Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

I have a major oil burning issue...help!!

OP
ywgbandit
Thread Starter #61
I still have that fuel in my tank and if I can find where to send it to get it tested, I will. I have been told that the new long block engines from Ford only come with the new style heads no matter what year your car is. Hopefully with the new block and a Mountune radiator this will solve the problem. FYI the spark plug electrodes including #4 cyl. look like new. No sign of melting, metal deposits or damage at all.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
SUpposedly tuning doesn't damage an engine... yet we have damaged engines... and nearly all of the tuned. Go figure.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
SUpposedly tuning doesn't damage an engine... yet we have damaged engines... and nearly all of the tuned. Go figure.
I think each individual case can have different parameters to why things happened. To make the assumption you write above is being uninformed of the those situations,
For instance Wes Roy admittedly blew up his engine and admitted pushing it hard at 34lbs of boost with his S280 . He also admitted pushing it hard when it was on tunes with the stock turbo.
The Factory setup the engine to safely run at 22llbs psi boost . Tuners depending on the tuner either tune it to around 25lbs or 28lbs or farther if the customer is willing to push it a little.
You have to factor that in. Plus in 2014-2015 there was a known problem that Ford copped too but only did a band aid fix on. Raamaudio’s car blew a head gasket not even pushing it in mid 60’s weather. His car also fell into the time period. Ford knew enough internally that after 2016 the part number for our heads changed. Again not the fault of a tuner or someone pushing the car. So you cannot just make the blind assumption statement you make above . There are mitigating circumstances in all instances.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I think each individual case can have different parameters to why things happened. To make the assumption you write above is being uninformed of the those situations,
For instance Wes Roy admittedly blew up his engine and admitted pushing it hard at 34lbs of boost with his S280 . He also admitted pushing it hard when it was on tunes with the stock turbo.
The Factory setup the engine to safely run at 22llbs psi boost . Tuners depending on the tuner either tune it to around 25lbs or 28lbs or farther if the customer is willing to push it a little.
You have to factor that in. Plus in 2014-2015 there was a known problem that Ford copped too but only did a band aid fix on. Raamaudio’s car blew a head gasket not even pushing it in mid 60’s weather. His car also fell into the time period. Ford knew enough internally that after 2016 the part number for our heads changed. Again not the fault of a tuner or someone pushing the car. So you cannot just make the blind assumption statement you make above . There are mitigating circumstances in all instances.
You're saying I'm making an assumption so I'll do the same for you. Making an assumption that it is impossible for the tune to play role, is uninformed.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
You're saying I'm making an assumption so I'll do the same for you. Making an assumption that it is impossible for the tune to play role, is uninformed.
I never said that and you need to go back and read my post, I mentioned that there were factors involved, I even pointed out that in some cases depending on the tune it was possible by stating the amount of boost a tuner might allow.
So in effect you are trying to put words in my mouth and claim I said something I did not.

You quite differently said in your words that it looks like tunes are the culprit of all blown engines. What I did was point out that it was not always that way and it all depended on the tune and other factors.

You have failed hard in your rebuttal I suggest you concede this debate as you have lost.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I never said that and you need to go back and read my post, ..........
...and so now you get my point?

...I mentioned that there were factors involved, I even pointed out that in some cases depending on the tune it was possible by stating the amount of boost a tuner might allow.
So in effect you are trying to put words in my mouth and claim I said something I did not.
You quite differently said in your words that it looks like tunes are the culprit of all blown engines. What I did was point out that it was not always that way and it all depended on the tune and other factors.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
...and so now you get my point?

Dude give it up. Your point strictly was hmmm I guess all cars with tunes blow up. That is pretty much what you said . stop trying to psycho twist your way out of what you said.
I never did not get it. lol all I did say was thats not always the case and to say that is making a blind assumption. Do you fail at comprehending that? Do not answer that was rhetorical.

Last edited:

Erick_V

I guess all cars with tunes blow up.
I go through tires every year and I'm also blaming my tune. Not the torque from E30 or monthly autocross.

On a serious note OP you should look for a low mile motor. They used these engines for a ton of cars. I'm sure you could fine one for less that half the price of an OEM. But it does narrow your search if you're looking for one with the same if not less miles than your car.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
It happened as I was doing a datalog at about 5500 rpm and I never competed the log. The plugs from cylinders 1 thru 3 were fine., #4 was black and oily. I had just filled up and my tank was almost completely empty, which was the only reason I filled up at the Mobil station. (Small town with limited choices) Which I have since found out is not the same as in the USA. Mobil here is located on Superstore or Independent Grocers lots and they sell Esso gas. They are "Mobil" in name only. Like most pumps here the 87, 89 and 91 octane all come out of the same hose. 91 is ethanol free, 87 is 10% and 89 is blended inside the pump 50/50 and has 5% ethanol. I have been running this tune for 5 weeks on Chevron gas with no issues. Coincidence or gas? I suspect the fuel. Problem is I have to drive an hour one way to get Chevron. My tuner is Jason from Dizzy tunes and he has always been very conservative in the process and the car had very smooth and steady power band. My car was bought used with 8,800km (5468 miles) the car had just under 20K km (12,400 miles) when it grenaded. I unfortunately read after this happened that early production 2015's had the heads that overheated. This may have been a major contributing factor. I was also very suspicious as to why the previous owner was selling with such low mileage.....I may have found out? I have't had the heart to start the teardown yet, so that's all I have for now.
Did you delete the log? Even if it is not complete, I would love to see it. Can you post photos of the spark plugs? Bad fuel would be evident by the plugs, and if they don't have signs of detonation, the fuel likely had nothing to do with it.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I'm sure you could find one out of a low-mileage escape or fusion that was totaled in a wreck.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Dude give it up. Your point strictly was hmmm I guess all cars with tunes blow up. That is pretty much what you said . stop trying to psycho twist your way out of what you said.
I never did not get it. lol all I did say was thats not always the case and to say that is making a blind assumption. Now either you can’t comperehend simple sentences or your just a loser troll.
I guess you don't get the point. Oh well. Can lead a horse to water...

Erick_V

Did you delete the log? Even if it is not complete, I would love to see it. Can you post photos of the spark plugs? Bad fuel would be evident by the plugs, and if they don't have signs of detonation, the fuel likely had nothing to do with it.
Unfortunately I think uncompleted logs show up as corrupted. I want to see the plugs too. OEM range or step colder? I'm leaning toward fuel causing detonation or a lack of fuel in Cyl 4 specifically. However, if it was bad fuel it would be somewhat evident from the corrections just driving around town.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I guess you don't get the point. Oh well. Can lead a horse to water...
lol pot meet kettle. I called out your point as being a blind assumption and gave evidence of that and why I disagreed. I still don’t agree will not agree and you are proving to be quite bizarre here . I think you need a new sn as intuitive you are not.

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
lol pot meet kettle. I called out your point as being a blind assumption and gave evidence of that and why I disagreed. I still don’t agree will not agree and you are proving to be quite bizarre here . I think you need a new sn as intuitive you are not.
Good night Dpro. 🙄

OP
ywgbandit
Thread Starter #80
This is the second last Datalog, the last one did not register or I didn't record it. AP has been requiring two presses of the button sometimes. I could only load it as a .pdf file hope it works.

Attachments