Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is Cobb selling us out?

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I should have moved more quickly in having my hybrid installed, base mapped and datalogged. Not gonna start the doom and gloom yet but this probably will suck.

Will wait to see what tuners are saying.

* checked subbie forums. Doesnt sound good there.

Last edited:

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Political content is not wanted on this forum.
They only cause arguments.
Please take these discussions to other forums.
Also, PLEASE make your comments be heard in Local, State, and Federal Elections.

Last edited:

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
It isn't that big if a deal on our platform and a minor inconvenience on others.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Man they’re blocking the old software versions of Access Tuner as well. That’s super dick. Seems like they’re not making an exception for unregistered track cars either. There must be something else in the marketplace we can move to. I’ll miss the AP gauges but I still love a-pillar gauge pods so I guess there’s that option. 😂

so, it seems like basically cobb is getting fined by the EPA, as well as other tuning companies (I've heard rumors that even tuners themselves, but not sure)

seems like really the only thing that will change for us ford guys is anything that affects emissions, so I guess catless tunes? that's the only thing I can think of.

the Subie guys are really mad. I've never had a Subie, but I assume for whatever reason it affects them more than it does us. I've heard of 2 tuners now moving the ECUtek, never heard of them, but they are based in the UK so maybe they won't be forced to change stuff as fast as they cant be fined by the EPA?

seems like open source is the way to go now ( as it is with many things...)

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I just ordered my AP. Does this mean I need to return it before I even open it?
Not if you keep your OEM CAT and don’t want e30.

Edit: That’s how I read it but I could be wrong. Read the article for yourself and make a decision based on your opinion.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The way I read the article was that you won't be able to bypass emissions systems on any car or run ethanol blends on certain cars. It seemed like they were specifically talking about the Nissan GTR & Subaru vehicles in regards to flex fuel, since they use an analog system to run it.

Analog Flex Fuel
Because current analog flex fuel systems impact some of the signal processing of the identified key sensor and DTC signals, we have removed both the analog Nissan and Subaru Flex Fuel feature sets.
Otherwise aside from no longer simply being able to bypass O2 codes or turn off the EVAP there should be no real change for the Fiesta / Focus tuning.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
The way I read the article was that you won't be able to bypass emissions systems on any car or run ethanol blends on certain cars. It seemed like they were specifically talking about the Nissan GTR & Subaru vehicles in regards to flex fuel, since they use an analog system to run it.

Otherwise aside from no longer simply being able to bypass O2 codes or turn off the EVAP there should be no real change for the Fiesta / Focus tuning.
Hopefully a defouler like Vibrant is still an option for DP upgrade. Otherwise I have a 630 dollar paperweight.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Was going to email tuner but going to let the dust settle and hopefully will get some input from some once they have a grasp on the changes. Crossing fingers this isn't going to cripple my plans and parts investments.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hopefully a defouler like Vibrant is still an option for DP upgrade. Otherwise I have a 630 dollar paperweight.
Donwpipe upgrades on the stock turbo are already proven to be inefficient. Get a high flow catted downpipe if you are going with a hybrid / big turbo. There is no reason why a street driven vehicle shouldn't have an emissions system in place.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donwpipe upgrades on the stock turbo are already proven to be inefficient. Get a high flow catted downpipe if you are going with a hybrid / big turbo. There is no reason why a street driven vehicle shouldn't have an emissions system in place.
There's a whoosh hybrid as part of the package

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
So as I read it they are making new tunes emission legal and discontinuing support of their illegal tunes. Was expected, like the Mountune MP-215 you will be locked out for making changes to keep it legal. The EPA gave notice about a year ago that "off road only" no longer applied to gas engine mods. It will come down to what Ford is already doing, selling legal tunes and parts. Maybe GM is also doing it. This is all fodder for the EPA saying "I'm sorry, please don't prosecute we will stop". After some of the massive diesel fines for the same thing I would think the largest seller of illegal tunes (I think) should be worried. It could also be part of a plea agreement, time will tell. The EPA said they were not coming for the consumer but were going after the tuners. The Cobb site is jacked making the changes. Says FiST Stage 1 is 50 states legal but links for Stage 2 do not work. I would say nice cars with illegal tunes just went up in value!

Mikey456

So as I read it they are making new tunes emission legal and discontinuing support of their illegal tunes. Was expected, like the Mountune MP-215 you will be locked out for making changes to keep it legal. The EPA gave notice about a year ago that "off road only" no longer applied to gas engine mods. It will come down to what Ford is already doing, selling legal tunes and parts. Maybe GM is also doing it. This is all fodder for the EPA saying "I'm sorry, please don't prosecute we will stop". After some of the massive diesel fines for the same thing I would think the largest seller of illegal tunes (I think) should be worried. It could also be part of a plea agreement, time will tell. The EPA said they were not coming for the consumer but were going after the tuners. The Cobb site is jacked making the changes. Says FiST Stage 1 is 50 states legal but links for Stage 2 do not work. I would say nice cars with illegal tunes just went up in value!
I’m not sure cars with “illegal” tunes went up in value when Cobb will not allow these folks to update their Accessport anymore.

Last edited: