Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is ignition correction what limits the Tunes power?

Magnetic

Hey All,

I was looking at my most recent data log and was curious to know if ignition correction (degrees) is what limits the power output of the tune? I can see my ignition correction is always 1. So to me it seems that this will dictate how much timing will be limited on the Tune.

What is everyone else seeing for their ignition corrections?

***Update - The reason I'm asking is because my car is running lower power numbers than a lot of folks with the Whoosh Hybrid Turbo and I'm trying to find out why. I think it's because I told the tuner I wanted a SAFE tune. So if that's why the power is lower I'm totally ok. But if it's not I need to find out what the car is missing for more power. Car is on 91.

Here's the data below:

1636744108762.png

Last edited:
Now I'm not a tuner so I may be talking out of my ass, but I would think the main contributor for limiting power would be knock. Whether that be bad fuel or needing colder spark plugs or whatever else.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
you look like your Boost limited. That log looks like you are running a stock turbo with Tune levels on Boost and ya you are getting some ignition corrections. Which will pull timing, which will limit power.
What revision are you on. I was pushing 27-29lbs of boost by my second revision. Even my first tuner had me at 26lbs of boost .
I would say you should be pushing at least 25lbs but the highest boost I saw in that log was 23lbs.

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #6
you look like your Boost limited. That log looks like you are running a stock turbo with Tune levels on Boost and ya you are getting some ignition corrections. Which will pull timing, which will limit power.
What revision are you on. I was pushing 27-29lbs of boost by my second revision. Even my first tuner had me at 26lbs of boost .
I would say you should be pushing at least 25lbs but the highest boost I saw in that log was 23lbs.
Yes I hardly ever get higher than 23 and only for a moment but it's mostly 22. I think that the 11PSI TS wategate might be a bottleneck. But if knock exists then maybe even upgrading the actuator wont help.

That was the Tune I got sent to test the new Whoosh Short Ram Intake and the new AIRTEC Enlarged inlet. Adam turned the boost down 1-2 PSI he said to see how it reacts and will crank it back up. But I cant recall ever seeing higher than 23 PSI even before all this.

I'm hoping for some gains with these 2 parts I added. I sent him the log and am waiting for another revision.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Yes I hardly ever get higher than 23 and only for a moment but it's mostly 22. I think that the 11PSI TS wategate might be a bottleneck. But if knock exists then maybe even upgrading the actuator wont help.

That was the Tune I got sent to test the new Whoosh Short Ram Intake and the new AIRTEC Enlarged inlet. Adam turned the boost down 1-2 PSI he said to see how it reacts and will crank it back up. But I cant recall ever seeing higher than 23 PSI even before all this.

I'm hoping for some gains with these 2 parts I added. I sent him the log and am waiting for another revision.
Though truthfully the Whoosh hybrid is a 245-255HP on pump 91 and 255-265HP on 93. You will pick up more on E30.

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #8
Though truthfully the Whoosh hybrid is a 245-255HP on pump 91 and 255-265HP on 93. You will pick up more on E30.
Yeah so with the new Intake I dynoed 231HP and 258LBFT. That was before a tune revision.

I'm def going E30 but need to get the Injectors and HPFP 1st. Once that's done I'll be able to get around 300HP and will not have to mix. That's the only reason why I havent done E30. I don't want to mix any fuel every time I gas up. (even though there is a super close e85 station near me)

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Yeah so with the new Intake I dynoed 231HP and 258LBFT. That was before a tune revision.

I'm def going E30 but need to get the Injectors and HPFP 1st. Once that's done I'll be able to get around 300HP and will not have to mix. That's the only reason why I havent done E30. I don't want to mix any fuel every time I gas up. (even though there is a super close e85 station near me)
Well Adam will give you a pump gas tune on slot 1 and a E30 tune on slot 2 so you can switch on the fly . So if you decided you don’t want to run E30 you just do a slot change and it flashes that tune. I have done that already. I flashed E30 ran it had massive TQ steer( LSD on order) and flashed back to pump at the end of the tank and filled up with pump gas. E30 is always a mix unless you are going to go full E85 which yes is injectors and HPFP.

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #10
Well Adam will give you a pump gas tune on slot 1 and a E30 tune on slot 2 so you can switch on the fly . So if you decided you don’t want to run E30 you just do a slot change and it flashes that tune. I have done that already. I flashed E30 ran it had massive TQ steer( LSD on order) and flashed back to pump at the end of the tank and filled up with pump gas. E30 is always a mix unless you are going to go full E85 which yes is injectors and HPFP.
How does the slot stuff work? I've never gotten more than a 91 tune.

Where do you change the tune on the fly?

CSM

1000 Post Club
No. his ignition corrections are positive. So it is adding timing. This is not pulling timing (those are negative corrections)

How does the slot stuff work? I've never gotten more than a 91 tune.

Where do you change the tune on the fly?
With the cruise control off hit cancel/res and the tach should move to 1k or 2k or whatever rpm corresponds with what slot you have selected (1k is 1, 2k is 2, etc.) You use set + and set - to choose between them, then hit the cancle/res button again. I believe you can also choose from the access port as well.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Knock is what limits your cars peak power. You should log knock counts in the cylinders as well. Not really for monitor on the AP but its valuable on WOT logs

A high power tune is one that will continuiously bump timing up to the knock threshold. It will then dial timing back to a level just under where knock is occurring. This is where the theoretical peak power of the car is.

If you told the tuner to do a conservative tune, he just wont set the ceiling of the ignition timing to as high as he could. This should in theory keep the car out of the knock area

Ignition corrections is essentially how much the car is continuously adding timing, up until a ceiling. This is tuner set. +1 is pretty conservative. What revision are you on? Maybe your tuner is just feeling the car out before really bumping up timing. Ideally you'll do a log where you just tap into the knock space and then you'll back off on your ign tables a bit from that

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #14
Knock is what limits your cars peak power. You should log knock counts in the cylinders as well. Not really for monitor on the AP but its valuable on WOT logs

A high power tune is one that will continuiously bump timing up to the knock threshold. It will then dial timing back to a level just under where knock is occurring. This is where the theoretical peak power of the car is.

If you told the tuner to do a conservative tune, he just wont set the ceiling of the ignition timing to as high as he could. This should in theory keep the car out of the knock area

Ignition corrections is essentially how much the car is continuously adding timing, up until a ceiling. This is tuner set. +1 is pretty conservative. What revision are you on? Maybe your tuner is just feeling the car out before really bumping up timing. Ideally you'll do a log where you just tap into the knock space and then you'll back off on your ign tables a bit from that
I believe I had 5 revisions when the car was originally tuned.

Since then I've added the Whoosh intake and the AIRTEC inlet. So I ordered a new tune.

This data log came from loading the new tune with the boost dialed back a hair to see how the motor acts with the new parts. The tuner said he's going to bump up the boost again on the next revision.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Knock is what limits power on a tune.

The tuner can adjust how much timing is added (max), and how much can be pulled. We can also adjust the speed/intensity of how they are applied and when to start applying.

It all depends on how the tuner constructs their timing maps and strategy.