Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How often do you change your oil?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
You miss the point......they are selling aux fuel systems so what do you think they are going to say? That is all they sell for our car basically. Of course aux fuel is a great choice......if you want to trash your warranty and spend big bucks. For a stock or modded car with warranty why would I do that? If you have already trashed your warranty with mods go for it. But to make stupid claims is typical marketing. You mistake marketing for actual data. When you say it is an opinion you accept that it has not been proven by independent testing. Does not take an "engineer" to see water in oil. If this "article" had any credence it would be published as an article in real car journals, not just on the sellers website. Has some good info along with the BS.
Not arguing with you, I don't think your wrote it. Stating facts. I do call BS when it is obviously BS, especially when the "engineer" who has this "opinion" works for the company that sells the aux fuel "solution". Keep on keeping on!
I didn't miss your point, I just don't see it as an ad for aux fuel at all, they sell tunes and a regular variety of mods like any other seller, but yeah, they sell aux fuel too... Honestly, I have shared this a number of times including on some pretty technical FB groups and you are the first person to make such claims... and it's OK, we are entitled to our opinions, I just happen to buy their claims after they present pretty good evidence. I have heard of plenty of FiST owners who do catch a lot of very light condensation/steam in their catch cans, it must vary dependent on exact setup and humidity levels... but most importantly I just wanted to share an alternate point of view on catch cans, just to show that one, along with some pretty decent technical data does exist. I'm not trying to tell anyone that they are wrong if you don't completely believe it, there is always 2 sides to every story and I appreciate hearing your side as well.

BTW, have heard of catch cans voiding warranty too, you are messing with the stock pressurized PCV system and even at the least, the Ford service dept guide to voiding your warranty mentions that seeing catch cans leads them to look for more void your warranty, especially engine once you modify that system.

Last edited:

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
...BTW, have heard of catch cans voiding warranty too, you are messing with the stock pressurized PCV system and even at the least, the Ford service dept guide to voiding your warranty mentions that seeing catch cans leads them to look for more void your warranty, especially engine once you modify that system.
Yes, it is absolutely a red flag at the least.

Worst case scenario: If you by chance blow your engine, what's to stop them from saying that modifying the PVC system is what caused it. Even if it's not true.... Go ahead sue them, good luck with that.

Also I empty the oil catch can every 1k kilometers which is about an inch of oil in the can.

Also have to top up the engine oil about twice in between oil changes.
Hmm.... empties catch can and has to add oil (twice) between changes. Seems like there's a connection there. I have NO catch can and my oil level does not move between changes... not a single drop.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I didn't miss your point, I just don't see it as an ad for aux fuel at all, they sell tunes and a regular variety of mods like any other seller, but yeah, they sell aux fuel too... Honestly, I have shared this a number of times including on some pretty technical FB groups and you are the first person to make such claims... and it's OK, we are entitled to our opinions, I just happen to buy their claims after they present pretty good evidence. I have heard of plenty of FiST owners who do catch a lot of very light condensation/steam in their catch cans, it must vary dependent on exact setup and humidity levels... but most importantly I just wanted to share an alternate point of view on catch cans, just to show that one, along with some pretty decent technical data does exist. I'm not trying to tell anyone that they are wrong if you don't completely believe it, there is always 2 sides to every story and I appreciate hearing your side as well.

BTW, have heard of catch cans voiding warranty too, you are messing with the stock pressurized PCV system and even at the least, the Ford service dept guide to voiding your warranty mentions that seeing catch cans leads them to look for more void your warranty, especially engine once you modify that system.
Please feel free to post the so called " Ford service dept guide to voiding your warranty" that should be good reading, not that one exists since the dealer can't void your warranty. But please post it for us since you claim to have read it.

Here are facts....not "I heard". Please feel free to look them up yourself.

An OCC cannot void your warranty, only thing they can do is if they can PROVE your OCC caused the problem you are having the dealer can refuse to do that work for free. Again, a dealer cannot void your warranty....it is with FORD, Dearborn MI. not an independent dealer who is contracted by Ford to do their warranty work. Pick up your phone or email Ford and ask them if a dealer can void a warranty with Ford Motor Company if you have doubts about what I copied and pasted for you from Ford. I hate the lies I read on the Forum about dealers "voiding" Warranties, all BS. Not saying some don't illegally (fraud) try to convince people of that lie to get $$. But you have to be simple minded to buy that when the truth is probably in your glove box.

Please stop with "I heard" and verify for your own edification you are being lied to when someone claims a dealer "voided" their warranty. You are doing nobody on this forum any good perpetuating that myth. The place to find the truth is with Ford not some member making wild claims.

