Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hood Vents and Under Hood Temps

That's a great point. Although it's probably more likely that his seat is too far forward or he's running evening air rather than morning air in his tires. :ROFLMAO:
Why don’t you go do some deep knee bends in the cucumber patch 😺

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
50/50 ford mix with a bottle of water wetter
You're doing everything right. @Siestarider did some (awesome) testing and found that the vents you're considering are placed at the optimal spot but, if I remember correctly, didn't find any gains re. drag reduction which *might* mean that it wasn't letting more air through the car (although that might have been with the vents that are placed in the center of the hood).

Some people have had good results removing the plastic from the blocked portion of the grill. I'm skeptical that this will help in your case because you've got a stock crash car right behind that part of the grill. Also, every race car builder everywhere is going to say that the opening for your heat exchangers should be about 1/3 the total area of your heat exchangers, so you don't need a bigger hole. If you've having a hard time getting air out of the car a bigger hole to let air in won't make much of an improvement.

It might be time to get racey: pull the bumper cover back off and tape up every nook and cranny with tape (aluminum tape the easiest to work with, in my experience) to ensure that every bit of air has to go through a heat exchanger. There's a spot on the passenger side of the radiator where a tall vertical plastic strip butts up against the radiator and the gap is filled with a piece of foam that loves to fall out, letting air spill off the passenger side of the radiator.

I'd love to hear about your oil temp. If your oil temp. is right at the thermostat temp. then I'd lean towards something being off with the coolant-side of the system. If the oil is hot, too, then the whole system is running hot.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Maybe you should try putting a low temp thermostat in. It will give you a little more leeway before you get hot. Once you get hot you're still going to have the same problems, but it will give you more time.
If you get a tune you can have them set the fan to come on earlier. Also you could try running a lower concentration of antifreeze maybe something like 30/70.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Maybe you should try putting a low temp thermostat in. It will give you a little more leeway before you get hot. Once you get hot you're still going to have the same problems, but it will give you more time.
If you get a tune you can have them set the fan to come on earlier. Also you could try running a lower concentration of antifreeze maybe something like 30/70.
He's getting to 238º in two laps so I've got to think that he's blowing past 160º and 180º on the first straight.

I sniffed around a year ago when I was having cooling problems on my race car and the word is that, if you can run EP or PP on the track, run it at 50/50 and add a bottle of water wetter for extra measure, just like OP is doing. Also, the difference in the rate of heat exchange between 30/70 and 50/50 is going to be slight, and he doesn't have a slight problem; he's got a busted race car problem.

That makes absolutely no sense. Explain your logic.

If the intercooler is too large for the turbo there will be a pressure drop. If there is too much pressure drop the hot compressed air from the turbo will not flow properly through the intercooler therefore it won’t be cooled before entering the intake. It will be just a bunch of hot air. You know about hot air. There’s a lot of it about 🗣

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
If the intercooler is too large for the turbo there will be a pressure drop. If there is too much pressure drop the hot compressed air from the turbo will not flow properly through the intercooler therefore it won’t be cooled before entering the intake. It will be just a bunch of hot air. You know about hot air. There’s a lot of it about [emoji860]
Well that's a very easy temperature to monitor. A ton of people have that intercooler, and it's known for a fact that it reduces the temperature on the stock Turbo.

Well that's a very easy temperature to monitor. A ton of people have that intercooler, and it's known for a fact that it reduces the temperature on the stock Turbo.

So what’s his IAT?

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
If the intercooler is too large for the turbo there will be a pressure drop. If there is too much pressure drop the hot compressed air from the turbo will not flow properly through the intercooler therefore it won’t be cooled before entering the intake. It will be just a bunch of hot air. You know about hot air. There’s a lot of it about 🗣
A hotter charge temp. would be less dense, having less oxygen by volume, resulting in less power created, resulting in less waste heat, resulting in a colder engine. Engine heat is created by the waste energy of the burn, not by the temperature of the air being pumped through it.

Last edited:
OP
J
Thread Starter #33
You're doing everything right. @Siestarider did some (awesome) testing and found that the vents you're considering are placed at the optimal spot but, if I remember correctly, didn't find any gains re. drag reduction which *might* mean that it wasn't letting more air through the car (although that might have been with the vents that are placed in the center of the hood).

Some people have had good results removing the plastic from the blocked portion of the grill. I'm skeptical that this will help in your case because you've got a stock crash car right behind that part of the grill. Also, every race car builder everywhere is going to say that the opening for your heat exchangers should be about 1/3 the total area of your heat exchangers, so you don't need a bigger hole. If you've having a hard time getting air out of the car a bigger hole to let air in won't make much of an improvement.

It might be time to get racey: pull the bumper cover back off and tape up every nook and cranny with tape (aluminum tape the easiest to work with, in my experience) to ensure that every bit of air has to go through a heat exchanger. There's a spot on the passenger side of the radiator where a tall vertical plastic strip butts up against the radiator and the gap is filled with a piece of foam that loves to fall out, letting air spill off the passenger side of the radiator.

I'd love to hear about your oil temp. If your oil temp. is right at the thermostat temp. then I'd lean towards something being off with the coolant-side of the system. If the oil is hot, too, then the whole system is running hot.
That was yesterdays task. Got the sides tapped up, and tapped the seam between the condenser and rad. For anyone reading look at the RH side of the radiator there is a pretty large gap between the rad and condenser.

Also added a couple of holes in the reinforcement panel behind the crash beam in front of the condenser. Hopefully to allow for a bit more flow without increasing front end lift by having a larger opening.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ok I said might be. I said nothing definitive. Read much?
It’s gotta be the seat position, right? I mean, nothing definitive, but people say that if you have your seat too far forward it can overheat your car. I think that I read that someplace. Or maybe I just made it up to have something to say and appear insightful. :rolleyes:

It’s gotta be the seat position, right? I mean, nothing definitive, but people say that if you have your seat too far forward it can overheat your car. I think that I read that someplace. Or maybe I just made it up to have something to say and appear insightful. :rolleyes:
I own one. I wouldn’t pair it with the stock turbo or the CPE which is on my car. Now go get your shine box! 📦

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Bleed your coolant again. Your IC and other hardware are adequate for heavy track use. If you’re certain there’s no air, flush it and run water with water wetter.

FWIW I tracked all season (Southeast US) last year with a stock turbo, 5w30 synthetic oil, open grill, Mishimoto radiator (Ford coolant) and DHM Race IC without any overheating issues. There’s no way your intercooler is a problem lol. My guess is air in the cooling system. Hope you get it figured out!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Bleed your coolant again. Your IC and other hardware are adequate for heavy track use. If you’re certain there’s no air, flush it and run water with water wetter.

FWIW I tracked all season (Southeast US) last year with a stock turbo, 5w30 synthetic oil, open grill, Mishimoto radiator (Ford coolant) and DHM Race IC without any overheating issues. There’s no way your intercooler is a problem lol. My guess is air in the cooling system. Hope you get it figured out!
Ding ding ding we have a winner, my tooth killing must have made me space out thinking of that. Air in the system would totally cause this issue. Otherwise there should be no reason his temps are skyrocketing like that with an upgraded radiator.