old engine apart to see the damage but it was bad enough that it instantly killed the car and rolled to a stop.

Rocketst did you have any mods done to your fiesta or find out why there was so much pressure build up..I want to do some mods but don't want to do something that is known to be a bad thing.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Rocketst did you have any mods done to your fiesta or find out why there was so much pressure build up..I want to do some mods but don't want to do something that is known to be a bad thing.
I was running way too much boost because my wastegate solenoid seized. Basically the only way for that boost pressure to release without letting off throttle was closed it built up more and more then went boom. I didn't know it at the time because my map sensor couldn't pick it up but based on the rpm I was at I would assume I was somewhere in the 35-40 range. Stock turbo took it like a champ but the engine hated it. I was running basic bolt ons when this happened.

I was running way too much boost because my wastegate solenoid seized. Basically the only way for that boost pressure to release without letting off throttle was closed it built up more and more then went boom. I didn't know it at the time because my map sensor couldn't pick it up but based on the rpm I was at I would assume I was somewhere in the 35-40 range. Stock turbo took it like a champ but the engine hated it. I was running basic bolt ons when this happened.

That sucks was that a stock wastegate if so I am guessing Ford had no choice but to replace the engine... this is my only fear with modding this little car when a $ 50.00 part causes a major failure how will Ford address it?