From FORD owners Warranty Guide 2016 but applies to all years. (My bold)

3. The New Vehicle Limited Warranty for your 2016-model vehicle LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMERS All of the warranties in this booklet are subject to the following limitations and disclaimers: The warranties in this booklet are the only express warranties applicable to your vehicle. Ford does not assume or authorize anyone to assume for it any other obligation or liability in connection with your vehicle or these warranties. No person, including Ford employees or dealers, may modify or waive any part of these warranties.

A partial quote from Ford as posted on the Forum "Mountune MP215 "Premium Care" talking about calibrations (tunes) that applies to any mod you make......

" you have to also remember that just because your vehicle has an aftermarket calibration, that does not automatically void any warranty, extended warranty or not. The failure HAS to be PROVEN to be caused by the calibration."

The above follows Federal law, the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). The "proof" is documented data from Ford not your dealers "opinion". The MM Act is between you and FORD not you and the dealer.

Dealer service departments lie their ass off to try to con you into paying for something because Ford does not pay them as much as they can bill you for. The Service department is a profit center, the Service Managers gets a yearly bonus for sales not customer satisfaction.

Stratified------Again you are missing the point on their silly article. I am sure some people may see some moisture in their catch can ....but it is an outright lie as like you state yourself you see a some "very light" amount of moisture, not the majority of what is in your catch can as stated by them. I have never seen a drop in mine much less the most of it being water. One lie is all it takes for me to call BS on them. You are of course free to believe a marketing article with proven lies, I'll pass on it. You are also free to believe "I heard". I'll go with facts. I would think this should close this discussion unless you find that " Ford guide" to post. You post lots of good info on the Forum and I like that, but the subject of warranties is not your strong suit if your source is like many others on the Forum "I heard" rather that Ford. Keep on Wrenchin'

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Please feel free to post the so called " Ford service dept guide to voiding your warranty" that should be good reading, not that one exists since the dealer can't void your warranty. But please post it for us since you claim to have read it.

Here are facts....not "I heard". Please feel free to look them up yourself.

An OCC cannot void your warranty, only thing they can do is if they can PROVE your OCC caused the problem you are having the dealer can refuse to do that work for free. Again, a dealer cannot void your warranty....it is with FORD, Dearborn MI. not an independent dealer who is contracted by Ford to do their warranty work. Pick up your phone or email Ford and ask them if a dealer can void a warranty with Ford Motor Company if you have doubts about what I copied and pasted for you from Ford. I hate the lies I read on the Forum about dealers "voiding" Warranties, all BS. Not saying some don't illegally (fraud) try to convince people of that lie to get $$. But you have to be simple minded to buy that when the truth is probably in your glove box.

Please stop with "I heard" and verify for your own edification you are being lied to when someone claims a dealer "voided" their warranty. You are doing nobody on this forum any good perpetuating that myth. The place to find the truth is with Ford not some member making wild claims.

From FORD owners Warranty Guide 2016 but applies to all years. (My bold)

3. The New Vehicle Limited Warranty for your 2016-model vehicle LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMERS All of the warranties in this booklet are subject to the following limitations and disclaimers: The warranties in this booklet are the only express warranties applicable to your vehicle. Ford does not assume or authorize anyone to assume for it any other obligation or liability in connection with your vehicle or these warranties. No person, including Ford employees or dealers, may modify or waive any part of these warranties.

A partial quote from Ford as posted on the Forum "Mountune MP215 "Premium Care" talking about calibrations (tunes) that applies to any mod you make......

" you have to also remember that just because your vehicle has an aftermarket calibration, that does not automatically void any warranty, extended warranty or not. The failure HAS to be PROVEN to be caused by the calibration."

The above follows Federal law, the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). The "proof" is documented data from Ford not your dealers "opinion". The MM Act is between you and FORD not you and the dealer.

Dealer service departments lie their ass off to try to con you into paying for something because Ford does not pay them as much as they can bill you for. The Service department is a profit center, the Service Managers gets a yearly bonus for sales not customer satisfaction.

