Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

I have a major oil burning issue...help!!

OP
ywgbandit
Thread Starter #21
Yep already considered that...all you have to do is look at the piston crown in these things and you know there is a high probability of head damage too. This could exceed the depth of my wallet!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Throw a used engine in any 1.6 liter EcoBoost will work put the stock turbo back on, and call it a day.

I'm sorry this happened to you.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
ywgbandit
Thread Starter #23
I have been told that installing the head onto a short block can be a problem because of the sophisticated variable valve timing mechanism. Anyone got any feedback on that?

OP
ywgbandit
Thread Starter #24
Throw a used engine in any 1.6 liter EcoBoost will work put the stock turbo back on, and call it a day.

I'm sorry this happened to you.

My engine that blew only has 20K km (About 13,000 miles) so I really don't want to buy something used!

OP
ywgbandit
Thread Starter #25
So can anyone confirm or deny the difficulty of the head installation in regards to the valve timing mechanism???

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Can't change what happened, so I either sell her as is or fix her. I'm thinking a Mountune short block is the way to go, not sure I want to put the same shit back in that failed.
I was only running 24 psi peak boost with my S280 too....pretty conservative I thought. Oh well, nobody got hurt or died.....except my wallet!!!
24 is pretty high ain't it?? Poor tuning can blow an engine, even without an bolt-on.

OP
ywgbandit
Thread Starter #27
Make sure you check the valves these engines are interference engines and there's no telling how that piece of piston fall off affected them.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
I think I'll get a long block and just replace everything. I'm pretty sure I got bad gas from our local Mobil station. It's most likely they put 87 octane in the 91 tank....again. This has happened there before and I should have known better than to buy from them. There is a hole burnt right thru the center of #4 piston.

OP
ywgbandit
Thread Starter #28
24 is pretty high ain't it?? Poor tuning can blow an engine, even without an bolt-on.
That was 24 peak, it runs about 22 once it settles, I didn't think that was too much for an S280. I am pretty sure it was bad gas....lower octane than what the pump said. Hole burnt thru #4 piston. Can't blame the tune for that!

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
That was 24 peak, it runs about 22 once it settles, I didn't think that was too much for an S280. I am pretty sure it was bad gas....lower octane than what the pump said. Hole burnt thru #4 piston. Can't blame the tune for that!
Super weird.. Was this the base tune or were you a few revisions into tuning? Is there a chance the boost control solenoid was plumbed incorrectly? Can you share the datalog from when it happened? Who is your tuner/what did they say?

OP
ywgbandit
Thread Starter #32
This was the 5th revision from Jason at Dizzy. I'm very sure it wasn't the tune, because the car was running fantastic for weeks but I had just tried a different brand of fuel. This was the first drive on the new brand of gas. Most expensive tank of gas I ever bought!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
This was the 5th revision from Jason at Dizzy. I'm very sure it wasn't the tune, because the car was running fantastic for weeks but I had just tried a different brand of fuel. This was the first drive on the new brand of gas. Most expensive tank of gas I ever bought!
I would get a sample of the gas and have it tested if you can prove its bad gas and you bought from that station you could sue them for damages in small claims court. the top value these days is 10k

OP
ywgbandit
Thread Starter #36
I can get a long block from Ford for $4200.00 less the $1100.00, so $3100.00 net (Canadian dollars), not counting labour. So can this engine come out from the top or does a guy need a lift to be able to drop it out the bottom?
I will never again buy premium gas from a hose that is shared with the other grades of fuel. I should have stuck with Chevron, where their 94 has it's own pump and hose.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I can get a long block from Ford for $4200.00 less the $1100.00, so $3100.00 net (Canadian dollars), not counting labour. So can this engine come out from the top or does a guy need a lift to be able to drop it out the bottom?
I will never again buy premium gas from a hose that is shared with the other grades of fuel. I should have stuck with Chevron, where their 94 has it's own pump and hose.
I will say this again get the fuel tested and sue that station for selling you the wrong gas by not having a separate hose for each grade. You have a case man.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
A separate hose for each fuel type maybe that's more common in Canada but not where I live. Typically more common of older stations where I live but not new ones.

But anyway as the other person has mentioned get the fuel tested. I don't know crap about Canadian law but in America you could sue for that.

OP
ywgbandit
Thread Starter #39
Not so much here in Canada. I got a free consultation from a lawyer today and he said it would be hard to prove. It would cost me more out of pocket than the engine and a big company like Mobil could drag it out for years. Small claims here is up to $35K so they bring out the big guns. First I have to get the gas tested.