Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

eBay radiator

So basically I'm broke and I need a radiator. I had a oil cooler and the 160degree thermostat and that kept the car from overheating on mountain runs and what not. But the oil cooler line broke and I had to remove it and I'm not going down the oil cooler road again. EBay has multiple brands of aluminum radiators and I wanted to know if anyone has had success with them and if so which one? Also I don't want to have to take the front end off the car so I'm assuming 40mm and under would slide right in? Or should I wait like 3 months and save up for the Koyo radiator???

OP
agangel
Thread Starter #4
Have you checked pricing on Rock Auto? They usually have some budget friendly options.
Just looked but I didn't see an aluminum radiator. I'm basically looking for a mountune radiator clone.

OP
agangel
Thread Starter #6
Any reason these listing all seem to exclude the 2019? Newer owner, with a 2019, here.
I have no clue... Some of the listings are for only up to 2017(I didn't post those as mine is a 2018). I'll bet there all the same as long as the measurements are the same. Some are listed as 40mm thick(mountune clone) and some are listed as 2inches thick(mishimoto clone). Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 40mm one can slide right in without removing the crash bar. My biggest worry buying one is that the mounting points could be off as I've read before. But I've read people complaining that the whoosh radiator (I think a mountune clone) has fitment issues because the mounting points are welded slightly off too. So the whoosh radiator might be one of these ebay radiators but which one..... Which one is of the highest quality and which one will have the best fitment.

Last edited:

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Any reason these listing all seem to exclude the 2019? Newer owner, with a 2019, here.
I don't have any reason to think the 2019 radiator is different. It's probably just the usual imprecision in a parts listing on a website that's not specific to Ford parts.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
This discussion made me remember an earlier discussion on here where Ford had reported a larger capacity for one of the later year radiators on the spec sheet in the ST manual. Most people thought it was a typo, and I remember checking the part numbers for the 2018 and the 2019 radiators on Tasca Parts, and confirming that they have the same part number.

Last edited:

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
This discussion made me remember an earlier discussion on here where Ford had reported a larger capacity for one of the later year radiators on the spec sheet in the ST manual. Most people thought it was a typo, and I remember checking the part numbers for the 2018 and the 2019 radiators on Tasca Parts, and confirming that they have the same part number.
Was it this? My 2019 Supplemental manual states 8.5 qts while the Owners manual states 5.8 qts. Thought typo but noticed the L also reflected the different amounts.

Attachments

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Was it this? My 2019 Supplemental manual states 8.5 qts while the Owners manual states 5.8 qts. Thought typo but noticed the L also reflected the different amounts.
I believe that was where the larger capacity was incorrectly reported. I double-checked the part numbers for the 2018 and the 2019 radiators, and again confirmed that they are the same, so I believe that the radiators are the same for all model years. The radiator part number for my 2016 is also the same as it is for those two years.The ST supplemental manual for my 2016 states a capacity of 6.1 quarts, or 5.8 L, and the regular owner's manual states the same thing.
I'm pretty certain that if Ford had in fact increased the capacity for the radiator for 2019, that it would have then had a different part number. Maybe one of the parts experts on here can chime in on that.

To the OP, it's easy for me to spend your money, but I would really try to avoid one of those cheap generic radiators on eBay if there's any way that you can do it. It's such a critical component in the car, and if the car overheats, you could ruin your engine. If it was me, I would start saving up for one of the better radiators, like a Mountune or a Koyo. Sometimes a helpful way to catch something on sale is to bookmark it on your computer, and check it frequently to see if it goes on sale. My Chrome browser even has a feature where you can ask it to notify you if a price goes down on an item that you're looking at.

Last edited:
OP
agangel
Thread Starter #12
I believe that was where the larger capacity was incorrectly reported. I double-checked the part numbers for the 2018 and the 2019 radiators, and again confirmed that they are the same, so I believe that the radiators are the same for all model years. The radiator part number for my 2016 is also the same as it is for those two years.The ST supplemental manual for my 2016 states a capacity of 6.1 quarts, or 5.8 L, and the regular owner's manual states the same thing.
I'm pretty certain that if Ford had in fact increased the capacity for the radiator for 2019, that it would have then had a different part number. Maybe one of the parts experts on here can chime in on that.