Stratified------Again you are missing the point on their silly article. I am sure some people may see some moisture in their catch can ....but it is an outright lie as like you state yourself you see a some "very light" amount of moisture, not the majority of what is in your catch can as stated by them. I have never seen a drop in mine much less the most of it being water. One lie is all it takes for me to call BS on them. You are of course free to believe a marketing article with proven lies, I'll pass on it. You are also free to believe "I heard". I'll go with facts. I would think this should close this discussion unless you find that " Ford guide" to post. You post lots of good info on the Forum and I like that, but the subject of warranties is not your strong suit if your source is like many others on the Forum "I heard" rather that Ford. Keep on Wrenchin'
I keep it bookmarked, it's common knowledge in the scene I thought? https://static.oemdtc.com/GSB/G0000128.pdf
I know about Magnusson-Moss too, you just wasted a whole lot of typing preaching to the choir. Feel free to take comfort on your own level in regards to warranty, I don't give a shit, if I'm modding then I'm taking that risk... and that's the bottom-line, have fun trying to sue them if they deny you with all the precedence they have set in the legal areas. If you are modding more than just a rear muffler, they can find ways to deny you if they choose to, so good luck worrying about warranty if you mod.

Anyway, I'm not going to entertain all this negativity, period, it's just not healthy to get into debates with people who obviously have their mind made up and despite carefully wording my replies I just get more negativity and attacks in return... If you want to productively question what I say, try a little tact instead of doubt and anger, but I also already had to say what I had to say on this topic, it really is just food for thought, not for people to get butt-hurt over.

Last edited:

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Just to be clear nobody is saying they can "void" a warranty. They can and will deny claims if they want, even if in the wrong.

They dont have to prove ANYTHING! They will deny because they can. If you feel it was unjust, you will have to prove otherwise. Corporations have money and resources to put up a fight; even if they lose, it's not a biggie. But as an avg consumer, you do not have the same resources.

Bottom line:You installed something that modified the car, and that is enough. You should read the warranty info... They of course won't deny an engine replacement if for example you installed coilovers, they know when and where the line gets blurred.

Edit: dan, I didn't read your post, so it's seems like im being repetitive.

Last edited:

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I keep it bookmarked, it's common knowledge in the scene I thought? https://static.oemdtc.com/GSB/G0000128.pdf
I know about Magnusson-Moss too, you just wasted a whole lot of typing preaching to the choir. Feel free to take comfort on your own level in regards to warranty, I don't give a shit, if I'm modding then I'm taking that risk... and that's the bottom-line, have fun trying to sue them if they deny you with all the precedence they have set in the legal areas. If you are modding more than just a rear muffler, they can find ways to deny you if they choose to, so good luck worrying about warranty if you mod.

Anyway, I'm not going to entertain all this negativity, period, it's just not healthy to get into debates with people who obviously have their mind made up and despite carefully wording my replies I just get more negativity and attacks in return... If you want to productively question what I say, try a little tact instead of doubt and anger, but I also already had to say what I had to say on this topic, it really is just food for thought, not for people to get butt-hurt over.
Not butt hurt, I could care less about you believing the facts. Others can read them and decide what is going on for themselves.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Not butt hurt, I could care less about you believing the facts. Others can read them and decide what is going on for themselves.
And that was my point all along, I posted that link to the tech paper on the stock PCV system, how it works, how it's pretty efficient... those are facts... Beyond that, knowing their entire background and how many tech papers they publish, it's just entirely probable that they chose to push WMI/meth after it was clear with what they have been seeing with Mazda turbo and Ecoboost engines for years. Did you notice that is far from the first thing they recommend? To me it seems ridiculous they would just decide up front what random way to maintain the vehicle is, carry those product and then just create a tech paper backstory for marketing reasons. Sounds like too much emotional attachment based on your personal product choices while just offering up your own anecdotal experience. I even said I appreciate hearing your side of it but to go on the war path so far to say that they are flat out liars and making up information just to sell products is just not productive for discussion.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
The term, "pay to play" is a real thing. For those of you who think otherwise, are only kidding yourselves. Even if you think it's a harmless safety mod, it opens the door nontheless.
Among other things, I think dan was trying to point out the potential warranty risk involved.

As for the actual benefits of an occ... well that is a hotly debated topic.
Last year I saw a reddit post of someone proudly stating they just installed an occ. The dude was quickly ridiculed for wasting his money. I kinda felt bad for the guy, he meant well, lol.

2017 w/Recaros - bone stock

danbfree

3000 Post Club
The term, "pay to play" is a real thing. For those of you who think otherwise, are only kidding yourselves. Even if you think it's a harmless safety mod, it opens the door nontheless.
Among other things, I think dan was trying to point out the potential warranty risk involved.

As for the actual benefits of an occ... well that is a hotly debated topic.
Last year I saw a reddit post of someone proudly stating they just installed an occ. The dude was quickly ridiculed for wasting his money. I kinda felt bad for the guy, he meant well, lol.

