Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

If you were to build your own stage 2...

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Pardon my ignorance, what is a v-dyno? I have used a dyno jet in the past. I looked on mountune and there 230 package knocks a full second 5.9 to 60. This pumps out way more power. What car would this stage 2 (FMIC e30) keep up with?
V-Dyno is a hypothetical dynamometer computer program that calculates hp/tq based on measured distance covered over time using math derived from vehicle data. A real dyno does the same thing without much concern towards the vehicle because the rollers are of a known mass.
So what's the story behind that? I remember it was a big contention point and a lot of what I learned about the car early on were from hsi (very) data-driven posts and testing methodologies.
I'll shoot you a pm from my computer sometime.

twolf

Jeff, you can't say that V-dyno is useless in another thread because it is a vdyno, then use it in this thread to claim intakes give power. :p

dyn085

2000 Post Club
That guy... *facepalm* I could have gone the rest of my life without reading that name.
I feel the same way, yet I'm also drawn to find out more about what craziness he's posting in a similar manner to being drawn towards the destruction of a train wreck.

That guy must have access to some seriously good drugs...

KKaWing

Sure thing. I'd like to know more, because I've got your old buddy RDgolfer up my ass on the FiestaST subreddit accusing me of being him. :p
Wooow... I just pulled up that page. And I thought I had it bad with my rice intake post. Umm... so can I actually get a translation of what he is rambling about? I've never understood most of his posts.

Wooow... I just pulled up that page. And I thought I had it bad with my rice intake post. Umm... so can I actually get a translation of what he is rambling about? I've never understood most of his posts.
He's upset with me. I think he was trying to hide, but I pretty much guessed it was him and then he confirmed it all on his own. All he does is post gibberish and attacks whenever people disagree with him on the littlest things. Nobody can understand a damn thing he says.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Jeff, you can't say that V-dyno is useless in another thread because it is a vdyno, then use it in this thread to claim intakes give power. :p
Never said it was useless. What I said was that I agreed that it was a good way to compare log to log but that I did not trust it as a way to disprove a real dyno.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Never said it was useless. What I said was that I agreed that it was a good way to compare log to log but that I did not trust it as a way to disprove a real dyno.
Until people understand that a dynamometer is just a testing device to measure delta gains they are not going to understand why it's useless to compare one dyno to another. Furthermore, if people can't understand why third-party testing is more pertinent than manufacturer-testing then they are always going to be 'sold' on 'real' dyno charts that specify different tunes on different days in the test comments and think that power differences are simply coming from the part installed. Basically, until people become educated on the testing processes they will continue to be ignorant of the results.

I'm not saying that manufacturers are inherently evil or intentionally trying to mislead, just that they have a vested interest in showing gains whereas third-parties only live in the data and sharing of knowledge.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Until people understand that a dynamometer is just a testing device to measure delta gains they are not going to understand why it's useless to compare one dyno to another. Furthermore, if people can't understand why third-party testing is more pertinent than manufacturer-testing then they are always going to be 'sold' on 'real' dyno charts that specify different tunes on different days in the test comments and think that power differences are simply coming from the part installed. Basically, until people become educated on the testing processes they will continue to be ignorant of the results.

I'm not saying that manufacturers are inherently evil or intentionally trying to mislead, just that they have a vested interest in showing gains whereas third-parties only live in the data and sharing of knowledge.
I appreciate this info. I mean no disrespect in any of my opinions here. Though several people continue to insult me I have not retaliated in fashion.

What I'm sharing is simple logic. Concerning my issue with Hijinx's vdyno:

1, I do feel it shows a gain, as do others as posted on the other thread where we've been debating.
2, If he were so concerned about it being an accurate way to show the difference between the car with or without the intake, it would seem to me that using different fuel for the two logs is the exact wrong way to go about that. That only further compromises the integrity of using those runs as proof that the intake shows no gains. This seems pretty obvious to me.
3, As I said elsewhere, no dyno or vdyno is perfect. Slight changes in many variables will affect things a little or a lot. I shared my experience with this from my Subaru days, two logs taken within an hour which showed significant differences. It happens.

