Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

HPDE/Time Attack build

Dialcaliper

I already have the hood vents but if it only does 3-4 degrees than not worth it. What method do you use for bleeding your coolant system? I followed the Ford procedure. Not confident in it at this point.
I used a vacuum bleed and fill (Mishimoto kit), and I noticed after I sucked it down, filled, and bled the radiator top and started it up, the cabin heat wouldn’t warm up even after a while idling at operating temperature.

The process that ended up working for me was:
1) Pressure test (difficult because the Mishimoto adapter threads didn’t fit all that well - fine for vacuum, but it wanted to blow off under pressure
1) Suck Vacuum
2) Lift coolant into the system that I blended into empty distilled water jugs
3) Bleed Radiator top
4) Start car, bring to operating temperature turn heat on full and “enjoy” the cold air coming out. Let the car cool off.
5) Hook up the vacuum system *again*, pull vacuum until the coolant starts foaming, then shut off the valve, and *hold* at vacuum. Wait patiently for a minute or so, and you’ll start to see some tiny bubbles come up into the coolant reservoir
6) Once the bubbles stop, release vacuum, then apply and hold vacuum a second time. More bubbles will come up.
7) Repeat sucking down a third time, at which point bubbles finally stop coming up.If you do get more bubbles,
8) Start the car again, warm up and enjoy the heat with the system finally fully evacuated.

It seem the heater core/valve wants to trap air bubbles because there’s a low point in the lines between the heater core and the rest of the coolant system. After I finally figured it out the first time when the heat wouldn’t warm up after doing the flush, I ended up repeating for a rinse/fill and the final fill with the new radiator, and every single time, I had to vacuum fill, warm up the car first, cool and then repeat pulling vacuum 3 times before bubbles stopped coming up, at which point the heat would come on right away.

I tried the vacuum hold/foaming thing before starting the car so as not to wait for the cooldown, but no matter what it took running the car and then 3x vacuum purging to get all the air out.

Haven’t had a problem since, even driving the car hard on a warm day.

I think the heater lines and possibly the cylinder head just have high spots that hold a little air even after running the car for a while, and it seems like it doesn’t come out of the system even after running the car unless you pull vacuum and hold/wait.

Also, don’t be fooled - the stacked plate oil heat exchanger under the oil filter is a serious little unit and it is capable of pulling a decent amount of heat out of the oil, not just an oil warmer. I’ve used that heat exchanger style for work, and they work quite well.

The moral here is that the factory oil cooler pulls a lot of extra heat into the cooling system that the radiator has to deal with, and adding an external oil cooler will take some heat load off the radiator and reduce coolant temperatures.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #122
I used a vacuum bleed and fill (Mishimoto kit), and I noticed after I sucked it down, filled, and bled the radiator top and started it up, the cabin heat wouldn’t warm up even after a while idling at operating temperature.

The process that ended up working for me was:
1) Pressure test (difficult because the Mishimoto adapter threads didn’t fit all that well - fine for vacuum, but it wanted to blow off under pressure
1) Suck Vacuum
2) Lift coolant into the system that I blended into empty distilled water jugs
3) Bleed Radiator top
4) Start car, bring to operating temperature turn heat on full and “enjoy” the cold air coming out. Let the car cool off.
5) Hook up the vacuum system *again*, pull vacuum until the coolant starts foaming, then shut off the valve, and *hold* at vacuum. Wait patiently for a minute or so, and you’ll start to see some tiny bubbles come up into the coolant reservoir
6) Once the bubbles stop, release vacuum, then apply and hold vacuum a second time. More bubbles will come up.
7) Repeat sucking down a third time, at which point bubbles finally stop coming up.If you do get more bubbles,
8) Start the car again, warm up and enjoy the heat with the system finally fully evacuated.

It seem the heater core/valve wants to trap air bubbles because there’s a low point in the lines between the heater core and the rest of the coolant system. After I finally figured it out the first time when the heat wouldn’t warm up after doing the flush, I ended up repeating for a rinse/fill and the final fill with the new radiator, and every single time, I had to vacuum fill, warm up the car first, cool and then repeat pulling vacuum 3 times before bubbles stopped coming up, at which point the heat would come on right away.

I tried the vacuum hold/foaming thing before starting the car so as not to wait for the cooldown, but no matter what it took running the car and then 3x vacuum purging to get all the air out.

Haven’t had a problem since, even driving the car hard on a warm day.

I think the heater lines and possibly the cylinder head just have high spots that hold a little air even after running the car for a while, and it seems like it doesn’t come out of the system even after running the car unless you pull vacuum and hold/wait.

Also, don’t be fooled - the stacked plate oil heat exchanger under the oil filter is a serious little unit and it is capable of pulling a decent amount of heat out of the oil, not just an oil warmer. I’ve used that heat exchanger style for work, and they work quite well.

The moral here is that the factory oil cooler pulls a lot of extra heat into the cooling system that the radiator has to deal with, and adding an external oil cooler will take some heat load off the radiator and reduce coolant temperatures.
I appreciate the detailed reply. Sounds like vacuum filling is worth a try. Can you link to the kit you used?

