Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How often do you change your oil?

I'm at 20k, too late? I probably wouldn't do it until 25k anyway. What kind of damage are we talking?
I'd say better late than never. I just hit 70k and I put on a catch can last week. Anything that can help prolong the life of your engine is worth doing, the earlier the better. It's essentially a filter that keeps oil vapors from re-entering the intake system. This buildup in your intake manifold could lower performance/efficiency over time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

For my S14 I'd honestly change the oil every 10K miles on fully synthetic while checking the level once a month, when it was boosted every 3K miles.

I figure every 5K miles on fully synthetic on the FiST is a good middle ground. But haven't even gotten to my first oil change yet since owning it.

Replaced the original factory stuff at 2K with Motorcraft blend and the larger fl400s. Then went with PP full synth and another fl400s at 5K this past weekend. Being that these changes were at around 9 and 18 months of ownership, I'll probably stick with either the 9 months or 4K for OCIs. Whichever comes 1st.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Keep in mind that if you do low mileage like me, less than 5000 miles a year, change it at least once a year. That's easy to keep track of, and gives you peace of mind.
I use Mobil 1 5w20 Extended Performance because it has a more robust additive package then regular Mobil 1 5w20. What type of oil to use is one of the most controversial subjects on a car forum, that's why you why you got some groans when you started this thread. Definitely use a name brand full synthetic oil, I think any of them will give you decent protection.

I have been running a mix of the D120 0w20 and the D130 5w30. These are the oils from Driven Oil specifically formulated for DI engines

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I'm usually at 5k intervals. I missed one (doh!) and just did my 45k change at a 10k interval. That oil was blacker than usual. I should have taken a sample to send it in but oh well. Back to 5k for me.

Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w20 with the FL910S filters.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
A paid ad for an oil we have no clue to even who makes it and it does not meet Ford specs? Who would put this in a Ford under warranty? I know Gibbs racing is absolutely covered with petrochemical engineers designing oil products. That is why they sell so much oil! The only question is how much he makes renting his name. Not for me.

Youā€™re questioning Joe Gibbsā€™ reputation with all his years of racing because a reputable online magazine decided to promote a quality product? Whoaaa Blossom!

All the specs are there for you to peruse. Ford specs donā€™t even address the need for virtually eliminating calcium and sodium detergents to alleviate lspi.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
All the specs are there for you to peruse. Ford specs donā€™t even address the need for virtually eliminating calcium and sodium detergents to alleviate lspi.
Very true. One consideration is the warranty on the engine. If by some miracle you are one of the few souls who has kept the car stock, I do not know if Ford will honor the warranty if out of spec oil is used. :unsure:

Very true. One consideration is the warranty on the engine. If by some miracle you are one of the few souls who has kept the car stock, I do not know if Ford will honor the warranty if out of spec oil is used. :unsure:
Stock? LMFAO[burnout]

Every year since I drive the car less than 5k per year.

I like castrol edge, it has lots of titanium which seems to be the new trendy additive

Catch cans are bullshit, I thought we established that a couple years ago? I definitely remember reading about some testing around 2017-18 and they were found to be mostly useless for our cars.

Here's a blog post from stratified addressing it

The concensus appears to be that occ is useless for the 16+ because of the improved oil separation but may still be up for debate on 14-15 or if you change to the older style intake

Last edited:

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
No they won't. You don't have to be stock to have a warranty, you need warranty friendly mods which are all but gone now for our car. My comments were so people knew this product was not something you want to put in your car unless you have modded it to be totally without warranty. Anybody that wants to market a "special" oil and has the money almost any oil company will make it and bottle it for you. And like this oil if it does not meet specs it will void your warranty.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Every year since I drive the car less than 5k per year.

I like castrol edge, it has lots of titanium which seems to be the new trendy additive

Catch cans are bullshit, I thought we established that a couple years ago? I definitely remember reading about some testing around 2017-18 and they were found to be mostly useless for our cars.

Here's a blog post from stratified addressing it

The concensus appears to be that occ is useless for the 16+ because of the improved oil separation but may still be up for debate on 14-15 or if you change to the older style intake
Titanium in oil is not new, Kendall/Motorcraft has used it for many years, it came in your car when new. The reason you see it now is the patent ran out so everyone else is getting onboard. Ford could have chosen any oil but they went with the titanium from Kendall years ago. Nothing wrong with the Edge, it is our backup for the FiST and Mustang GT. And I believe one of the Ford GT Racing sponsors.

Oil in the OCC proves it works to remove oil that would have otherwise passed by the valves. Stratified saying it will not PREVENT it is not the same as saying an OCC does not work to REDUCE it. I know of nothing that will PREVENT it in our stock engines. I will use an OCC to reduce the build up. Proven every time I empty it.