To the OP, it's easy for me to spend your money, but I would really try to avoid one of those cheap generic radiators on eBay if there's any way that you can do it. It's such a critical component in the car, and if the car overheats, you could ruin your engine. If it was me, I would start saving up for one of the better radiators, like a Mountune or a Koyo. Sometimes a helpful way to catch something on sale is to bookmark it on your computer, and check it frequently to see if it goes on sale. My Chrome browser even has a feature where you can ask it to notify you if a price goes down on an item that you're looking at.
Welp I didn't want to hear that but I know you're right. I'll hold off for now and any mountain runs I'll blast the heater and save up money for the Koyo or Mountune.

Dialcaliper

Cheap stuff off eBay is international, not just US, so likely it’s listed as thru 2018 for the Mk7-7.5 in UK/Europe/Elsewhere. 2019’s everywhere else changed to the 3-cyl Mk8 Fiesta, while the US got an extended year of the same Mk7 based car.

OP
agangel
Thread Starter #15
Get the GPI Racing intercooler from eBay, it's a mishimoto clone. I've had mine for two years zero problems
Was it the radiator or intercooler? If it was the radiator, to install it did you have to take the crash bar off or did it slide right in? Thanks for the info.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
What you save in $ is not worth the potential problems in my mind. The Mountune goes in slowly taking care to install it but fits like stock and no problems. Remember you get what you pay for, buy junk and you get junk. I just saved the additional $150 and got the Mountune. You will thank yourself.

OP
agangel
Thread Starter #17
What you save in $ is not worth the potential problems in my mind. The Mountune goes in slowly taking care to install it but fits like stock and no problems. Remember you get what you pay for, buy junk and you get junk. I just saved the additional $150 and got the Mountune. You will thank yourself.
I know you're right and I'm 99.9999% going with the Mountune. I'm just curious at this point what worked for people, gathering information. My wife has a focus hatchback so that's our long range mountain car right now. So I'm not really in a rush. Most likely I'll just get the Mountune rad sometime before next summer.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I know you're right and I'm 99.9999% going with the Mountune. I'm just curious at this point what worked for people, gathering information. My wife has a focus hatchback so that's our long range mountain car right now. So I'm not really in a rush. Most likely I'll just get the Mountune rad sometime before next summer.
I never had overheating until the SW mountains on vacation. When I got home in E. TN I put the Mountune in. This year we took wife's Coyote Mustang and no heating issues with it out there, lol!

Lol!!! you think mountune makes their parts in the USA. They're all made in China, like I said I've had my GPI Racing intercooler that I bought off eBay for 2 years zero problems and it actually cools 1-2 degrees better than a mountune one. I've installed both because I have a friend who's a brand person too and his mountune radiator fit just as bad as my eBay one. The GPI racing one actually got better because I recently installed another one in a new Fiesta ST buddy and it actually got better than my older GPI radiator. It's your money but I would save some and get the eBay radiator.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Lol!!! you think mountune makes their parts in the USA. They're all made in China, like I said I've had my GPI Racing intercooler that I bought off eBay for 2 years zero problems and it actually cools 1-2 degrees better than a mountune one. I've installed both because I have a friend who's a brand person too and his mountune radiator fit just as bad as my eBay one. The GPI racing one actually got better because I recently installed another one in a new Fiesta ST buddy and it actually got better than my older GPI radiator. It's your money but I would save some and get the eBay radiator.
How do you know what I think? You don't know me. LOL!
What I know is there are junk Chinese parts and high quality Chinese parts. It is about quality for me and Mountune has always provided high quality products for my car. NOW you know what I think about this. My Mountune radiator fit like stock and no mods needed to mount it. Drop in......