Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hood Vents and Under Hood Temps

koozy

3000 Post Club
OP stated that the system has been burped. This may be a case where the Mountune radiator is showing its weakness, on the track. Most users so far have off track cooling improvements, but track duty, high revs, high ambient temps, humidity, etc may be taxing the radiator.

Those coolant temps of 230+ are similar to what I was seeing with the stock radiator in the canyons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
OP stated that the system has been burped. This may be a case where the Mountune radiator is showing its weakness, on the track. Most users so far have off track cooling improvements, but track duty, high revs, high ambient temps, humidity, etc may be taxing the radiator.

Those coolant temps of 230+ are similar to what I was seeing with the stock radiator in the canyons.

I have heard of nobody having a problem like this on the track with the Mountune radiator. Rome Medrano has been running at Thunderhill and Button Willow with his.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

That's only because you're such a Hardcore driver Koozy!

koozy

3000 Post Club
I have heard of nobody having a problem like this on the track with the Mountune radiator. Rome Medrano has been running at Thunderhill snf Button Willow with his.
He’s also 500lbs. Less no? Weight can be a factor on the cooling system too.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
He’s also 500lbs. Less no? Weight can be a factor too.

Ya but the Mountune rad has been out for years and lots of people run it including quite a few who autocross and track. No one has complained about heat issues like this as of yet.
You cannot cite this one incident as being a problem with the radiator as its inefficient as if that was so we would have seen lots of reports of it.

I still think there is something else going on here.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Ya bought the Mountune rad has been out for years and lots of people run it including quite a few who autocross and track. No one has complained about heat issues like this as of yet.
You cannot cite this one incident as being a problem with the radiator as its inefficient as if that was so we would have seen lots of reports of it.

I still think there is something else going on here.
Hence why I used the word “may”. The jury is still out.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Hence why I used the word “may”. The jury is still out.

I guess we will have to see, though just because he burped it once does not mean he got all the air out. I know on my BMW you have to bleed the radiators seriously. A casual burp will not get all the air out.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I guess we will have to see, though just because he burped it once does not mean he got all the air out. I know on my BMW you have to bleed the radiators seriously. A casual burp will not get all the air out.
It’s easy to bleed on the FiST. So I’m taking his word for it as he also states that cooling is only an issue on the track. But yes, we need more real world results from more users.

OP
J
Thread Starter #50
With the front of the rad shrouding taped up cruising at 55-60 MPH results in ECT of 187-190. Before taping up the front shrouding the ECT was 192-194.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
With the front of the rad shrouding taped up cruising at 55-60 MPH results in ECT of 187-190. Before taping up the front shrouding the ECT was 192-194.
Good start, fingers crossed. I'd love to see what you've taped - maybe take a quick picture the next time you have your bumper cover off? Looking forward to hearing about track results.

Someone should do a how to Bleed the FiST radiator!
I open the expansion tank cap and bleeder valve on the radiator and put it on max defrost with the heat on max and start the car. Let the engine come up to temp and keep filling the tank until coolant comes out of the bleeder valve. I have to do mine again 💦

I love the way no one has answered his initial question lol. I understand the other factors at hand but I was kinda hoping someone had added some venting and got cooler temps somehow.

Siestarider

I recommend running the heater full blast next track day. Serves multiple functions, clearing any bubbles in cooling system, additional cooling capacity. I run stock cooling and get by in hot conditions on track with this.

I do have hood vents where they work, could not prove their function with coast-down tests, but that a crude measure. I can feel lots of hot air coming out of them by reaching out window. I imagine they would work better if I surrounded them with short air foils like the rally cars use.

Not sure if anyone's done this to their FiST yet, but here in Phx, I've seen a number of import cars with the hood lifted slightly at the back...just in front of the wipers. I'm talking all of 1". Might be some type of hinge modification in an attempt to let out some engine bay heat.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Not sure if anyone's done this to their FiST yet, but here in Phx, I've seen a number of import cars with the hood lifted slightly at the back...just in front of the wipers. I'm talking all of 1". Might be some type of hinge modification in an attempt to let out some engine bay heat.
Whatever minor - if any - gains to be had from evacuating hot air from the engine bay, I’d imagine would be offset by increased drag resistance because of the turbulence it would create...

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The highest pressure point on the hood is right at the cowl so I'm not sure how that's gonna help air get out...

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hey buddy when I take the lid off a pot of boiling water steam goes up.
Look at the air intakes on funny cars - the intake hole points point the windshield b/c that's where the pressure is. The hot air rises from the pot b/c there's cooler air around to replace it, but gravity cooling goes to hell when there's more than just a bit of air movement.

On the FiST the natural low pressure zones are on either side hood of the towards the top where the crease is.