Dialcaliper

I appreciate the detailed reply. Sounds like vacuum filling is worth a try. Can you link to the kit you used?
This is the kit I used - it comes with a Venturi but I don’t currently have a compressor so I replumbed it so I could hook up the A/C vacuum pump I have, which worked fine (except one time I wasn’t paying attention and very nearly sucked coolant into the pump!)

Mishimoto MMTL-CPT-28 28-Piece Cooling System Pressure Tester and Vacuum Refill Kit , Black https://a.co/d/hBMC1Ob

As I mentioned, the adapter that ended up working best didn’t really engage the threads on the tank that well - fine in vacuum, but fiddly for pressure testing. If I ever have to do it again I might look around for an adapter that fits better.

There’s another cheaper kit that doesn’t come with all the adapters or the pressure pump and just uses rubber rings. I haven’t tried it but they all use pretty standard fittings you can find elsewhere. Also, there are plenty of equivalently priced kits that are probably not better or worse than the Mishimoto branded one, as they are all knockoffs of more expensive kits that run >$300. You can of course find similar knockoff kits at Harbor Freight.

Mishimoto MMTL-Cool-PR Coolant Vacuum Purge and Refill Tool Kit, Black https://a.co/d/32a35VJ

It seems like whatever Ford did, our cooling system is not well set up for the traditional “pour-in and run the engine” method of filling

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Just wanted to update you. It was super hot at Road Atlanta last Tuesday and I saw coolant temps at 222 after 5th gear WOT pulls to redline on my 4th lap. No limp mode or anything but I ran a cool down lap after that and they quickly dropped back to 190s before I hammered it again.

Are you still digging the Catalyst? It seems like a pretty nice tool in lieu of a coach and I was looking at them a couple weeks ago at the track. I figure if I'm recording my driving anyway, no harm in adding a personal coach lol

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Are you still digging the Catalyst? It seems like a pretty nice tool in lieu of a coach and I was looking at them a couple weeks ago at the track. I figure if I'm recording my driving anyway, no harm in adding a personal coach lol
If you’re asking me, yes I still like it. I don’t use the audible coaching feature but it’s a convenient tool for reviewing video without fumbling with GoPros or Smartycams and laptops.

If you’re asking me, yes I still like it. I don’t use the audible coaching feature but it’s a convenient tool for reviewing video without fumbling with GoPros or Smartycams and laptops.
Both of you, I could have worded it better lol. Good to hear, I'll have to look at picking one up in the winter

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #128
Both of you, I could have worded it better lol. Good to hear, I'll have to look at picking one up in the winter
I like mine still. Wish it was cheaper. I don't use the verbal queues but I will see green/red out of the corner of my eye to see if I'm on pace. Plus I like the ease of exporting video with overlays.

I like mine still. Wish it was cheaper. I don't use the verbal queues but I will see green/red out of the corner of my eye to see if I'm on pace. Plus I like the ease of exporting video with overlays.
That was honestly the biggest thing for me, my roommate picked up one of the Insta360s which does internal views really well and lets her digest some of what she does wrong or could improve on, but it obviously lacks much in the way of data and overlays. I knew I want to record anyway, so the available data and moderate coaching was a pretty big appeal even just as a post session diagnostic. I did see some grumbling that it didn't do the green/red as well as other options, something about there being too much info to digest on the fly?

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #131
I vacuum filled my coolant and it seemed to work well. I didn't have the heater on, not sure if that matters. Next track day in one week. I'm starting to lose interest in the car, I have more fun building/tweaking than I do at actual track days. Something to consider for sure.

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #133
Man you’re not gonna leave the platform are you?!
I'm debating it but I'd have a hard time doing that. I'll see how I feel after next track day. I feel like I'd rather have a gnarly street car to track a few times a year vs a dedicated car like I have now. I don't know, I might just be in an automotive funk.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I completely understand that feeling. Ironically I’ve been searching for something RWD for fun street and maybe random track but more of a lower whp project car that I can enjoy building at home and driving in the mountains. I’ve always wanted a rotary. Crazy I know.

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #135
Track day this Saturday, I'll be running a Nascar oval rather than road course. Never done it before and never had interest but using it as an opportunity to see if I've fixed the cooling issues or not. I might accidentally have fun doing it, who knows?

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I completely understand that feeling. Ironically I’ve been searching for something RWD for fun street and maybe random track but more of a lower whp project car that I can enjoy building at home and driving in the mountains. I’ve always wanted a rotary. Crazy I know.
Have you seen these guys?
https://www.liquidpiston.com/

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Track day this Saturday, I'll be running a Nascar oval rather than road course. Never done it before and never had interest but using it as an opportunity to see if I've fixed the cooling issues or not. I might accidentally have fun doing it, who knows?
NHMS??

NO chicanes on the straights to slow you down at all?

Just bought a DIY string alignment kit (caliper garage) so I can get dialed in without paying a shop $500 everytime I want to change something. I like this one because I can keep it attached to the car when I jack it up to change toe. I am also getting really tempted to cut a hole in the strut towers and just use a strut brace to support it. @Woods247 Your setup that 2J did for you is very sick. I also have some TD's on the way to help with some better tire choices in the 15's range. Itching to get back out once it cools down again! Too many car changes and not enough seat time!