In the end I simply trust a real dyno, be it done by a manufacturer or not, when compared to a vdyno. The immature arguments and childish tone of those arguing lend further doubt to whether said people have any real integrity when even performing such comparisons, but even if that were not the case I still feel the same. I'd rather put my faith in those with years of manufacturing and engineering experience and multiple real Dyno's done on real cars. Beyond that, I have talked with two vendors here and one tuner and all agree that after seeing dozens of dyno runs on our cars, intakes do help so long as they are closed like the CPE.

Yes I could swap out the intakes and do logs but I have no interest in taking my car apart to prove a point that I already feel is proven.

I am happy that we have all found our own paths to customize these wonderful cars and respect the mod choices of everyone involved, along with their passion for cars, whether or not we agree and no matter how I am treated. As I told Hijinx, maybe one day we will have a beer together and talk cars, I am sure we could learn from one another.

On another note, I have enjoyed using vdyno in the last week to take a look at the differences in the curve of my tune revisions. For that it is a great tool.

OP
B
Thread Starter #31
The only intake mod I might consider is the snorkel. Spending $300+ to gain minimal hp is pointless for me not planning on future mods besides FMIC and E30 tune. I created this thread to see if I want to venture down this rabbit hole. I really love your passion and insight but it's a bit above what I'm looking to do.

Stock 197/210 0-60 6.7
FMIC/E30 ??? ???

Finally, what is the largest percentage of ethanol can the car support safely with just a FMIC.

What is the best way to get a AP? Mountune offers free revisions for 45 days. MAP has a stellar stage one that is free. What is my best bet? What would you do starting fresh?

jeff

2000 Post Club
Haha sorry your thread turned into this.

Check out Boostbumps thread, he did a DIY intake snorkel that probably is comparable to the big mouth and would cost you about $5.

Not sure on 0-60 numbers, I don't know that you're gonna find those stats....you'd still probably have to make two shifts to 60 unless redline is increased...but I will tell you that from a roll a car with your planned mods will have much better passing power.

Good luck.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
The only intake mod I might consider is the snorkel. Spending $300+ to gain minimal hp is pointless for me not planning on future mods besides FMIC and E30 tune. I created this thread to see if I want to venture down this rabbit hole. I really love your passion and insight but it's a bit above what I'm looking to do.

Stock 197/210 0-60 6.7
FMIC/E30 ??? ???

Finally, what is the largest percentage of ethanol can the car support safely with just a FMIC.

What is the best way to get a AP? Mountune offers free revisions for 45 days. MAP has a stellar stage one that is free. What is my best bet? What would you do starting fresh?
E85 is outside of our fueling capabilities iirc, and going above E30-40 is diminishing gains for overall driveability when factoring in fuel mileage.

As for tuners, that's going to just be a fanboi war. My opinion as an outsider would be Stratified, and if not them then DHM. The only other tuner I would contemplate using is Freektune, and that's mostly because I don't know if they have been working much with the FiST. There's no other tuner that I would consider or recommend based on the logs that I've seen from end-users.

With a MAP intercooler, a panel filter, and an AccessPort with a custom Tune+ E30 tune I put down 212whp and close to 290wtq in V-Dyno. I didn't have a pure stock dyno, but with Cobb Stg1 tune only, IIRC it was 180-185whp and I don't recall the torque. The difference between my E30 and 91 octane custom tunes was around 15whp IIRC.

I had asked my tuner (Adam at Tune+) about gains from an auxiliary fueling system and running E85 on the stock turbo and he told me I won't get any more out of the tiny thing over E30. Considering he sells the fuel systems, I'd imagine if E85 would help at all he'd be happy to take my money.

I'd suggest getting an AccessPort, a Tune+ lifetime tune package, and an intercooler first (I'd also suggest a RMM but that won't help power obviously, and a panel filter mostly because they are cheap and will pay for itself in the long run). Run that, if you find you want more noise or to spend a bunch more money to chase a few more hp, then go from there and just get the free re-tunes each time.

