Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Initial Troubleshooting (Rotational/Rubbing Sound from Rear of Car)

NOVA_Ranger

U.S. Army Veteran
I have a stock 2019 with roughly 45k miles, that is up on all maintenance. I use it for commuting 90 miles round trip and some spirited driving every now and then.

Arriving at work this morning with my window down I noticed a rotational and metallic rubbing sound from the rear of the car that changes with speed. The sound does not go away while rolling with the clutch depressed and brake application doesn't seem to change the sound. Based on a slow drive around the parking lot, the sound *might* ease up while making sweeping right turns but I'm not certain of this. A quick look (phone light in the dark) didn't find anything obvious...no debris caught up in a wheel or underside and nothing looks out of place. It almost sounds like a heat shield or exhaust rubbing, but not seeing any evidence of that. Exhaust looks to be good to go, not hanging down and exhaust tips are where they should be.

I had to get into work, so I wasn't able to investigate too much, and figured I'd post something to get input or learn about common issues before I go out to take another look once it is light. I'll be able to get the car up on a lift for a close look this evening, after a 45-mile drive home this afternoon. Thanks in advance!

OP
NOVA_Ranger

NOVA_Ranger

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #3
Thanks @dhminer. How prone are rear wheel bearings/hubs to failing on these cars? If I had to guess right now, I'd lean towards the rear passenger wheel bearing being bad. However, it went directly from nothing to this noise with nothing leading up to it. Always something, hah.

OP
NOVA_Ranger

NOVA_Ranger

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #4
Plot twist and update...I went out and looked things over now that it is light, and everything looks good, so I decided to drive it down to a local gas station and listen to the noise again. Not a single noise was heard, no matter how hard I tried to duplicate what I heard earlier! I'm curious to see if the noise returns once I'm driving home this afternoon and the rear wheel bearings heat up. Who knows...

Dialcaliper

Out of the car, grab the wheel and shake hard. Sometimes wheel bearing issues will cause some play in the hub.

Check rear caliper for parking brake adjust, and also for sticky slide pins that may cause the pad to drag.

If you have another person to help, have them either drive slowly or push the car while you follow along beside the wheel. Issues can be more obvious when you can look and listen right at them.

Also worth checking if a fender liner is loose or something

OP
NOVA_Ranger

NOVA_Ranger

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #9
I don’t think there is a specific wheel bearing problem, but definitely a wear item. Especially if you drive in winter slush.
The car hasn’t seen any winter driving and I’ll break out the truck for driving in that. Going to give the car a good once over this evening just to play it safe.