Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Indy 500 vs ExtremeContact Sport

I just snagged a pair of Konig Lockout in 16x7.5 +40 and am looking at 205/45/16 sizes only. Some info on my car/driving:

1) daily driver (400+ miles per week)
2) on H&R Super Sports with Koni Yellows
3) Like to throw it around corners but need decent tread life and wet traction (hence no an "extreme performance summer" tire like the Falken 660)
4) no tracking/autocross at this time

I think based on my parameters I've narrowed it down to these two. I have the Indy 500s right now on my 17" wheels and was thinking about switching it up but wondering if anyone has any experience with both these tires before I purchase a set and can point out any differences between them or have any recommendations one way or the other.

No first hand experience, but the Conti ECS are know for having excellent wet performance. It's generally thought of as the second best >200tw tire after the Michelin PS4S.

The Indy 500 is less focused on wet grip. I really like them and the wet grip certainly isn't terrible. It's also an older design. It tends to be cheaper, but it doesn't seem to be as cheap as it once was.

Tire Rack has test data of both tires, but not compared directly. You can't compare the tests directly, but you can see the relative differences in wet vs. dry performance.

Tire rack had them for priced with a $15/tire difference. I might be tempted to try the ECS for that price. That said, the ECS are listed on back order. If the price difference was $50/tire it is probably a tougher question.

Last edited:
I have no experience with the Indy, but I liked the ECS on another car. It would start overheating on extended track sessions on hot days, but not an issue for you. Like Snrub said, Tire Rack indicates better wet performance for the ECS. I’d be doing that with how much it rains around me.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I used to have continentals contact tires and LOVED them. I love being able to comfortably go 70-80 in the rain with no hydro planing.

The toyo tires that came on my car suck.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

OP
Typical Tom
Thread Starter #5
I've gone pretty fast on the highway in heavy rain on the Indy's without really skipping a beat.

I read someone saying the Conti's had soft sidewalls. Anyone have experience with this or share that sentiment?

I tried the first version of the Continental DWS all season. I was unhappy with those due to a soft sidewall feeling ruining steering response and cornering, even compared to the latest Michelin and Bridgestone all seasons of the time. I never felt that way about the ECS, they always felt decent for me.