OP
B
Thread Starter #35
Yeah, the 0-60 times are hard to come by. I should of phrased it more like: would a e30&fmic make more power and be faster than lets say a mountune 230? Or a Cobb stage 3? I thought maybe an aggressive tune on e30 might make more than the dp and exhaust on premium gas.

I didn't mean to ignite a tuner war. I'm sure they are all solid and it's a personal choice. I'm fortunate to be in a area surrounded by e85.
I just wanted someone who had a e30 tune ready with there AP. I asked about levels of ethanol because I see some guys on here running e40 and e45. Fuel consumption is a nonissue.

OP
B
Thread Starter #36
Thanks tin can. Missed that post. Tune+ sounds like the ticket to me. Great advice.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I appreciate this info. I mean no disrespect in any of my opinions here. Though several people continue to insult me I have not retaliated in fashion.

What I'm sharing is simple logic. Concerning my issue with Hijinx's vdyno:

1, I do feel it shows a gain, as do others as posted on the other thread where we've been debating.
2, If he were so concerned about it being an accurate way to show the difference between the car with or without the intake, it would seem to me that using different fuel for the two logs is the exact wrong way to go about that. That only further compromises the integrity of using those runs as proof that the intake shows no gains. This seems pretty obvious to me.
3, As I said elsewhere, no dyno or vdyno is perfect. Slight changes in many variables will affect things a little or a lot. I shared my experience with this from my Subaru days, two logs taken within an hour which showed significant differences. It happens.

In the end I simply trust a real dyno, be it done by a manufacturer or not, when compared to a vdyno. The immature arguments and childish tone of those arguing lend further doubt to whether said people have any real integrity when even performing such comparisons, but even if that were not the case I still feel the same. I'd rather put my faith in those with years of manufacturing and engineering experience and multiple real Dyno's done on real cars. Beyond that, I have talked with two vendors here and one tuner and all agree that after seeing dozens of dyno runs on our cars, intakes do help so long as they are closed like the CPE.

Yes I could swap out the intakes and do logs but I have no interest in taking my car apart to prove a point that I already feel is proven.

I am happy that we have all found our own paths to customize these wonderful cars and respect the mod choices of everyone involved, along with their passion for cars, whether or not we agree and no matter how I am treated. As I told Hijinx, maybe one day we will have a beer together and talk cars, I am sure we could learn from one another.

On another note, I have enjoyed using vdyno in the last week to take a look at the differences in the curve of my tune revisions. For that it is a great tool.
I'll address you one more time because you tried to falsify my info.

It was the same exact tune and fuel, except the car ran a little leaner. Understand? Why it ran a little leaner? Because the temps dropped about 5 degrees. Just for you, I'll put all four datalogs on a vDyno later.

Also, no dude. I don't like you. We'll never have a beer together... If for some reason we're in the same place as each other and you introduce yourself, I'll kindly tell you one time that I don't want to be associated with you.

Please understand... I do not like you. I do not wish to be associated with you. I'd also preferred if you refrained from speaking/typing my name and referencing me in any fashion. Thank you for your cooperation.

twolf

Even if it is a gain, he has a turbo that's roughly twice as large as the stock unit... it moves a considerably larger amount of air.

twolf

Yeah, the 0-60 times are hard to come by. I should of phrased it more like: would a e30&fmic make more power and be faster than lets say a mountune 230? Or a Cobb stage 3? I thought maybe an aggressive tune on e30 might make more than the dp and exhaust on premium gas.

I didn't mean to ignite a tuner war. I'm sure they are all solid and it's a personal choice. I'm fortunate to be in a area surrounded by e85.
I just wanted someone who had a e30 tune ready with there AP. I asked about levels of ethanol because I see some guys on here running e40 and e45. Fuel consumption is a nonissue.
110% of the time, you will make more power with no mods other than a FMIC and good e30 tune than you will with every single bolt on on 93.