2017 w/Recaros - bone stock
And that's the thing, I'm not about to ridicule someone who does them, and in fact the tech paper says they CAN help somewhat, I've also heard they can especially keep your IC pipes clean. Also, whenever I say "heard" I really mean something that's been brought up numerous times and there is nothing to be found that disputes such info... But as far as my IC pipes, in 28k there almost zero in my intercooler hoses installing my intercooler this weekend. I just wanted to point out how catch cans actually matter less overall than they used to, some people may find some peace of mind using them still and that's cool.

Ford says every 10,000 miles but that seems stupidly long. What do you guys do? Do you have a favorite brand?
I use synthetic which is supposed to be every 6k. I do it early by a couple hundred at least. I can tell a difference when it's fresh oil, it runs smoother so i might start doing it earlier yet, maybe 5k or so.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I use synthetic which is supposed to be every 6k. I do it early by a couple hundred at least. I can tell a difference when it's fresh oil, it runs smoother so i might start doing it earlier yet, maybe 5k or so.
How do you define “smoother”? I’m curious because if the engine is running rough (whatever THAT means) after 6k on the oil, I’d be concerned. FORD runs these engines in tests for a LOT longer, because they don’t want problems - even if people neglect maintenance. Obviously, there’s a limit for how long you can go without changing oil, but if you use full synthetic, it is most def well beyond 6 or 10k.

How do you define “smoother”? I’m curious because if the engine is running rough (whatever THAT means) after 6k on the oil, I’d be concerned. FORD runs these engines in tests for a LOT longer, because they don’t want problems - even if people neglect maintenance. Obviously, there’s a limit for how long you can go without changing oil, but if you use full synthetic, it is most def well beyond 6 or 10k.
I have heard since i was a kid, 3k for regular. Now with synthetic it's 6k, i have never heard anybody mention going up to 10k. Smoother means less vibration, a bit smoother sound. It's not a massive difference but it's enough i can tell the difference when i start approaching 6k. And i'd assume cars like ours which a lot of people rev more often bc they are so quick would make a difference vs a soccer mom in a mini van.

I also live in Missouri and had a very hot summer this year and higher temps break down oil faster. I got my FIST with 26k and it was in perfect condition except for the previous owner had a small knock on the front splitter which caused a bumper sag and scratched up the front edge of the splitter (one thing i will eventually replace).

But it may be me, i might be oversensitive to these things. Im also into photography and i notice little things in photos that most people don't, im just a stickler for small details.

Wow i just noticed your name. I had read some old thread of yours where you tested a turbo booster module from a guy who had his own small business. I can't remember the product name but you had explained that only modulating one sensor would likely see the engine correct the initial boost adjustment.

I had tried a Race Chip product recently and found your posts on that thread and happened to remember your name. Incidentally i returned the racechip and got an AP, but the chip did work just nothing like an AP with e30.

You know Mobil uses ecoboost engines mainly when doing their testing for new formulas they may be trying to the market. So I know it's crazy but they have the new 20k between oil changes formula! There is an excellent YouTube video where I think it's engineering explained I will have to get the link for you all. But they go into their testing methadology and the final test was all ecoboost or like motors. So the formula passed and was released and the only thing they had to change from the mobil 1 synthetic formula and filter was the additive package and a different oil filter gasket that was design for a longer life cycle. Now I'm not saying by any means go 20k with your Fiesta but if you aren't doing track days use common sense. Plus I might mention that with all the fancy addatives in synthetics it's very common for your synthetics to actually perform better with age.

Now I have a question for u all since this is the first vehicle I have owned that called for a 20w engine oil. Here I'm thinking turbo high compression and only a 20w. I'm use to using 0w-30 in everything I owned. Man how crap I get for the 0 part. Why run suck a thin oil!!?!? It's only a 0w at startup and lower Temps than operating temperature. Most of your wear happens at startup hence why some big turbo and hybrids require oil priming. Like someone I know who could build a car from scratch blind folded wouldn't put 0w in my car and said why would u even think about going longer than 3k between changes!?! I got side tracked my bad...what I was getting at was is the pint of the 5w-20 to help increase the flow of oil into the turbo faster? Or does it have something to do with a combination of things like the fluid to fluid oil cooler unit that uses engine coolant to cool the oil, maybe the direct injection and the blow by traveling through the pcv and crankcase side systems?

First thing when I purchased the car was put in both catch cans. And I'm so glad I did because the stock induction system was kinda gross. And mishimotto says they only felt the need for a pcv side catch can. I'm sure it'd not necessary to have them because Ford did an outstanding job with this engine. I mean it's pretty amazing when running a stage 3 setup and all u did was improve air flow in and out to get a great little increase in fun factor. We'll sorry guys for the novel of a post if you made it this far... cheers to you!

View: https://youtu.be/l-zDt9FGJi8

the link to the mobil 1 annual protection vid.